Sponsored by:

No Name Engine Mounts off Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default No Name Engine Mounts off Ebay

I just bought these mounts off of Ebay from a company called Deutsche Parts USA. The price was right and they are in New York (like me). They are for a '91 C2 Coupe. After reading all the thread it looks like they will drop in fine.

Has anyone had any problems with non-OEM, no name engine mounts? Anything I should be concerned about? Am I obsessing too much?

Thanks'

Mike B
Old 10-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will let you know. There is a solid history on sales. So I got some on order and I should have them in a couple days.

It does say new Porsche OEM mounts, and Porsche didn't do their own mounts they were supplied by, I could look it up, but some other manufacture.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Also I forgot to ask if the torque specs are the same for the bolts. This is what I found in the archives

Engine Mounts
Lower Nuts: 85 Nm (63 ft-lbs)
Uppper Nuts: 25 Nm (34 ft-lbs)
Old 10-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike9186
Also I forgot to ask if the torque specs are the same for the bolts. This is what I found in the archives

Engine Mounts
Lower Nuts: 85 Nm (63 ft-lbs)
Uppper Nuts: 25 Nm (34 ft-lbs)
Looks about right but I would have to look, but I believe so.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Being in the Porsche parts business I know DP USA quite a bit from eBay. They sell a ton of parts but also have a lot of complaints regarding crappy quality parts, you can probably Google them and you'll hear some horror stories, here's a link:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1032842

Some of the parts they sell are ok, but some others are 50% below what my cost would be so I know they sell a lot of Made in China stuff.

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Corteco is the OE supplier. I am sure it's the same mount Pelican sells for $105 ea
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

How do you know it is the same supplier? That is great if it is so but in the Ebay posting there is nothing that would indicate who actually made the part.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike9186
How do you know it is the same supplier? That is great if it is so but in the Ebay posting there is nothing that would indicate who actually made the part.
I don't know for sure, I just suspect so.

However, the Ebay discription says OEM. If it is not an OEM supplier it would actually be illegal to state that it is when it is not.

I guess we will see.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:12 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
Corteco is the OE supplier. I am sure it's the same mount Pelican sells for $105 ea
Hi everyone. While I cannot say for 100% sure, I would bet that these mounts sold by this eBay vendor are not OEM Corteco mounts. Corteco is an Original Equipment Supplier to Porsche, and provided / manufactured the mounts originally used on the 996 and the Boxster. My cost on the Corteco mounts is higher than this eBay seller is selling them for. I've been in the business now for about 12 years, and I'm pretty confident that we're getting these from our supply chain at one of the best prices available. So, I don't think these are OEM Corteco mounts.

That said, they are probably a Chinese knock-off brand, which we have been seeing a lot of lately. Pelican *does* indeed sometimes sell brands like this because our customers have requested that we stock the same parts as our competitors. The difference is that we clearly label all of the parts in our catalog with the brand and also the *quality* level as determined by a variety of factors (customer feedback, our own evaluations, and the customer return rate to name a few). Providing this information to our customers is one of the reasons why people trust Pelican - when they purchase a part, they know exactly what they are getting. We don't play games with the brand names like a lot of our competitors - we let our customers compare apples to apples. I also imagine it's difficult to return a mount to an eBay vendor for warranty replacement months after it's been installed, and your feedback has already been left.

What I typically recommend is that if the cost is "in the same ballpark" for good, quality OEM mechanical parts, then spring the extra dollars and get the piece of mind for quality. Sure enough, these knock-off mounts may last 100,000 miles. Or, they may only last 1,000. At Pelican, we have all of this detailed return information on file and reflected in our quality ratings for parts, so there is limited guesswork involved. In this case, the cost difference between these apparent non-OEM mounts, and the OEM ones is about $100 (Pelican sells the pair for $260 incl FREE shipping), which doesn't seem like a lot to me when you consider the time and effort required to install them. Pelican's mechanical defect return rate for *all* parts is way, way less than 1%.

I hope this information is useful, thanks!

-Wayne
Old 10-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Wayne,

Are you sure about that. I would have been all in on getting the OEM mounts from Pelican, but according to the cat they would have been $600. $268.75 for the left and $307.75 for the Right.

If those ebay mounts are junk I guess I will have to figure it out later.

I would have gladly pay 100 more or $260 for the pr of OE mounts from you guys but what I can see is it's more like a $400 difference.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:52 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Wayne,

Are you sure about that. I would have been all in on getting the OEM mounts from Pelican, but according to the cat they would have been $600. $268.75 for the left and $307.75 for the Right.

I would have gladly pay 100 more or $260 for the pr of OE mounts from you guys but what I can see is it's more like a $400 difference.
Hi again. Actually, I was mistaken, they are *less* expensive than I thought, as the left/right prices are different. Here's a link to the catalog ($230 / pair):

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...75-049-08-M270

You were probably looking at Genuine Porsche mounts - which are sold by Porsche and come in a Genuine Porsche box. For anyone confused about OEM / Genuine parts, I made this lengthy FAQ to explain the differences: http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/OEM_FAQ.htm

-Wayne
Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Ooops. For some reason, I thought we were talking about 996s here. I see from the first post, it's a 964. My error, let me investigate further.

On a side note, I've measured the 964 mounts and the 996 mounts, and they have the same physical external dimensions. There's a thread on this in the Pelican Boxster forum, where I advocate using them instead of the 964 mounts. Maybe that's where my confusion came from.

-Wayne
Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Still not exactly correct.

R/L 993 mount is the same.

105 X 2 210 for NA mounts which is still not a 964 mount, which is the prices I was quoting, which have a R and L mount.

The Turbo mount is the other mount.

I was careful about the OEM and Genuine Porsche parts when I look.

I suspect the 964 mount is a hydrolic mount? Is the 993 mount a solid rubber?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:03 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Wayne,

I think the original poster bought a set of the later-style 993/996 mounts (these are the same, except for the stud length) to use in the early 964 cars, which I believe will also work fine. I did not see any 964-specific mounts available from the eBay seller mentioned in this thread.

Here's the thread on Pelican, where I compare the 964/993 mounts:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...e-article.html

-Wayne
Old 10-12-2010, 04:06 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Still not exactly correct.

R/L 993 mount is the same.

105 X 2 210 for NA mounts which is still not a 964 mount, which is the prices I was quoting, which have a R and L mount.

The Turbo mount is the other mount.

I was careful about the OEM and Genuine Porsche parts when I look.

I suspect the 964 mount is a hydrolic mount? Is the 993 mount a solid rubber?
Although I haven't cut one apart, I believe that the 996 / 993 mounts are hydraulic, as they do leak from time to time.

The original poster seems to be referring to the 993 mounts, not the 964 mounts. When I did the conversion for the Boxster 3.4, I investigated the 964 mounts, and if I recall correctly, there are no aftermarket suppliers for these mounts - only Porsche / Genuine. The two listed in our catalog are -M100 and -M260 which are both Genuine (two different methods of getting them from the supply network though).

I hope this helps clear up the confusion.

-Wayne

Quick Reply: No Name Engine Mounts off Ebay