Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cluster Odomoter Removal DIY, mileage reset !

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cluster Odomoter Removal DIY, mileage reset !

I just bought a brand new cluster on Craigslist for my 2003 Porsche 996. I was not really looking to change the cluster as I like the black background but when I saw a great deal on a grey background I went for it.

After installation I was really surprised to see that my original mileage was not stored in the ECU but in the cluster. So now my car show 32 miles on the odometer, which is the number of miles that was on the cluster when I bought, based on previous owner testimony...

It is good to know that you have to be careful when seeing super low mileage car. check the Carfax and check for wear and tear.

Now quick DIY for the removal. It is same as other I found except one warning how to remove the hazard switch, which I had to discover for myself... :

1/ press the hazard button -> button pop out and hazard are now blinking
2/ pull the button out by placing small screwdrivers on each side: left, right
3/ KEEP THE LIGHT BLINKING !!!
4/ remove the hazard switch by pushing tabs located on the left and right side of the switch, pull toward you
CAREFULL, make sure the switch is on the ON position or you risk to break it as you pull it out... Ask me how I know... Also on my car MkII, I had to pull really hard as the switch would not get out, without pulling the oval surround at the SAME time. Don't try to pull the surrounding before the switch, it is to weak and it would break.
6/ you now see a torx screw (20), unscrew
5/ pull the microphone cap on the left of the cluster with very small screwdriver.
7/ you now see a torx screw (20) unscrew
8/ pop carefully the cluster upward, toward the roof it will pop
9/ CAREFULL, put a towel in between the cluster and steering column as it got sharp edges and will move when you remove the connections
10/ tilt cluster toward you and let it rest on steering column.
11/ remove cluster cables from behind by pressing tab and pulling lever toward you, pretty easy to figure.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by philooo; 03-21-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I seem to recall from some time ago that a new cluster can have the mileage updated but it had to happen with the first 100 miles/km or something or the capability was then lost. So if you still have that low of mileage you might check with the local dealer or someone that has a PST2 to see if you can still get it done.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wont buy a texas porsche thats for sure

I think the mileage can be put back to ECU mileage at the dealer. If you are reselling some time and somebody wants to picky down range its you that car fax would highlite as the place mileage went wrong. Sell it to a BP exec since like like to post low numbers in high number situtaions.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I would have preferred it if it kept my original mileage. Next time I bring the car to the shop I plan to ask them to put it back to the right number. But Tom worries me with his stuff about the 100 miles limit to do it ... Because my dealer is 400 miles away ! and I am not planning to replace the cluster for the trip.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

OK, here's the post I recalled from quite a few years ago (2003 to be exact) when this topic came up. The info is from "Tool Pants"

What I said is not quite correct. An instrument cluster with less than 62 miles on it can be changed with the PST2. It can only be changed to increase the miles - as would be done on a new cluster - to match the miles on the car. No code is needed from PCNA. With the PST2 hooked up you input the car's VIN and the milage you want the cluster to show. Peter was going to do this for me when I bought the "new" 996 cluster off ebay. Since the used 996 cluster had 990 miles on it Peter could not change it.

Once the cluster has recorded more than 62 miles it is locked and cannot be changed with the PST2. But, private companies can make the cluster show any milage you want.
I don't know if this still holds true today but it would seem that it certainly could. If you can locate someone closer than the dealer with a PST2 you would be OK.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

arghhh damned !!!! I need to double check this as I really want to update the mileage... I'll have to call a dealer tomorrow to double check then... arghh again
Old 05-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

arghhh damned !!!! I need to double check this as I really want to update the mileage... I'll have to call a dealer tomorrow to double check then... arghh again
The unit is easy to open up into two units B and C. One with the gauges and the other with the LCD's. On my 2000 996 I was able to do this. Have not tried it on the 2002 but should be close. This would let you use your old LCD read-out with the new gray faces. Note you will not have the clips seen in figure 2.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 PM
emdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait....so if I buy a new cluster my mileage will be reset to the mileagecon the new cluster??? This doesn't sound right.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Pac996
Drifting

It used to be rolling over 100,000 you got a brand new car. Darn new odometers and dependable cars
Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Loren
Drifting

Originally Posted by emdog
Wait....so if I buy a new cluster my mileage will be reset to the mileagecon the new cluster??? This doesn't sound right.
Yes and no. A new cluster odometer can be programmed. Once the cluster has recorded more than 62 miles it is locked and cannot be changed even with the PST2 or PIWIS tester. But, private companies can make the cluster show any mileage you want.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:30 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Is there some kind of DIY kit that is selling so you can do this at home ? I am living pretty far from any big city and I'd prefer not to send my cluster by mail. I think today I will look into updating m new cluster with the electronic of the old one, but I hate to have to remove the cluster again. Most of what keep it in place are plastic tabs and I am afraid that after a couple of removal/installation the thing might not be as sturdy as it was before.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:41 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

I tried to open my old black cluster but unfortunately the cluster is not the same as the mkI it seems.

all the electronic is like one piece with the needle system.

My other solution, removing the background and change only that part....BUT how do you remove the needle without breaking them ?

Last edited by philooo; 03-21-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Personally, I think the least risky way to deal with this is to swap the clusters back and have the dealer install/update the replacement when you have the chance. I know it doesn't satisfy the instant gratification junkie (I'm certainly part of that crowd!) but there's less overall risk in that approach.

The other option, as mentioned previously, is to have a local shop adjust the mileage. Though it sounds like you may not have any capable of doing that around you.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 PM
emdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm just being retarded, but you can really show whatever mileage you want? So how do you know if the person before you didn't change the mileage?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

exactly my point.... I though the mileage was in the ECU and hoped that the porsche PPI would reveal eventual problems... but nothing is less certain right now...

Quick Reply: Cluster Odomoter Removal DIY, mileage reset !