Wevo shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:26 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Wevo shifter

i thought I posted this earlier but I see it is missing so here goes again

thoughts or comments on the differences in the two Wevo shifters for the 911 SC with a 915 transmission. The two are the billet and the classic. Are the differences cosmetic only or are the operational advantages to be over he other

thanks
Old 12-15-2017, 12:33 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Everything I have read or heard indicates that there is no operational difference between the two, and it is down to cosmetics. However, I have not driven both so I cannot confirm that from direct experience.

FWIW I went with the billet version with the tall handle. I also am using the WEVO shift coupler and I have the spring kit (and am currently using softer than WEVO's standard setting)..

Everything about the WEVO equipment is great in terms of quality and function. One small drawback is that due to the spring loading, some mechanical noise from the transaxle is transmitted through. This is present with the WEVO shifter alone, but it increased if you also use the shift coupler. The softer springs do reduce this, but does not entirely eliminate it.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

cosmetic
Old 12-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

No difference in functionality on the two wevo's - I just purchased a Rennshift for a 915 project I am working on.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:30 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Already covered your question above, but best mod I've mad to my 915 equipped hotrod thus far. Still have to put the bushing in over the winter.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:58 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m using a Wevo shift gate on my ST and functional it’s great, but as 500 reports the noise transmitted into the cabin is a fairly big annoyance to me. Softer springs do help, but not enough for me. I have a Seine system on my 73S which has tabs to keep the shift lever from pushing against the shift rod and it’s much quieter.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:15 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 500
Everything I have read or heard indicates that there is no operational difference between the two, and it is down to cosmetics. However, I have not driven both so I cannot confirm that from direct experience.

FWIW I went with the billet version with the tall handle. I also am using the WEVO shift coupler and I have the spring kit (and am currently using softer than WEVO's standard setting)..

Everything about the WEVO equipment is great in terms of quality and function. One small drawback is that due to the spring loading, some mechanical noise from the transaxle is transmitted through. This is present with the WEVO shifter alone, but it increased if you also use the shift coupler. The softer springs do reduce this, but does not entirely eliminate it.

Sorry to Hijack the tread but it seems all has been answered.

What are the springs that you mention? Are they the ones that provide the left right resistance in the gear stick? I didn't know that you could get different ones.

Also, How easy was it to pull the original rubber boot down over the wevo gear stick? mine looks to be too tight.

Thanks
Frank
Old 12-15-2017, 08:43 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Wevo sells a shifter spring kit. It has 4 pair of different length/stiffness springs and 3 pair of spacers. The spacers allow you to fine tune the spring tension. I think the kit cost about $35-40.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:04 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by NickyP
Wevo sells a shifter spring kit. It has 4 pair of different length/stiffness springs and 3 pair of spacers. The spacers allow you to fine tune the spring tension. I think the kit cost about $35-40.
Awesome, Thanks
Old 12-15-2017, 09:06 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks to all that replied, now the truth, I already have the Classic installed in my SC along with machined bushings in the shift linkage. I was just interested in comments if the billet version was better than the classic Always looking to make this great car better car better and my wife and best friend for fifty years lets me do it.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Sorry to Hijack the tread but it seems all has been answered.

What are the springs that you mention? Are they the ones that provide the left right resistance in the gear stick? I didn't know that you could get different ones.

Also, How easy was it to pull the original rubber boot down over the wevo gear stick? mine looks to be too tight.

Thanks
Frank
Hi Frank,

Sorry for the late reply...

1) The spring kit is the one sold by Wevo, which contains a series of springs and various thickness washers which allow you to move to softer as well as stiffer than the standard setting provided with the shifter.

2) The rubber boot is a tight fit around the rectangular section of the shifter. The flat "flange" at the bottom of the rubber boot does sit against the carpet, but the bellows is pretty much extended. Stays in place, looks OK and does not impact function in any way that I notice. Since the photo was taken, I added a leather boot over top of the rubber boot and it just fits perfect.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:13 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by 500
Hi Frank,

Sorry for the late reply...

1) The spring kit is the one sold by Wevo, which contains a series of springs and various thickness washers which allow you to move to softer as well as stiffer than the standard setting provided with the shifter.

2) The rubber boot is a tight fit around the rectangular section of the shifter. The flat "flange" at the bottom of the rubber boot does sit against the carpet, but the bellows is pretty much extended. Stays in place, looks OK and does not impact function in any way that I notice. Since the photo was taken, I added a leather boot over top of the rubber boot and it just fits perfect.

Awesome, thanks.

I'll try and get mine on then.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:13 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks for all the info .. popping in from my usual 964 haunt but this just landed in my lap, thankfully.

Is there a standard type shift **** that fits the wevo?

Quick Reply: Wevo shifter