Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1982 sc starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Rich007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 sc starting issues

Hi guys, my 82 has a couple of issues when starting....

Both are intermittent , the first is when turning the key there is no crank, the fuel pump will run but the starter motor does nothing. This doesn't seem to be temperature related as tonight the car is cold, it starts straight up, other days I will go to start the car after it has been sat for days and it wont crank? Or it will start I will go for a half hour drive and it will stall as I pull up to the lights and I will try to turn it over and no crank??
Whilest checking connections to the starter motor we noticed what I would describe as a solenoid, its about a foot away from the starter, it has some heavy duty cable from the starter wiring it in to the circuit, can,t see what it would do as there is already a starter solenoid on the side of the starter, it doesn't look like a Porsche part.

The second problem is when starting from cold if there is no problem with cranking it will turn over and try to start but wont quite catch, the way to get it to catch is to pull out the fuel pump relay whilest trying to turn it over, just as it catches I push the fuel pump relay back in and its fine, so its like its over fueling when its cold?

cheers guys, rich.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to say what that extra part is, could be anything, but a failing starter isn't uncommon for these cars (mine went). Best to just replace it.

That fuel issue sounds odd for sure and I wouldn't want to diagnose it through a forum. That said, my first thought is control pressures, best to check that.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Rich007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's a pic of the part which is wired in the circuit with the starter motor
Old 01-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Dave Inc.
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that ain't right. Enjoy your vehicle wiring odyssey!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:16 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

wow never seen that before .. some remnant of an interrupter circuit for an alarm ?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:59 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I would consider a bad battery being at fault here. Simple test would be to just hook up jumper cables to another battery to see how it affects both of your problems.

Many years ago I had a defective Optima battery that caused an intermittent no-start in my '85. One thing similar to your case was that everything seemed good (fuel pump sound, etc.) until I turned the key, and then the starter was absolutely silent - no click or anything. The intermittent failure might have been two cells shorting internally, or something like that. It worked great most of the time, and then once in a while ... Any time I had a failed start, I knew that just hooking up jumper cables, with no need to wait for a charge to transfer, would make it start - and it did, every time.

Quick Reply: 1982 sc starting issues