Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Arrived, changed mind, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 12:25 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,795 Likes on 861 Posts

The 992 Turbo is a beast but I'm not really sure that shuttling an infant/toddler in a baby carrier/boaster seat is going to be fun nor comfortable in a 911. It's just not designed for that not to mention how the front seat occupant is going to feel with the seat pushed far up. If you can afford it, it might be best to look at something like the Macan as another poster mentioned to add to your fleet or if you can't afford a Macan, maybe do something like a Civic Type R or 550i or a used Macan. Again, I don't know what your budget is. The 911 can seat 4 people in a pinch but not a baby/toddler with stroller, diaper bags, formula, etc... It's not going to be fun.

...plus if you do use the 911 Turbo to shuttle your kid with a stroller, diaper bag, etc, you're going to look like that guy that is just trying too hard with the 911 Turbo. Don't take it as I'm slamming you but I'm just saying. Get the SUV for baby/toddler/school/soccer duty and keep the Spyder for dinners with the wife, weekends in Vegas, c&c, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
DocMo (02-19-2021), Jeff Jones (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 12:26 AM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by goretexpretzels
If you just need to drop off one kid on your way to work as you described, since you got 2-way seats you can put a car seat in!
Unless the law has changed it is unsafe to have young children in the front seat. My kids are 17 and 15 now and they sat in the backseats(with Porsche booster seats) of my 997.2 up until tweenie age. Correct me if I am wrong on this. IMO a 2 seaters should be a spare, fun weekend car and not a family hauler. I do have a Macan to haul kids between hockey rinks. The OP has a young family and Cayenne would be a better choice. I remember double stroller was quite cumbersome and need room not even a Macan can handle. Of course if money is not a concern then get SUV for family and sports car for weekend twisties.

John

Last edited by JohnC4S; 02-19-2021 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:39 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Not sure where OP is located but in most jurisdictions in the United States there is no such thing as a "nonrefundable deposit".
Old 02-19-2021, 12:50 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
Is the car seat in the 911 really that bad?

Yours was sort of my original plan (only with a Panamara Sport Turismo rather than a Macan). The wrinkle after moving was realizing that our 3 car garage is really just a 2 car and 10 bike (plus lots of kid junk) garage. And the city denied allowing me to put in a lift in our garage when renovating. But yeah, that really probably is the best option.....
I have two toddlers 2 and 4y and used to have a 991 GTS...baby seat for the sunny weekend drive is cool but the rest of the time it’s really painful!! Now we have a two car garage 1. E63S AMG station wagon and 2. Spyder. So much more practical and fun I am considering replacing the E63S with a BMW X5 plug in hybrid for more comfort and less money
Old 02-19-2021, 12:53 AM
dkgreen
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
I have two toddlers 2 and 4y and used to have a 991 GTS...baby seat for the sunny weekend drive is cool but the rest of the time it’s really painful!! Now we have a two car garage 1. E63S AMG station wagon and 2. Spyder. So much more practical and fun I am considering replacing the E63S with a BMW X5 plug in hybrid for more comfort and less money
Nice! I am working towards the same setup, GT4 in the garage now and an E63S wagon on order for May delivery. Seems like an awesome combo. Great minds!
Old 02-19-2021, 01:03 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 154 Posts

Thanks @jeffjones . You're on to something for sure. My one car buddy suggested something similar. Basically keep the Spyder for fun (even if rarely driven) and buy a pre-owned TT if/when I find one with the options I want. The combo wouldn't likely be too much more expensive than a highly optioned 992 Turbo and then I get both cars. Just need to find a shady contractor to install a lift in my garage.... but yeah, the TT deprecation hit is pretty massive.

@halfmonkey Your comment about being the guy trying too hard to make the Turbo work gave me a much needed laugh. I guess I don't want to be that guy... My toddler is just so excited about "daddy's new race car" that I want to be able to safely drive him around in it from time to time, take him for little errands and give the wife some time alone... not using as a family hauler (we have my wife's X3 already), but more like usable with kid in a pinch so it gets driven more.

Last edited by wintershade; 02-19-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:14 AM
dkgreen
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

@halfmonkey Your comment about being the guy trying too hard to make the Turbo work gave me a much needed laugh. I guess I don't want to be that guy... My toddler is just so excited about "daddy's new race car" that I want to be able to safely drive him around in it from time to time, take him for little errands and give the wife some time alone... not using as a family hauler (we have my wife's X3 already), but more like usable with kid in a pinch so it gets driven more.
I just want to say, this thread has drifted some, but the 911 is definitely usable in a pinch for a kid and its versatility is really one of the best things about it. I had a 991.2 C4S and a TT and I drove them over winters, picked my 5 year old son up from daycare, went to the grocery store, carried stuff on a roof rack, took road trips, did PCA track days, and it was awesome. I might have been "that guy" but my son and I have a lot of fun memories and we have hopefully built a lifelong mutual interest over cars. Life is too short to care what people think. If you want to, be that guy.

Last edited by dkgreen; 02-19-2021 at 01:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wintershade (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 01:21 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Someone will buy it off you on here, the build is nice but not heavy in options. Should be an easy sell. Have the new owner take over your delivery.

I don’t see how a 911 is better at transporting young kids in booster. You are going to break your back putting them back there and trying to buckle them up.

I have a few kids and had a 991. If your kid can’t buckle themselves in, forget the 992 option. Now mine are too big for the back of a 911. If you want to keep the 992 forever, they won’t fit back there forever.

In fact, Spyder is probably better. You can put the kid in easier, especially if the top is down. Just put the seat all the way back. Probably safer than the back of a 911. Only issue is you can only transport one kid. With a 911, you can do up to three, when they are small enough. Now, I can only take one kid out at a time in the Spyder. That’s ok, makes it more special and you can have alone time with the kid.

So, take it from someone that went thru different cars with kids. Spyder might not be a bad idea after all. And don’t think about transporting bike. When you have kids, you should bike with them. They grow up fast. Before you know it, they won’t want to have much dealings with you and want to just hang with their friends.

One last point. There will always be a turbo 911. There might not be a NA Spyder anymore after 718. A Spyder might be a better forever car.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:25 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Yeah, fair points @dkgreen . I hope to have similar memories.

So back to the point...
  • It sounds like I could probably get my deposit back (eventually) if I walk away, as we all seem to agree the dealer won't have any trouble selling for MSRP. This is good to know!
  • So I guess the real question is, does anyone (who has traded in a low mileage Spyder) have any idea what a dealer would fairly offer me if I traded the Spyder towards a new Turbo in 6-12 months (which is how long it seems like it will take to get a new one). In other words, how much is it likely to cost me to take delivery of the Spyder for an ownership test drive and decide for myself if I want to trade it or keep it and get a second more usable DD-able Porsche.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:39 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 646 Posts

Well, sure, I could walk away from my deposit. But that's $10K in my case. If I'm going to lose $10K, I'd just as well keep the car for a year, break it in, give it a proper flogging, and hope for the best on resale having at least enjoyed owning the car for a while. That's exactly what I'm trying to figure out though, how much would I lose in the "own it for a year" scenario. If it's $30-40K, then yeah, maybe I'd just walk away from the $10K deposit. But my hunch/hope (based on secondary market prices) is there is a way out for less and/or that at least lets me enjoy the car for a short while.
Weird my dealer has no such non refundable anything. I would call PAG and the FTC. Id get my deposit and run. Buy a cheap used car and order what you want...

Last edited by dnimi123; 02-19-2021 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:51 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,680 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC4S
Unless the law has changed it is unsafe to have young children in the front seat. My kids are 17 and 15 now and they sat in the backseats(with Porsche booster seats) of my 997.2 up until tweenie age. Correct me if I am wrong on this. IMO a 2 seaters should be a spare, fun weekend car and not a family hauler. I do have a Macan to haul kids between hockey rinks. The OP has a young family and Cayenne would be a better choice. I remember double stroller was quite cumbersome and need room not even a Macan can handle. Of course if money is not a concern then get SUV for family and sports car for weekend twisties.

John
2 seaters are allowed to have kids in the front. And I would say define 'unsafe' to ride in the front. There are pros and cons to putting your kid in a 2 seater like a spyder vs the backseat of a big flippy brick of a truck or suv. I'd like to avoid rollovers at all costs, because when a vehicle rolls your chances of death skyrockets. Agreed on the Macan though, that thing is really limited in space and I'd skip it and go with a base cayenne as well.

Anyway, I'd be in the buy the spyder and buy another vehicle as a DD camp if you have the space for it, because a 911 would be only a slightly less terrible DD with a little kid. A spyder and a turbo 911 are totally different cars also, so if you bought the spyder for reason XYZ, the turbo is likely going to disappoint, and vice versa. I have a 2 and a half year old as well and I was back and forth for a bit on if I should get a C2S because of the backseat and more luxury interior, but ultimately decided that it's unlikely my wife would let me haul my daughter around in the 911 very much anyway, so might as well get the car that is 100% about me rather than 95% about me.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:00 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,680 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Lol that the dealer called that a highly customized build.
I know... that's pretty much a whos who of options picked for resale without being bloated. Porsche could use that build code as a template and label it generic build, easy quick sell.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:29 AM
VT Skier
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

In other words, how much is it likely to cost me to take delivery of the Spyder for an ownership test drive and decide for myself if I want to trade it or keep it and get a second more usable DD-able Porsche.
No one can say with certainty, but I think you should be prepared to lose $15-20 by driving it off the lot, including taxes, insurance, dealer profit, etc., vs. possibly losing $5 if it sells for less than MSRP. Maybe you lose less if financial markets stay strong, manual Spyders stay in demand, etc., but generally better to lock in a lower loss when selling a depreciating asset.

I would recommend asking Haku (member here). He recently traded in his Spyder after 2,500 miles.

Where in New England is the car? I'm still vacillating between Spyder and GTS 4.0, preferring the latter at the moment.

Last edited by VT Skier; 02-19-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:44 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

OP, don’t waste time. Post the build and delivery timing in a separate thread here and in the FS section. If you find someone to take it over, all your problems are solved, you will help someone getting a car they want, and remain friends with your dealer. Win, win, win. The build is perfect for attracting the widest possible audience.

Then buy low mile CPO of whatever car will suit you better. No need to wait for a brand new allocation.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2021, 09:50 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

@VT Skier Boston near-west suburbs. I can live with a $15K loss for something fun while waiting for my Turbo and/or deciding if I want to keep both. So I think after (barely) sleeping on it I’m likely to just take delivery unless someone serious steps forward today.

Setting aside my first-class problem, you should definitely go with the Spyder. The price difference between Spyder and GTS is trivial. Sure manual roof might be a minor PITA, but if a second or third car the “unique” and drop dead Beautiful styling (GTS looks indistinguishable from a base Boxster). I might regret buying a 2-seater but definitely don’t regret the Spyder vs GTS decision (which I also agonized over and started a thread about here which had some good advice if you search for it).

Quick Reply: Spyder Arrived, changed mind, what to do?