Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

LED Turn Signal Lights

Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED Turn Signal Lights

This morning I finished up a lighting project that I had started back in January.

I had purchased an LED Lighting Kit from Carmagic. The owner, and chief engineer, of Carmagic is a fellow PCA member and a very good guy to know and to have living close.

I wanted LED lights to increase my car's visibility when driving. My brake and turn signal lights are 34 years old. They may have been adequate when people paid attention to their driving; but now they are on their cell phones, texting, playing with the GPS, watching videos...you get the picture. I want to be seen!

Carmagic's LED Kit for air-cooled 911's contained LED replacements for all my exterior bulbs (ex.headlights & fogs). I had previously installed all the bulbs except the F/R turn signal bulbs and the small turn indicator bulbs in the tach.

Installing the LED turn signals required a small amount of rewiring on the backside of the tach. I have an updated electronic tach because I did not want to see the stupid "unshift indicator" arrow every 5 seconds!! I was missing the proper ground connection that was required to rewire my tach. Carmagic

made me a special wiring harness that allowed me to access a proper ground on the backside of my speedo...it worked great.

Installing the LED turn signals first involves replacing the 4 incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. I then had to replace my turn signal/flasher relay with the one provided by Carmagic. Next, I removed the steering wheel to gain easy access to the tach and speedo. The last step was replacing the turn signal indicator bulbs with the small LED's provided by Carmagic and of course the new wiring harness.

A couple suggestions. Every time I removed a bulb or relay from its socket, I cleaned the socket with DeoxiT. Every wire connector I pulled loose was also cleaned with DeoxiT and a rag. Second, before reinstalling the turn signal lenses and reinstalling the steering wheel, test all the lights. LED's are polarity sensitive. If a LED bulb does not work, remove it and turn it 180 degrees and reinstall. Just shifting the position of the bulb in it's socket will solve 99% of the lighting problems.

Finally and once everything is working properly, reinstall the steering wheel and all the turn signal lens. In total, took me about an hour to do the job.

As the pictures show, I can now be seen a whole lot better.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Ctopher
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, hope they are a lot brighter than the Philips Ultinon bulbs that I first tried. While they worked they were not any brighter than stock....just faster reacting because they are LEDs. I decided to test the SpokeWorks LEDs......tons better. I have a few of his lights installed (rear side marker and reverse lights) and I just received all the rest of the rear of the car. They are all plug n play with the socket but offer a whole board of LEDs instead of the small bulb lay that most aftermarket offer. I would suggestion looking at SpokeWorks as alternatives that give you the same plug n play but much more light. Oh and he has options to have the blinkers/brake lights work together as driving lights and then of course brighter for brakes. And he now has the front side marker/signal working together to give you plenty of bright light both forward and on the side of the car.

Ctopher
Old 04-18-2018, 10:07 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the cruise control work with LED brake lights?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:21 AM
Ctopher
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
My understsnd is they don’t. My cruise control wasn’t working when I bought mine and haven’t gotten around to fixing it. I do know that their is an issue which your brake lights(lower and 3rd) will have a slight glow from them. Supposedly the issue is voltage getting passed the cruise control circuit. The Philips I have now do this, at night with no lights on you can see a slight glow from my rear brake lights. With the lights on or pressing the brakes they work as they are supposed to, just get a little bit of light from them even when lights are off. Spokeworks has a ballast that can be added to prevent the voltage bleed and restore cruise control.

https://www.spokeworksled.com/produc...-compatibility

I believe even with the change of the flasher and this ballast the work is minor to get nice modern bright lights on our old cars.

Ctopher
Old 04-19-2018, 10:38 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
Cruise works fine, but in all honesty I very rarely use it.

The LED's sold by Carmagic are great...nice and bright for max visibility. The backup lights are like two mini headlights!

My 84 does not have a 3rd brake light, but the two primary brake lights have no glow at all when not in use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Turn Signal Lights