Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cayman GTS 4.0 spec details advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Jedi_46
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cayman GTS 4.0 spec details advice

Hello, I am new to Rennlist. As I am planning to order Cayman GTS 4.0 this year, I would like to ask you about few details regarding the configuration. I am 95% done, there are only few items I am still hesitating about. I would like to have driver oriented car, with simple tech, but with interior to be a nice place to sit in. The car will be a weekend tool, however I plan to do trip to Alps each year (2500-3000 km one trip).

This is my future spec:

- Guards Red (G1)
- Leather interior in Black with extensive items in Race-Tex (GW)
- Deletion of the model designation on doors (712)
- Deletion of the model designation (498)
- 6-speed manual transmission (480)
- 20-inch 718 Sport wheels painted in Satin Platinum (XDH)
- Tyre sealing compound and electric air compressor (1G8)
- Bi-Xenon main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) in black (XEW)
- Light design package (630)
- Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor (P13)
- ParkAssist (front and rear) (636)
- Cruise control (454)
- GT sports steering wheel (858)

- Sports seats Plus (2-way, electric) (P04)
- Floor mats (810)
- Two-zone automatic climate control (573)
- Passenger footwell storage net (581)
- Leather interior package (with leather interior) (EKC)
- Steering column casing in leather (XNS)
- Door trim package leather/Race-Tex (CLP)
- Dashboard trim package leather/Race-Tex (CGT)
- Sun visors in Race-Tex (XLU)
- Storage compartment lid in Race-Tex with 'PORSCHE' logo (XLG)
- Apple® CarPlay (9WT)

I love Guards Red exterior color and most people would probably combine it with Carmine Red interior GTS package, however I am not fan of carbon fibre trim, red rev counter and red seat belts. My idea is to go with black interior, which could contrast "happy" exterior color

There are two options of interior trim I am thinking about -
Leather interior package (with leather interior) (EKC), as seen it the spec above, or Brushed aluminium interior package in black (with leather interior) (P28). Regarding the design, I like both, however maybe you have some idea about practicality of both surfaces, possible scratches, maintenance etc. The first option leaves the dashboard with 2 materials (leather - leather - Race-Tex), the second options with 3 materials (leather - aluminium - Race-Tex). I would appreciate your comments.

Leather interior package (with leather interior) (EKC)

Leather interior package (with leather interior) (EKC)

Brushed aluminium interior package in black (with leather interior) (P28)

Brushed aluminium interior package in black (with leather interior) (P28)

Other items I am still not decided about are:

- Door trim package leather/Race-Tex (CLP) - this one should extend covering plastic surfaces on doors with leather / Race-Tex, however from the configurator pictures it is hardly visible. Is it worth extra money, did somebody of you configure it?

- Dashboard trim package leather/Race-Tex (CGT) - here it is more clear for me, this extends the leather on the dashboard closer to the windshield and covers plastic dashboard side parts with Race-Tex. What do you think about this option?

- Gear lever brushed aluminium (XYC) - as I am taking GT sports steering wheel, this option looks like a good match to that. Does it change the gear lever top from plastic to aluminium and Race-Tex bottom part to leather?

I really appreciate your comments and advices. Thank you
Old 08-26-2020, 06:26 AM
Jedi_46
Intermediate

Hello, maybe the post was too long Can you please help me with your opinions regarding the interior trim, which one would suit the black interior better?

Leather interior package (with leather interior) (EKC) vs Brushed aluminium interior package in black (with leather interior) (P28)

Pictures are in the post above.

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2020, 06:49 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

Purely subjective, they both look great, so go for whichever you like best on the day you have to lock down your order!
Old 08-26-2020, 07:11 AM
theEnd
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 75 Posts

I spent a lot of time thinking about the same options when deciding on my Spyder spec.

I picked leather trim over black aluminum trim. Going with leather reduces the number of different materials on the dashboard / door. I like the look. However if my Spyder had black aluminum for the AC vents and steering spokes (as the Cayman does?) instead of chrome, I would have picked black aluminum trim.

I decided to extend the leather to the top/sides of the dashboard. I would not choose this option again. Yes, it reduces the amount of plastic surfaces, but in this case you are rarely going to touch those surfaces. And if you have deviated stitching in a contrasting color (I have silver), it creates an additional annoying interior reflection on the windshield. Definitely not worth the $1600 or so that it costs.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:20 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

• I don't think either trim option will make a big difference; as long as you have something other than the plastic bits that come standard. I have ordered a new Guard's Red Cayman and I went for the leather trim.
  • I didn't order the extra leather bits (doors, dash and steering column). Didn't seem to be very good value.
  • If the base sound system in your jurisdiction is like those in North America (and it probably is), it is horrible. If you listen to music at all, get the Bose.
  • Don't know if Sport Chrono is standard in your market. It gives you several features (rev matching, more aggressive engine mapping, stiffer transmission mounts) and is looked for by used car buyers, if that matters to you.
  • The multifunction steering wheel is worth the money to me.
  • Don't know if seat heating is standard in your market, but I suspect that it is not. I would absolutely get it, especially if you will use the car in colder temperatures.
Enjoy the car!

Last edited by OttawaSteve; 08-26-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:32 AM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

My comments:
Model delete change it to 718. Otherwise the area looks like something is missing.
Extended leather packages- not worth the $$ except for the steering column and then only with deviated stitch
Interior trim strip - Go with brushed aluminum to match the steering wheel inserts and door handles. Its not at bright as shown in the configuator. Trust me on this one
Upgrade to the LEDs if you do a lot of night driving, they are better and come with adaptive feature.
UPgrade to BOSE - base stereo suxs *****.

Good luck

Old 08-26-2020, 02:05 PM
Jedi_46
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Puggz
My comments:
Model delete change it to 718. Otherwise the area looks like something is missing.
Extended leather packages- not worth the $$ except for the steering column and then only with deviated stitch
Interior trim strip - Go with brushed aluminum to match the steering wheel inserts and door handles. Its not at bright as shown in the configuator. Trust me on this one
Upgrade to the LEDs if you do a lot of night driving, they are better and come with adaptive feature.
UPgrade to BOSE - base stereo suxs *****.

Good luck
Thank you guys for your answers. I have deleted both Door trim package leather/Race-Tex (CLP) and Dashboard trim package leather/Race-Tex (CGT).

I am keeping Gear lever brushed aluminium (XYC) for now, as will have GT sports steering wheel and I think leather on the gear stick matches it better.

I have never been thinking about Bose as this will be weekend / road trip car only. Is standard stereo really so bad? I will need audio for Apple Carplay navigation and in my weekend car I switch the radio on when stuck in traffic jam only. Do you know how much weight the Bose adds?

I specced the PDLS lights in black mostly because I will be doing daylight driving 95% of the time and I also like the design more (in comparison with PDLS+ LEDs). The price difference is not so high, so if you tell me that it illuminates the road so much better and is worth the price, I will tick them. And btw, are they heavier, or lighter? I know that they need a camera - this was also a reason why I did not want them (to keep the car technically as simple as possible).

Puggz: I was thinking about brushed aluminium trim in the beginning, but as you said, in the configurator it looks very bright. Do you have it? Or do you have some real photos?

Thank you!

Last edited by Jedi_46; 08-26-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:49 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

If you have a free "smoking package" in Poland, then add it. It adds a 12V plug and a cover over the open hole in the center console.

As for leather vs black aluminum trim, they both look good, so pick whichever you slightly prefer.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:28 AM
Jedi_46
Intermediate

Still have to decide between PDLS / PDLS+ lights. 99% of driving will be during daylight. Personally i like the design of dimmed PDLS bi-xenons more (rounded shape seems to suit the front of the car better), however to have full LED tech all around the car is tempting.

Do you know which solution is actually lighter? There must be more wiring with PDLS+, as this system needs additional camera. Appreciate any info. Thanks
Old 09-26-2020, 07:22 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi_46
Still have to decide between PDLS / PDLS+ lights. 99% of driving will be during daylight. Personally i like the design of dimmed PDLS bi-xenons more (rounded shape seems to suit the front of the car better), however to have full LED tech all around the car is tempting.

Do you know which solution is actually lighter? There must be more wiring with PDLS+, as this system needs additional camera. Appreciate any info. Thanks
I didn’t pick LED for the same reason you stated. I am not a fan of the look when not lighted. There also appears to be more chrome in the LED than black PDLS. No doubt LED works better at night. Not sure about the weight difference. I doubt it would be significant.

If you are worried about weight, just switch the battery to a light weight one after you have your car. Maybe even LWBS?
Old 09-26-2020, 08:25 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

When I get into caymans I immediately feel the smaller interior space compared to a 911. Especially with no sunroof it feels small to me after a 5-10 min. I would recommend putting some touches of lighter color in there either with stitching or trim or both just to open things up a bit. Its worth it. Both the leather and aluminum trim look nice you cant go wrong but the black on black on black interior may wear on you.
The following users liked this post:
TikiLou (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 08:59 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
When I get into caymans I immediately feel the smaller interior space compared to a 911. Especially with no sunroof it feels small to me after a 5-10 min. I would recommend putting some touches of lighter color in there either with stitching or trim or both just to open things up a bit. Its worth it. Both the leather and aluminum trim look nice you cant go wrong but the black on black on black interior may wear on you.
Good point. Red (exterior paint) trim would look nice against the black. I have some yellow trim and accents in my full black leather (black stitching) 6gt3 and I love it. But it’s either light stitching or light trim — not both, imo.

Last edited by hf1; 09-26-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:25 AM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

A few more points as I have a GR GT4.

Satin black wheels look better than platinum
LED headlights look fine to me and produce better lighting. When you're traveling fast at night this is mandatory for me. Long term, Xenons are expensive to replace as when the bulb goes, the ballast needs to be replaced as well.
You most likely wont be listening to the sound system much when driving but the Bose is better if you're stuck in traffic etc. Its also a resale helper.
I like the brushed aluminum trim as it breaks up the all black interior a bit. Black w/ red stitch and aluminum trim is the bomb.
If you're concerned about weight, go with the LWBs and even a lithium battery. Then spend some $$ on a replacement over axle (GPF delete) pipe.
I also prefer black belts so I'm a bit different on this.
GR is the best color for the 718, period :-D

Old 09-26-2020, 02:03 PM
Jedi_46
Intermediate

Hi, thank you for your answers.

I am 191 cm tall / 95 kg of weight, and short-term I feel that LWBS could be too tight for me (however seating position is perfect). I would like to keep the GTS 4.0 with 2-way Sports Plus seats, if this was a GT4, I think LWBS are a must.

I prefer black interiors, but you are right, it can be too much. But as I want to keep Guards Red exterior color and do not want to go with Carmine Red GTS package (I am not a fan of red seat belts, red rev counter and carbon trim), I do not have many options to choose from.

Exterior color trim is too much for me (plastic shiny look) and if you want to keep Race-Tex interior, there is no option for red deviated stitching. So only one brighter choice is brushed aluminium trim.

What do you think?
Old 09-26-2020, 03:00 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

CXX

Quick Reply: Cayman GTS 4.0 spec details advice