Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Planning to track your GT4 or Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 05:28 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 642 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Planning to track your GT4 or Spyder?

Hello 718 GT4 and Spyder Owners,

Congratulations on your beautiful new cars! We (Essex Parts Services) are looking for a GT4 and Spyder to measure for the development of AP Racing brake upgrades. We will be producing 2-piece AP Racing J Hook Discs that work with the OEM calipers, stainless steel brake lines, Ferodo Racing Brake Pads, and complete AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits for track use (which have been a huge hit on the 991 GT3 and 981 GT4, and can be found on the new 911 RSR factory race cars). We are AP Racing's exclusive North American distributor, and you car learn more about Essex here.

If you want a ultra lightweight AP Racing Radi-CAL brake kit that weighs similar to PCCB without all the fuss and expense...we'll have it.
If you plan to replace your crack-prone drilled OEM discs...we'll have it.
If you simply want the highest quality Ferodo Racing brake pads and stainless steel brake lines...we'll have them.

Our AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit thread in the 991 GT3 forum is a great place to learn more about our Porsche products. On our Essex Blog you can read customer reviews and feedback about our products and company.

Anyone allowing us to measure their car will receive huge discounts on our products, which could total up to $5,000 or more. Our ideal situation would be to measure your car at our facility in Charlotte, NC. If you are elsewhere in the country, we may be able to work with you remotely for certain products. If you or a friend are available to work with us, please shoot me a message or jeff.ritter@essexparts.com. Thank you very much for your consideration!

Below are some sample pics of our equipment:

AP Racing Radi-CAL calipers on the new 911 RSR
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following 4 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
911F1 (06-08-2020), Croc999 (07-01-2020), DFW01TT (06-08-2020), kart125 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:18 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Man I wish I lived in Charlotte... and that I had a GT4 (coming summer 2020!)! Will be looking for some of your products as they become available, mainly SS brake lines as it is usually one of the first mods I make, along with a RBF change. Will they fit OEM calipers or are they specific to your (sexy) calipers? I never thought I could stare at a caliper picture for 5 minutes without blinking!
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:03 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I was under the impression the 991 GT3 and 981 GT4 shared the same rotor sizes (at least for the iron rotors), and the 718 GT4/Spyder would be the same too. Any reason to believe this won't be so?
JRitt@essex (06-09-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:14 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoBdrAK
I was under the impression the 991 GT3 and 981 GT4 shared the same rotor sizes (at least for the iron rotors), and the 718 GT4/Spyder would be the same too. Any reason to believe this won't be so?
Pretty sure I read that the 718 GT4 brakes are exactly the GT3 brakes.
JRitt@essex (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:59 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We are under that impression as well, and don't necessarily have any reason to believe otherwise at this point. That said, our engineers always confirm our fitments on the actual cars to which we plan to apply our products. Many companies use their customers as guinea pigs, but we're not one of them. We prefer to use an abundance of caution when measuring and fitting new applications. Many times what is 'supposed' to be the same is not precisely the same, just very similar. For example, our 991 GT3 and 981 GT4 brake kits do have some slight differences, even though everyone on the internet calls the stock brake systems on those two cars identical. Sometimes other issues come into play as well. Surrounding components may be different, which impact clearances, etc. We just can't tell for certain until we have a car in our hands. In these situations, we don't know 'til we know!

The really good news is that if the 718 GT4/Spyder fitment is the same as one of the others, the data collection process is going to be very quick and painless for both us and the vehicle owner, and the owner could save themselves $5,000 for very little effort and time.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:18 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kart125
Man I wish I lived in Charlotte... and that I had a GT4 (coming summer 2020!)! Will be looking for some of your products as they become available, mainly SS brake lines as it is usually one of the first mods I make, along with a RBF change. Will they fit OEM calipers or are they specific to your (sexy) calipers? I never thought I could stare at a caliper picture for 5 minutes without blinking!
Thanks for the kind words, and we wished you lived here also! We do have a beautiful set of Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines that mate up with the OEM calipers on a very wide range of recent Porsche applications (981 GT4, 991 GT3, etc.). They replace the hard lines going to the caliper, and make managing pad changes much easier. We will have these for the 718 GT4/Spyder.

Similar Spiegler SS lines are included with every complete brake kit we offer.

The Radi-CAL calipers are incredible in person. When we put them in peoples' hands at trade shows they tend to freak out a bit. If you'd like to learn more about the AP Racing Radi-CAL click this link (article and video).

Here are some more pics for you Kart125..it's pretty impressive when you see them lined up with a plain-Jane conventional caliper. They look like spaceships by comparison. Here are some pics I took when a batch of NASCAR Cup calipers came in for a rebuild this winter.

Below is the latest front GT Sportscar caliper:

The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
Croc999 (07-01-2020), kart125 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:44 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Thanks for the kind words, and we wished you lived here also! We do have a beautiful set of Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines that mate up with the OEM calipers on a very wide range of recent Porsche applications (981 GT4, 991 GT3, etc.). They replace the hard lines going to the caliper, and make managing pad changes much easier. We will have these for the 718 GT4/Spyder.

Similar Spiegler SS lines are included with every complete brake kit we offer.

The Radi-CAL calipers are incredible in person. When we put them in peoples' hands at trade shows they tend to freak out a bit. If you'd like to learn more about the AP Racing Radi-CAL click this link (article and video).

Here are some more pics for you Kart125..it's pretty impressive when you see them lined up with a plain-Jane conventional caliper. They look like spaceships by comparison. Here are some pics I took when a batch of NASCAR Cup calipers came in for a rebuild this winter.

Below is the latest front GT Sportscar caliper:
Here I go again, staring at caliper pics!! Thanks for the info. I will stay tuned and wil consider the spieger lines once car gets here!
Old 06-09-2020, 10:06 AM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

We are under that impression as well, and don't necessarily have any reason to believe otherwise at this point. That said, our engineers always confirm our fitments on the actual cars to which we plan to apply our products. Many companies use their customers as guinea pigs, but we're not one of them. We prefer to use an abundance of caution when measuring and fitting new applications. Many times what is 'supposed' to be the same is not precisely the same, just very similar. For example, our 991 GT3 and 981 GT4 brake kits do have some slight differences, even though everyone on the internet calls the stock brake systems on those two cars identical. Sometimes other issues come into play as well. Surrounding components may be different, which impact clearances, etc. We just can't tell for certain until we have a car in our hands. In these situations, we don't know 'til we know!

The really good news is that if the 718 GT4/Spyder fitment is the same as one of the others, the data collection process is going to be very quick and painless for both us and the vehicle owner, and the owner could save themselves $5,000 for very little effort and time.
Thanks, I definitely understand! This is exactly what I'd expect from an outfit of your caliber; always better to do your due diligence. In this case the say might be, "measure twice, cut zero times."

I guess I was more just pontificating on what the outcome might be (not a lot for us to do around here while we wait for out cars, as you can no doubt relate given your request). For example, I've got an unused set of front and rear jhooks from my 991 GT3, and I'm trying to figure out what I should plan to do with them (eg sell them or hang onto them and mount them up to 718 GT4 when it arrives).
Old 06-09-2020, 10:33 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks, I definitely understand! This is exactly what I'd expect from an outfit of your caliber; always better to do your due diligence. In this case the say might be, "measure twice, cut zero times."

I guess I was more just pontificating on what the outcome might be (not a lot for us to do around here while we wait for out cars, as you can no doubt relate given your request). For example, I've got an unused set of front and rear jhooks from my 991 GT3, and I'm trying to figure out what I should plan to do with them (eg sell them or hang onto them and mount them up to 718 GT4 when it arrives).
Yes, absolutely. At times it feels like our method is to measure sixteen times, which can be stressful for our team. Competing products are launched in the market, and our crew is climbing the walls waiting for data and product. It can be really frustrating, but at this stage many of our customers now know that all good things come to those who wait. We don't want to rush anything out the door, and would much rather have everything buttoned up properly. One of our mantras is "Don't cut corners." We've had a tiny flub here or there where things didn't go ideally, but our team has done a fantastic job of exercising care in the execution of each new product.

The path to market for the 718 could be extremely quick and painless once we confirm on a car. That doesn't happen often, but we sure do love when it does! Thank you very much for the purchase on the 991 J Hooks, and we hope they've served you well. You may just be able to slap them on the new car, which would be great!

(not a lot for us to do around here while we wait for out cars, as you can no doubt relate given your request).
I always get a chuckle out of these 'waiting on the car' threads, as future owners scrutinize the color saturation of the seat belts vs. the leather stitching. I did pre-order and wait on a sportscar once many years ago, so I totally get it. The excitement builds as you see the pics, read/watch the reviews, check the production codes, and track the shipping container. It's a long tease, but a fun and satisfying experience every true enthusiast should try at least once. I'm glad you guys are getting such an incredible machine at the end of the wait. I finally bought my first Porsche last fall (987 Boxster), and now the GT4/Spyder are at the top of my wish list as potential additions to the stable.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:19 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Kart125,
Some more eye-candy for you. I shot these this winter when all the NASCAR Cup calipers were pouring in for rebuild...here are a couple that shows an old AP caliper vs. the Radi-CAL...slight difference!

Here's a banner we created for the Radi-CAL to celebrate the evolution of AP calipers.

A tremendous amount of machine work goes into the billet ones. It's pretty cool to think these were once a solid hunk of aluminum.

The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
Croc999 (07-01-2020), sobiloff (06-10-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 05:59 PM
SnoBdrAK
Instructor

One of our mantras is "Don't cut corners."
Love this. It's why I'm a fan of the solutions you provide. Someone once asked me why I liked the j-hooks on my GT3, and I said something to the effect of, "Because I know how much time and effort went into making them the optimal solution. And they WORK." I'm probably not in the running timing wise for offering up my car as the measurement specimen (e.g. ~late July), but I'll circle back to this thread (or ping you directly) when my GT4 arrives on the off chance you still haven't found someone.

I always get a chuckle out of these 'waiting on the car' threads, as future owners scrutinize the color saturation of the seat belts vs. the leather stitching. I did pre-order and wait on a sportscar once many years ago, so I totally get it. The excitement builds as you see the pics, read/watch the reviews, check the production codes, and track the shipping container. It's a long tease, but a fun and satisfying experience every true enthusiast should try at least once.
My favorite is hands-down the marine traffic tracking threads; everyone suddenly turns into a super-sleuth to determine where there car may or may not be. I refer to it as the "Porsche order super-position" theory, as we only have a vague idea of where the car may be at any given point.

I finally bought my first Porsche last fall (987 Boxster)
Congrats on your Boxster!! If there's anything I've learned over the years its that just about any vintage or model of Porsche will put a giant grin on your face.

P.S. Love all the development and manufacturing pics of your latest and greatest stuff. Keep 'em coming!

JRitt@essex (06-10-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 12:56 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 113 Posts

Does the 718 GT4 use the same pads as the 981 GT4?

I take delivery in about a week, and have a track day at the end of July!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:07 AM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Jeff, let us know when your website will show products available for 718 GT4.
Currently it only shows some wheels....
Old 07-01-2020, 08:22 AM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I saw and held some of these RadiCal calipers at PRI in December. You cannot believe how light they are! My car gets built on July 3, in TWO DAYS!
JRitt@essex (07-08-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 08:27 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We are still trying to get our hands on a car. We’ve talked with several new owners, but most of them are picking up their cars over the next couple weeks, and we don’t have anything firm on the calendar yet.
We will have our full array of Ferodo, AP Racing, and Spiegler brake products as soon as we can get a vehicle to Essex. Thanks!
Croc999 (07-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Planning to track your GT4 or Spyder?