Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

KAP ROiK-MIB2 for Full Android on PCM 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 03:05 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,477 Likes on 2,638 Posts
Default KAP ROiK-MIB2 for Full Android on PCM 4

*** Important Notice *** The ROiK-MIB2 device is not currently available from the manufacturer, they have removed it from their product listing page, my apologies for any confusion.

This is a short primer about adding the ROiK-MIB2 module to the 718, in my case the Spyder, for background I ordered this in March of 2020 and chose it because it would also allow me to view a front mounted parking camera, in conversations with KAP they seemed to hint that it may be back and that COVID-19 had halted its production. Included here is the manual for the ROiK-MIB2 it has most of the specifications listed, no point for me to repeat them. The KAP website: KAP TRADER

So this module is external to the PCM and really only uses the PCM display, it is standalone in pretty much its entire operation, it does however use some CANBUS signals to detect PDK transmission status and in cars with MT the reverse gear selection. All connections are provided and any connectors that tie into the car wiring are of good quality, power has to be supplied for the module with a separate lead to the fuse panel. Audio playback can be through the included ‘tiny’ speaker or through either the PCM’s AUX input or via Bluetooth connectivity, be aware that if your car does not have an AUX input because you chose the Smartphone Compartment option, BT is the only option. One slight issue with the BT playback, there is a slight delay when playing back video with audio, otherwise the quality is excellent. I asked KAP about this and they said it could not be fixed, I am not sure where the delay comes in, the BT module that converts the audio out to transmit BT or within the ROiK-MIB2 itself, further investigation could turn up a fix. Because of this I wish that I had not opted for the Smartphone compartment in the Spyder, with AUX in the car it would have been a simple RCA to 3.5mm mini cable connection likely with no delay.

The module itself has multiple connections for all of the required wiring, power, CANBUS, LVDS, keypad, speaker etcetera, I feel that there may be times you need or want to access these so decided not to attempt a placement in the car that made access more difficult than it already can be with these installs, additionally with HDMI, USB and microSD card connections available having the ROiK-MIB2 accessible was high on my list. I chose to install the module under the dash on the passenger side, clear of the airbag, heater vents and lights, unfortunately it does block access to the cabin filters but I made sure that cable length and mounting allowed reasonable access to change these when the time comes.

The included GPS antenna for standalone navigation and the mic for voice commands mounted up above the dash, the GPS antenna situated in the right corner and the mic on the overhead console beside the mirror. Because I always like to maintain control over anything I add to the car, I also built a switch console that resides in the center console where the smoker’s package goes, 2 switches that allow me to control power to the ROiK-MIB2 and the front parking camera a Coolint CT-107B. The wiring for the camera is a bit of a challenge, it required the removal of the front bumper so as to mount the camera and feed the cable through to the right fender area, additionally the removal of the HVAC air box to gain access to feed this cable into the passenger compartment.

Operation for those familiar with Android is straightforward, this is basically full Android that uses the PCM display, think of it as a tablet and you will have the correct perspective of it operation. Like most tablets it has Wi-Fi capability but no access to cellular data, which is provided by a hotspot supplied either by your phone or one generated by the SIM in the car. Once connected you can do anything you can on a tablet, surf the web, watch You-Tube, install and run apps, run Google Maps and playback audio or video files. I can run Gas Buddy to check on gas prices, the Porsche Good To Know app to check a function process on the car or run navigation apps to find my way home!

What follows are pictures specific to my install, also a link to one of the first installs to be documented on the 718 forum, as with anything like this there is more than one way to go about it, but one thing that I strictly adhere to is no permanent modifications to the cars structure or cosmetics, other than the single mounting hole in the bumper for the camera no Spyders were harmed in the completion of this project!

Testing before installation, this gives an idea of the amount of connections and wires that you need to find a home for, and yes that is Chrome up and running surfing Rennlist!

Everything on custom aluminum mount except GPS antenna, mic for voice input and front camera, ready for mounting in the Spyder.

Power switch plate I made for complete control over front camera and ROiK-MIB2.

Wire routing for switches under console, quick connect to allow for console removal.

Switch panel installed in console but still allowing access to 12v port.

ROiK-MIB2 installed under dash on passenger side, power wires not yet tucked away.

Mic install location for voice control.

Ublox8 GPS module.

Front Parking Camera, a Coolint CT-107B.

Finally, some static screen shots, to give you an idea of what to expect, as with any Android device you can set up the back ground and boot screens to be what you would want, I still need to do this and fine tune what apps and widgets I want to see on the home screen.

The quality of the pictures is not representative of what you see on the PCM, the resolution of photos and video is perfectly clear and without the interference pattern introduced by my phones camera.

Home screen.

App screen.

Porsche Good To Know.

Music player app.

You Tube.

Google Maps.

Waze.

And one of the major reasons for choosing this solution, the front parking camera!

Additional resources, a thread from the 718 Forum showing some additional installation pictures and a link to a You Tube video from a few years back but showing the ROiK-MIB2 running an older version of Android OS.

(24) Android Module Added | Porsche 718 Forum

So there are likely only a few out there who have this module and are planning to install it, if you have questions let me know and I can try to answer them. At least you know that it works and will provide access to Google services or other compatible apps, or if need be additional camera and video inputs that can be displayed on the PCM.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
ROIK-MIB2_v200311.pdf (3.21 MB, 181 views)

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-18-2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Product Availability Update
The following 6 users liked this post by Westcoast:
0-Day (01-19-2021), jj99c2 (01-16-2021), rjag2034 (02-04-2021), Spike Spiegel (05-17-2021), UncleDude (01-16-2021), Vgj (01-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

This is awesome, Westcoast! Thanks a lot for the write-up. Well detailed. Did you do all the installations by yourself?

What's the link to this product? A quick search brought this up:
Android Interface
But, looks different from yours.

I'll think this option through.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:28 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
This is awesome, Westcoast! Thanks a lot for the write-up. Well detailed. Did you do all the installations by yourself?

What's the link to this product? A quick search brought this up:
Android Interface
But, looks different from yours.

I'll think this option through.
Sorry @the_rider , my opening paragraph was not very clear about the current availability of the ROIK-MIB2, I was told by KAP Trader that due to Covid-19 that production of this product was halted, no idea if/when it might come back unfortunately. This write up was to close the loop for some others that had also purchased the unit and not yet installed it, but were still planning to proceed.

Yes, I did all installation work and fabrication myself.

I have added an update to the beginning of the thread: here is their web site: http://www.kaptrader.co.kr/

Last edited by Westcoast; 01-18-2021 at 10:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:54 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks, @Westcoast . Let me reach out to them to check on availability. I need to analyze this further though. And, it's pretty impressive you were able to do all the work yourself! I'll be using a pro shop; I'm pretty sure I would screw up opening a can of tuna!!
Old 02-04-2021, 03:36 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Just saw this WC...don't know how I missed it when you posted!?! Amazing write up and pics, well done.

Couple of questions...

I did purchase the ROiK, but NOT the BT module. I assume this is necessary for everything to function correctly??
I assume video in motion functions ? - I ask as I have a lot of music files that are actually video files (MP4, not MP3) that are stored on USB that won't play on the PCM system. So rather than having to convert them all to Audio only, it would be great if they can play as is.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4MIDABLE
Just saw this WC...don't know how I missed it when you posted!?!
I thought you had given up hope...

Amazing write up and pics, well done.
Cheers, I would have like to have had a video of it's operation but I have yet to attempt something that I would not be embarrassed to post!

Couple of questions...

I did purchase the ROiK, but NOT the BT module. I assume this is necessary for everything to function correctly??
I assume video in motion functions ? - I ask as I have a lot of music files that are actually video files (MP4, not MP3) that are stored on USB that won't play on the PCM system. So rather than having to convert them all to Audio only, it would be great if they can play as is.
So BT, I think we talked about this before, it requirement depends on if you added the Porsche optional Smartphone compartment, as this removed the AUX jack in the glove box, why I have no idea, it's not like it was relocated elsewhere. I wonder if it can be programmed back in by some of those crafty guys that are enabling other stuff on the PCM (I will ask and see). So without the AUX input, yes, you need some type of BT module, the last time I checked KAP still listed them, but in conversations with KAP he mentioned that there were BT modules available on eBay, although I didn't look there I did find them on Amazon for as little as $15 and thought this might reduce or remove the slight latency I experienced during video with audio playback:
Bluetooth Adapter Bluetooth5.0 USB Transmitter Receiver with Display 3in1 Wireless Audio Adapter USB Power Supply 3.5mm Low Latency Bluetooth5.0 Transmitter for PC,TV,Headphones,Home Stereo,Car.: Amazon.ca: Electronics Bluetooth Adapter Bluetooth5.0 USB Transmitter Receiver with Display 3in1 Wireless Audio Adapter USB Power Supply 3.5mm Low Latency Bluetooth5.0 Transmitter for PC,TV,Headphones,Home Stereo,Car.: Amazon.ca: Electronics

As for MP4's, no need to convert the included player app on the ROiK will play them back without any problem, I have confirmed this with GoPro video and other video with audio files.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:01 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Adding the AUX back into the glove compartment...

I asked and it would seem that they feel that it can be done, actually said 'no problem'... this could be a better route!

So I found the part number for the jack plate in the glove compartment, but what I don't know is if it comes with the wires to connect back to the PCM or if they are already there and only the plate itself was changed when the Smartphone compartment was spec'd. I somehow doubt that it would be that easy...

Old 02-04-2021, 07:23 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

I'll have a look, I honestly can't remember if I have the smartphone thing or not. If I open the glove box and see the AUX jack, I assume then I don't have the smartphone thing.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:28 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'll have a look, I honestly can't remember if I have the smartphone thing or not. If I open the glove box and see the AUX jack, I assume then I don't have the smartphone thing.
If the AUX jack is there then BT is not required for the ROiK...
Old 02-04-2021, 08:34 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice work throughout. 👍
Old 02-06-2021, 12:00 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan hughes
Nice work throughout. 👍
Thanks, with anything like this the effort is in the details but it makes for a much more professional final product.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:40 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Thanks, with anything like this the effort is in the details but it makes for a much more professional final product.
Agreed. Knowing what to do is only half the part. The way you do it is the other half.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (02-06-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So did you ever check to see if you have the AUX jack?

FWIW, I have embarked on an add on for this project, adding back the AUX jack! I checked with @simaservis1108 and he figures that it shouldn't be a problem so I checked the back of the PCM, as suspected no wiring for AUX at all...

So I have some pins on order from Germany for the connector and plan to build my own AUX cable for the ROiK-MIB2 audio.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:52 PM
4MIDABLE
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So did you ever check to see if you have the AUX jack?

FWIW, I have embarked on an add on for this project, adding back the AUX jack! I checked with @simaservis1108 and he figures that it shouldn't be a problem so I checked the back of the PCM, as suspected no wiring for AUX at all...

So I have some pins on order from Germany for the connector and plan to build my own AUX cable for the ROiK-MIB2 audio.
Seems I must have the smartphone thing, because all I see in the glovebox is a USB plug, unless I am blind. What does the "smartphone" add-on look like? Is there anything else in the glovebox?
Old 03-10-2021, 06:28 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Seems I must have the smartphone thing, because all I see in the glovebox is a USB plug, unless I am blind. What does the "smartphone" add-on look like? Is there anything else in the glovebox?
The USB and the AUX are in the same mounting plate in the glovebox, seeing only the USB sounds like you do have the Smartphone Compartment, here is a picture that shows what it looks like, normally there is no raised tray in there.

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-11-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: KAP ROiK-MIB2 for Full Android on PCM 4