Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche Releases Compensation Package.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 08:12 AM
GoFunMe
7th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche Releases Compensation Package.

Please accept our sincere apology for the delay of your eagerly awaited 718 (GTS/GT4/Spyder), as well as the delay in providing details about the process that will finally get this car into your garage. Since our last communication, we have been working diligently with our Porsche AG colleagues to develop a solution which will give you the highest level of confidence in the quality and durability of your car. We appreciate the feedback from many future owners who helped guide this process. Technical SolutionYour original production engine will be replaced with a brand-new, factory-built engine. The work will be completed by your dealership’s factory-trained technicians, who have significant experience removing and replacing engines, as this is common practice for many 718 maintenance operations. Engines will begin arriving in early June, and because production is limited, we expect that the final engines will reach us in late September. We will do our best to supply these engines according to each customer’s order date using a first-in, first-out principle. Warranty ExtensionAt Porsche, we stand behind our products and repairs. To provide you and subsequent owners additional reassurance, your replacement engine will be covered by an 8-year warranty. This warranty extension by four additional years will provide the same level of coverage to your vehicle’s engine as the original manufacturer’s new car warranty. Your vehicle’s warranty information will be updated in our systems, meaning that it will be automatically honored at all authorized Porsche dealerships. Engine CertificateAlong with extending the warranty of your vehicle’s engine, we will also provide you with a certificate of engine exchange. Customer AppreciationWe understand the inconveniences associated with this delay. In recognition of your patience and loyalty, we would like to provide you with a sales voucher good for $4,000 towards the purchase of this or any other new Porsche vehicle. Please present this voucher number X to your dealership at time of purchase. It is good for one year from the date of this email and may be redeemed at any authorized Porsche dealership in the United States. As an additional gesture of appreciation, we would like to extend a Porsche Driving Experience voucher to you. This voucher is good for $1,000 toward a driving experience at either of our two Porsche Experience Center locations in Atlanta, GA, and Carson, CA, or at our Porsche Track Experience in Birmingham, AL. To redeem the voucher, please present this number X when you book online at www.porschedriving.com or by contacting our PEC scheduling team at (888) 204 7474. It is also valid for one year. We hope you will be able to take advantage of this offer and enjoy a fun and excitement-filled day on us. We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding and will keep you updated with further developments. Thank you for your continued loyalty.

Sincerely,
Glenn GardeVP, AfterSalesPorsche Cars North America, Inc.

Simon KuhnimhofVP, Customer ExperiencePorsche Cars North America, Inc

Last edited by GoFunMe; 04-18-2021 at 09:02 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by GoFunMe:
fjpdds (04-19-2021), Goodwood (04-18-2021), GTChamp (04-19-2021), JBM718GTS (04-18-2021), phefner (04-18-2021), slilley (04-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

04-18-2021, 09:20 AM
VT Skier
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

If you feel that way, why not decline the offer and tell Porsche you'd like to return your car for a refund? I'm sure your dealer can easily find other buyers happy to pay retail, if not more, for a car with twice the usual engine warranty.

Most companies would only do what is required by law -- notify customers that a defect has been discovered and fix that defect for free, on a timetable that works best for them. Happens every day.

How long did it take for the airbag fiasco to be repaired in all affected cars? Years. Any additional compensation offered? Not that I remember, even though that one actually killed people.

For me, I find Porsche's offer to be quite generous. If I was lucky enough to already have a car, I would happily accept it.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:00 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

If the above is true and correct, it reflects what many of us had suggested would be a likely outcome. It is fair, but not generous.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:19 AM
Thefullsend
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
If the above is true and correct, it reflects what many of us had suggested would be a likely outcome. It is fair, but not generous.
Honestly, not all that great IMO for the amount of work and time for all of this - plus what would be perceived as lost value given the engine replacement.
Very glad I got a 2020 and surely feel bad for those impacted as this is not something anyone wants to or should deal with but really nothing we have control over.

Last edited by Thefullsend; 04-18-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:20 AM
VT Skier
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

If you feel that way, why not decline the offer and tell Porsche you'd like to return your car for a refund? I'm sure your dealer can easily find other buyers happy to pay retail, if not more, for a car with twice the usual engine warranty.

Most companies would only do what is required by law -- notify customers that a defect has been discovered and fix that defect for free, on a timetable that works best for them. Happens every day.

How long did it take for the airbag fiasco to be repaired in all affected cars? Years. Any additional compensation offered? Not that I remember, even though that one actually killed people.

For me, I find Porsche's offer to be quite generous. If I was lucky enough to already have a car, I would happily accept it.

The following 10 users liked this post by VT Skier:
arek (04-20-2021), dnimi123 (04-18-2021), Dr.Bill (04-19-2021), fantom (04-19-2021), GTChamp (04-19-2021), GTS-Jim (04-18-2021), PGTGULF (04-18-2021), SJJ28 (04-18-2021), slilley (04-18-2021), Spyder718 (04-18-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-18-2021, 12:33 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 209 Posts

Though implied, can we assume this is for all effected cars, those already delivered and those being held at the port or dealership pending delivery?

I’ll throw a different opinion out there, it almost makes me wish mine was one of the effected cars. I’m on Florida so there’s no lost “season”, I get an 8 year engine warranty and basically $5k back in my pocket (am planning on doing one of the experiences). I did say ALMOST
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,242 Posts

"In recognition of your patience and loyalty, we would like to provide you with a sales voucher good for $4,000 towards the purchase of this or any other new Porsche vehicle. Please present this voucher number X to your dealership at time of purchase"

I'm luckily not affected by this recall, but reading this I wonder what this means for affected owners who have already purchased their cars, it implies not refunds?
DriverDaily (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 01:45 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 692 Posts

Delivered cars were given the same comp but I believe it was $4K back OR a loaner car while they wait. At least one person confirmed it was either or but not both. They are also getting their engines much sooner as they should. On this forum anyway, we heard from one guy that hadn’t taken delivery but had fully paid for his car. He was pulled into the delivered car category in terms of the offer. If there are other people that hadn’t taken delivery but had fully paid for their car we would have to hear from them. My guess (hope) is that Porsche will find a way to offer the $4K as a cash back in these cases. I don’t think they will be screwed over and only be able to apply that to a future purchase.
Goodwood (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 02:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Delivered cars were given the same comp but I believe it was $4K back OR a loaner car while they wait. At least one person confirmed it was either or but not both. They are also getting their engines much sooner as they should. On this forum anyway, we heard from one guy that hadn’t taken delivery but had fully paid for his car. He was pulled into the delivered car category in terms of the offer. If there are other people that hadn’t taken delivery but had fully paid for their car we would have to hear from them. My guess (hope) is that Porsche will find a way to offer the $4K as a cash back in these cases. I don’t think they will be screwed over and only be able to apply that to a future purchase.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:03 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

It does not specify whether it will be a complete engine assembly with intake/exhaust manifolds, accessories, etc, or just the long block. If the latter, there is a lot that can go wrong, and there is no way the end result will be factory-like. Doesn't mean it will not be ok, and the extended warranty should cover any issues, but it is an important piece of information that has not been given.

Last edited by unclemat; 04-18-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Z06jerry (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 06:14 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
Though implied, can we assume this is for all effected cars, those already delivered and those being held at the port or dealership pending delivery?

I’ll throw a different opinion out there, it almost makes me wish mine was one of the effected cars. I’m on Florida so there’s no lost “season”, I get an 8 year engine warranty and basically $5k back in my pocket (am planning on doing one of the experiences). I did say ALMOST
I would love a 8 year engine warranty
Old 04-18-2021, 06:19 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,549 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
I would love a 8 year engine warranty
I would love a 2022 allocation....
Old 04-18-2021, 06:41 PM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930

LOL, I’ve had the same thought. And here I am with just a chip delay and no compensation. 🤣 Frankly, I think the compensation is very generous, above and beyond even.
The following 2 users liked this post by FLCAYMAN:
Dr.Bill (04-19-2021), Jeff Jones (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 07:04 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,676 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
It does not specify whether it will be a complete engine assembly with intake/exhaust manifolds, accessories, etc, or just the long block. If the latter, there is a lot that can go wrong, and there is no way the end result will be factory-like. Doesn't mean it will not be ok, and the extended warranty should cover any issues, but it is an important piece of information that has not been given.
I don't think there any chance they ship a engine complete with accessories. It's going to be a long block and everything gets swapped over is my bet. Not ideal, but not a big deal IMO. I am not a mechanic and I've taken lots of engines down to the block and re-assembled them without any difficulty. There is no swearing involved, it's just methodical disassembly and reassembly without anything difficult because you have infinite room to get at everything. It just takes time, not a lot of skill. I've done a boxer engine too, that was probably was the easiest one by far. I got fast enough with my race car I could take it down to the block in the engine bay in 30 minutes (header still attached, everything else off).

Ya, some people's engines are going to get reassembled wrong, but it's mostly going to be very minor things that are easy to correct. You'll have leaking coolant and the odd sensor busted for some, maybe someone will have a leaking injector, someone else won't get it vac filled correctly, etc. minor stuff. I wouldn't kill a deal for this unless waiting 6 months is a problem. that part sucks, but everything else doesn't bother me. If I dont get an allocation before summer I'd consider buying an abandoned one if it was close to my spec as long as there was a discount on it.
CaymanCarver (04-20-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 07:41 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I don't think there any chance they ship a engine complete with accessories. It's going to be a long block and everything gets swapped over is my bet. Not ideal, but not a big deal IMO. I am not a mechanic and I've taken lots of engines down to the block and re-assembled them without any difficulty. There is no swearing involved, it's just methodical disassembly and reassembly without anything difficult because you have infinite room to get at everything. It just takes time, not a lot of skill. I've done a boxer engine too, that was probably was the easiest one by far. I got fast enough with my race car I could take it down to the block in the engine bay in 30 minutes (header still attached, everything else off).

Ya, some people's engines are going to get reassembled wrong, but it's mostly going to be very minor things that are easy to correct. You'll have leaking coolant and the odd sensor busted for some, maybe someone will have a leaking injector, someone else won't get it vac filled correctly, etc. minor stuff. I wouldn't kill a deal for this unless waiting 6 months is a problem. that part sucks, but everything else doesn't bother me. If I dont get an allocation before summer I'd consider buying an abandoned one if it was close to my spec as long as there was a discount on it.
It's bit of a crapshot, but remember the dealer techs are paid by the job (that's my understanding when it comes to warranty work), not by the time, and that means they always have all the incentive to rush it. Of course this is way, way better scenario with much better odds for happy end then techs splitting the heads and the block open.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:49 PM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't know. If it was me, I would bail and look elsewhere for an un-molested car, be it new or preowned. Will there be a public report on this swap when it comes time to trade, diminishing its value?

Quick Reply: Porsche Releases Compensation Package.