911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1987 911 Coupe - value thoughts?

Old 03-20-2018, 12:53 PM
obohlman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 911 Coupe - value thoughts?

New to this forum and looking to buy my first Porsche 911...I've been mildly "hunting" for about a year, have just gotten serious and may have found the one for me....

I'm having a PPI completed today by a local air-cooled Porsche specialty shop on a 1987 911 3.2 Coupe...I've been all over looking at values, including BAT, here on Rennlist, listings on eBay, Autotrader, PCA, Excellence, Hemmings, etc....but curious to see what real people who are on this forum might think the value would be on this car.

Some details:
  • Black with Champagne interior - all original paint, no bodywork, no respray anywhere with option code sticker in place - paint looks excellent with good shine all around, no dings at all. All original interior shows very well with no tears or fading, no cracks in dash or anywhere else
  • 2 owner car, under 90k miles
  • Full documentation with all receipts since new, including original window sticker and bill of sale in a nice binder organized in chronological order - appears to have had regular service, valve adjustments, etc. No record of any major engine work.
  • Fuchs all around, original 16x7 rears are now in the front and 16x8 from a late 80's turbo now are in the rear....all 4 are excellent, no curb rash, no faded paint
  • All original tools, compressor, factory radio and speakers (aftermarket currently installed)
  • Was a California car, now in the Pacific Northwest for the past 5-6 years.
  • Option Codes on the sticker:
    • C03 - CA car
    • 018 - Steering wheel w elevated hub
    • 158 - Cassette radio Reno
    • 341 - Central locking system
    • 395 - 16" Fuchs 6" front / 7" rear (only 7" remain, now in the front as mentioned, so 6" are gone)
    • 437 - 8 way seat left
    • 438 - 8 way seat right
    • 454 - Automatic speed control
    • 630 - Sun/Moon roof
  • No rust to speak of anywhere, I looked under carpet, wheel wells, usual spots...obviously the PPI will do this too
  • Clean carfax
  • Some pictures

Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like a very well sorted car with good documentation. West coast car is a huge plus as is the 2 person ownership. If the car passes PPI, high $50; low $60's would be a good buy. 87-89 as you likely know have G50 transmission.
I'm also looking and missed this car. Nice find and keep us posted.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:29 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Amazing find. Please be very careful. The less details you reveal the better it is for you. I would also give strict instructions to the shop doing the PPI not to disclose any details of the car to anyone. This is a car that would command a premium price. Perfect mileage (not a garage queen or expensive paperweight), has all records, original paint and by your description a very original example. A date stamped 16" Fuchs 6" front can be outsourced and the Fuchs can be brought back to the satin finish to make the car look just like how it came out of the factory. The usual places which sell cars for a premium price would have no time selling it for the high 80's. Hard to put a value for such a car. If I'm in the market for such a car, I would have wired the asking price already.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

yeah I was thinking somewhere north of 50K for sure also.

anything below that grab it and run ... 60K may be stretching it but doable as it is a very clean example , but a lot of this is regional too .. just compare to other car in your area and a lot will depend on PPI also
Old 03-21-2018, 10:30 AM
obohlman
Rennlist Member

Update - The PPI checked out pretty well. I adjusted my offer a bit based upon the findings and we agreed on a fair price. Wrapped up the purchase and drove her home!

My wife was outside the house when I drove up...she had her phone out and took video of me turning the corner and driving up the driveway. To top that off, she had 2 glasses of Champagne on my workbench in the garage to celebrate the purchase of my first Porsche! (I think she’s a little excited too!)

Going through the “Baby book” of records last night I found the sales brochure with the sales person’s card stapled to the front from Circle Porsche in Long Beach...same business card found in the Warranty & Maintenance book. Fun to see that the original owner went out and drove it! His first stamp for the first engine oil change was at 1003 miles, just 15 days after taking delivery!

Weather forecast is rain for for the next 5 to 6 days....I guess I’ll just be that guy standing in his garage with a goofy grin on his face for the next week!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

So now we all want to know what you paid!

Spill the beans.....
Old 03-21-2018, 10:35 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats on your purchase! Really great find.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:44 AM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats and glad it worked out. Having all of the documentation is a huge bonus. Enjoy the car and find me one like that in silver!!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice find! Can You find one for Me too?
Did it come with a stamped service book?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:50 AM
AG81
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I went through the search recently. I was stuck on maintenance, ownership and original condition. I looked at 5 different cars out of my own state and well over 100 cars total. I was also stuck on wanting a 3.2 / G50 Coupe.
I found that prices were pretty consistent with condition. $50K-$65K range for a good example.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:10 AM
obohlman
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all....

Price - I'll just say at the bottom of the range tossed out by "waizone" and "theiceman" (I do, however, have a few thousand dollars in work to be done in the next month or so.)
Service book stamped? Yes, from date of delivery, first oil change 15 days later....through about 1995 with receipts that match the stamps and the records after '95...

Fun bonus that I just found this morning...tucked inside the original owners manual is the original owner's first car registration and insurance paperwork, both showing start date that matches the original sale date.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:24 AM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Gorgeous looking car. Enjoy it and get out and drive!

@w00tPorsche - I have my original fuchs that need to be refinished. You mentioned that obohlman needs to have his refinished in the "satin finish" as they came from the factory. Are his fuchs repainted with a gloss finish? I have been trying to find out how my fuchs came originally from the factory to get them refinished (when I purchased the car, someone had chromed them). I currently run 3.6 turbo wheels, but want to get my fuchs refinished.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Congrats. Looks like you got a beauty & a good deal. Enjoy.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PDACPA
Congrats! Gorgeous looking car. Enjoy it and get out and drive!

@w00tPorsche - I have my original fuchs that need to be refinished. You mentioned that obohlman needs to have his refinished in the "satin finish" as they came from the factory. Are his fuchs repainted with a gloss finish? I have been trying to find out how my fuchs came originally from the factory to get them refinished (when I purchased the car, someone had chromed them). I currently run 3.6 turbo wheels, but want to get my fuchs refinished.

Looks like the black 87 coupe's Fuchs are polished. Factory never offered a polished finish but a few owners had them done at the dealership before taking delivery. Chroming Fuchs wheels is not considered a good thing.... they look bad when it starts to flake.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:44 AM
obohlman
Rennlist Member

@w00tPorsche - Agreed...I have a Lexus LX570 with chromed wheels that is starting to flake a bit and yes, it looks terrible! I'll likely get the Fuchs refinished back to the factory look at some point.

I'm praying for some nice weather in Portland this weekend as I'm going nuts wanting to go DRIVE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1987 911 Coupe - value thoughts?