MaxJax hoist placement questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts
Default MaxJax hoist placement questions

Good day all.

It's been a long time since I've been here. Probably because it's been a long time since I have done any serious work to my car.

My question is about the placement of a MaxJax to hoist my 911. For the owners of such a hoist what have you found is a good distance apart for the posts/pillars? Also, do you hoist the car backwards?

Background:

I have an 88 911 that is most likely going to need an engine drop. I have never dropped it before, should be interesting. The starter ring gear is gone and needs to be replaced. To do this I have spent every minute outside of work in the last month building a 24X24 garage. My plan is to spend the winter getting this car back to proper shape.

Oh, my other vehicles are a Tacoma and a Matrix. So ideally I would like to place the hoist in one place that works for all my vehicles.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:24 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

The ideal placement between the inner floor holes for a MaxJax is about 101 inches. You can place the car frontwards or backwards as you wish, depending on the size of your garage bay and where you locate the posts front to back. Just remember that the balance point of a Porsche 911 is not at the fore-aft center.

You would be insane to put a Tacoma up on a MaxJax, and even more insane to get under it even if it held together. More likely, you would be squashed flat.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:30 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
The ideal placement between the inner floor holes for a MaxJax is about 101 inches. You can place the car frontwards or backwards as you wish, depending on the size of your garage bay and where you locate the posts front to back. Just remember that the balance point of a Porsche 911 is not at the fore-aft center.
Good to know about the 101 inches. I'm still playing with the placement in the bay.

You would be insane to put a Tacoma up on a MaxJax, and even more insane to get under it even if it held together. More likely, you would be squashed flat.
Why? Thing is rated for 6000 lbs.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:02 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

Maybe so. But what is the rating of the concrete of your garage floor? That is a trick question, as there is no answer. The curb weight of a Tacoma is 4000-4500 lbs. Would the MaxJax hold your Tacoma? Probably. Would I be willing to get under it? No way!

Quick Reply: MaxJax hoist placement questions