Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

77 vs 79 value

Old 05-13-2018, 10:03 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 77 vs 79 value

I'm looking for my first air cooled 911. Trying to learn about the various differences in the model years from 76-89.
I found a 77 S model I like and also a 79 SC. As part of my research I like to use the Hagarty valuation tool.

For the 77 Hagarty list the average value for a good example at $16,900 and an excellent example at $31,700
For the 79 Hagarty list the average value for a good example at $36,300 and an excellent example at $50,500.

That seems like a huge change over 2 model years. I understand starting in 78 the SC had the 3.0 liter motor and I have read a lot of negatives on the 76-77 motor. Other than that can some of you guys more in tune with the market speak to the reasons for the large value difference?
Thoughts on buying a very nice 77 for about the same price as a good 79? Is the stigma of the 77 model gonna kill me when it comes time to sell or will a very nice example still bring good money? Dont really intend to buy it worrying about resale value but at the same time I wouldn't want to make a stupid purchase if the 77 is really not desirable in the Porsche world.

Thank for the input.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,011 Likes on 718 Posts

There is no question that 74-77 has a stigma in Porsche world. The more educated will understand most of the issues have been resolved with possible exception to galvanizing. As you cant really fix that
The 74-77 had varying degrees of rust protection so you would have to have it checked .
Many 74-77 the original engine is gone replaced with a 3 or the original 2.7 is repaired.
Some other differences include SC flares which make the car look more attractive
But here is thing. Stigma is stigma. Wether you can explain it away or not some people will always believe the SC Is a superior car and worth more.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:59 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
But here is thing. Stigma is stigma. Wether you can explain it away or not some people will always believe the SC Is a superior car and worth more.
Thank you for the feedback. This is my primary concern.

Appreciate anyone else contributing their thoughts as well.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

There are plenty of people that like the mid-years. They like the narrower body, lighter weight, and I understand a well-built 2.7L is more free-reving than the 3.0L and very fun to drive. I also agree with Ice that in the broad market they do carry a stigma. It may take longer to resell at a good price. But I think it can also be argued that a well-sorted mid-year is the last remaining bargain in the air-cooled world (for now).

If you like the look of the mid-year, then I wouldn't hesitate. Like any of these cars, you have to do your homework. Just make sure you get a good inspection, particularly for hidden rust. If it still has the 2.7L, then I don't think the price should be top dollar without records of engine work. I believe the 2.7L cars also have more interesting colors available than the SCs.

Post some photos and see what the rest of the group thinks.

Read through this thread too, you can learn a lot about the market: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ra-values.html

Mark
Old 05-13-2018, 12:19 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Will check out that thread Mark. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the 74-77 is a narrow body 911( like that of 69-73 long wheel base car). It is the lowest price of the 911 food chain. Nothing wrong with them. The engines have head stud issue, but that can be fixed. Any car this old will need to be gone through anyhow.

The 79-84 911SC is a 3.0L and has the wider rear fenders like that of a 73 Carrera RS and 74-77 Carrera. The 3.0L is fairly solid and makes for a good street car. It too is old and will need to be gone through if it hasnt already.

To me, either car can be hot rodded. So it just comes down to your taste in narrow body or wide body as your starting point and if you are willing to pay a little more for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 77 vs 79 value