Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Radiator Options: Stock : SFR : 944 Enhancement : Ron Davis : Others?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
svtlrtls
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Options: Stock : SFR : 944 Enhancement : Ron Davis : Others?

Hi Guys and Gals,

My car is a 1988 turbo with approx 140000 kms with a radiator end cap that is leaking and I'd appreciate your thoughts about my options.

Based upon my searches on this forum, I see the following:
- stock replacement about $400 US
- 944 Enhancement aluminum stock replacement about $600
- Ron Davis Racing aluminum about $650 US
- SFR aluminum about $800 US
- 944 Enhancement aluminum with integrated oil cooler about $1000 US
- Griffin - I can't find current supply or price on this as it appears to be a group buy
- I'm not interested in a used one
- Other options are welcome.

Reliability, not cooling capacity, is my top concern as my car is a street car with some DE events thrown in for fun. I live in Atlantic Canada so summers are not hot and cooling isn't a problem.

I'm intrigued by the aluminum ones for durability and the 944 Enhancement one as it removes the oil cooler weak link although the oil cooler hasn't failed in my car.

In summary, help me spend my money.

Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited by svtlrtls; 02-04-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added 944 Enhancement stock replacement option
Old 02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

I got a OEM unit not too long ago from BMA autoparts for $325 shipped (CA to WA).

This unit wasn't listed on their website. I think they only had an OE listed. Call and ask for Pat or Yves and see what they can offer.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I think Chris White just announced that he's going to have a fancy radiator made that also includes an oil cooler.

Do a search.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Owain
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I think Chris White just announced that he's going to have a fancy radiator made that also includes an oil cooler.

Do a search.
That looks like a good option if you're looking for more oil cooling as well.

This is the thread.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Only thing about Chris's I wonder about heat soak
Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

The stock rad, in good condition, is more than adequate on our cars, even when racing. I think you'd be fine w/ a stock replacement. I paid ~$315 a couple years ago for a replacement but can't remember who I got it through. Has worked fine thus far.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonlp
Why?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The aftermarket aluminium ones are nice since the side tanks are not plastic like the stock unit. I will get a aftermarket unit soon but i belive it wont be a huge adventage over the stock one. All rads gets clogged slightly after running for many years so a new stock unit may be a great improvement.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:52 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Griffin Here

Originally Posted by Adonay
All rads gets clogged slightly after running for many years so a new stock unit may be a great improvement.
Agreed!

I can only go by my dash gauge... after installing the Griffin unit, with no other changes, my temp gauge is always slightly below halfway where before indicated just above halfway. Of course no more leaks!

I don’t know about availability today as I hit the rennlist classifieds at the right time, about a year ago. You can try contacting them directly.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My 951 has some weird heating issues when cruising at higher speeds it would get hot but going full out at woot no problem.. So i am replacing rad,new hoses (group buy on silicone) and did the waterpump when i did the belts. I want to get a rad with better end tanks and like buying something i "belive" is better so i will go for either the SFR unit or the one from chris.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:18 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jasonlp
Originally Posted by ehall
Why?
Takes longer for oil to cool then water. If there both being housed the in same frame why wouldn't there be heat soak....
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given that all the engine heat must be dissipated through either a radiator or radiator/oil cooler, heat soak is really not an issue.

Total heat to be rejected is the same.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Given that all the engine heat must be dissipated through either a radiator or radiator/oil cooler, heat soak is really not an issue.

Total heat to be rejected is the same.
Having the oil cooler built in sacrifices some water cooling and you still get heat soak from the hot oil. At high speeds sure cooling won't be a problem but in hot places with traffic your temps may go up
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

If you are keen on spending money the best one I have seen is by Ron Davies Racing Products. He will build you a 951 radiator to spec dimensions that will outperform and outlast any other radiator on the market today. No affiliation, I've just seen his work and was duly impressed.

What he says about his product: Each core is annealed, and the tubes are welded seam, rather than brazed lock seams. The fins are multi-louvered for enhanced air turbulence to maximize heat rejection. Each weld is show car quality, with consistent bead width, dab spacing and penetration. Sheet metal details are coated until the weld phase to prevent scratches, and the production work surfaces are designed to prevent dents and dings, so each unit is free of any mars in the base metal finish. Pressure testing at 32 psi insures each unit is leak free and structurally sound. The end result of all this effort and process control is a trouble-free radiator with the highest level of performance that many call "art." Racers believe that failure is not an option, and Ron Davis Racing Products is a company born and bred from racing. This obsession with quality has built a strong repeat customer base of those who need more than just an aluminum radiator- they need the best.

968 example:

Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
svtlrtls
Advanced

Default Ron Davis Racing Products

New option: Ron Davis Racing Products

Bill Williamson from Ron Davis Racing quoted approx $650 with a build time of about 2 weeks.

If you have questions on this, please contact them at 1-800-842-5166.

All good info guys.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Radiator Options: Stock : SFR : 944 Enhancement : Ron Davis : Others?