Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Newbie Allocation Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021 | 11:58 PM
EmoryHockey22
Track Day

Default Newbie Allocation Question

I will apologize off the bat for asking a question that I am sure has been asked before but as someone completely new to Porsches and ordering cars generally, I thought I would try to take advantage of this group’s expertise. I have finally convinced the boss (my wife) to sign off on a 718 Spyder for my 40th birthday present to myself. I have always loved the Spyder—I’ve driven both a 987 and 981 but never a 718. But now find myself stuck between the chip shortage/lack of production and pent up pandemic demand.

Other than literally calling every dealer in the country trying to find one with an allocation (anytime in the next 18 months is fine with me!), does anyone have any suggestions? Am I better off calling the bigger dealerships under the theory they would get the most allocations? Am I better of trying to stay local (I am in the Dallas area)? Or am I already out of luck at this point since I’m sure it will take a year or two for production to catch up to demand and production may be closed by then.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2021 | 12:23 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EmoryHockey22
I will apologize off the bat for asking a question that I am sure has been asked before but as someone completely new to Porsches and ordering cars generally, I thought I would try to take advantage of this group’s expertise. I have finally convinced the boss (my wife) to sign off on a 718 Spyder for my 40th birthday present to myself. I have always loved the Spyder—I’ve driven both a 987 and 981 but never a 718. But now find myself stuck between the chip shortage/lack of production and pent up pandemic demand.

Other than literally calling every dealer in the country trying to find one with an allocation (anytime in the next 18 months is fine with me!), does anyone have any suggestions? Am I better off calling the bigger dealerships under the theory they would get the most allocations? Am I better of trying to stay local (I am in the Dallas area)? Or am I already out of luck at this point since I’m sure it will take a year or two for production to catch up to demand and production may be closed by then.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Call everyone you can willing to put you on list. And then decide....if you want to pay an ADM.
The following 2 users liked this post by thuggo:
JAhmed (10-08-2021), StilettoPat (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021 | 01:17 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Buy a used one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
CDACH (10-08-2021), Zeus993 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021 | 09:19 AM
Mike0105.
Advanced

Where do you live? I reached out to my local dealerships and was on two waiting lists for about 6 months before getting an allocation. I'd start with the local dealerships and branch out from there. There is also brokers around that may have a line on a buildable allocation, just be prepared to pay a markup.

The wait is worth it, my GT4 was an early 40th birthday present and it's better than I could have ever imagined.
Mike
Old 10-08-2021 | 09:42 AM
EmoryHockey22
Track Day

Thanks all for the really quick input!

Originally Posted by Mike0105.
Where do you live? I reached out to my local dealerships and was on two waiting lists for about 6 months before getting an allocation. I'd start with the local dealerships and branch out from there. There is also brokers around that may have a line on a buildable allocation, just be prepared to pay a markup.

The wait is worth it, my GT4 was an early 40th birthday present and it's better than I could have ever imagined.
Mike
I am in Texas (DFW area) and have already reached out to local dealers. But I am new to the area so I don’t really know any of them. I am on two lists and I am happy to wait but didn’t know if there was something else I could/should be doing since each dealer had a really different story. One told me don’t even bother, another wouldn’t put me on a list but indicated they were trying to buy allocations from other dealers and the third (and seemingly the best) actually put me on a list; I am number 5. Based on the input here, maybe I will call a few other dealers but it seems like I should just trust that the dealers will work through their lists….
Old 10-08-2021 | 10:17 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Buying used, paying ADM, or finding a broker (commission expected) is the only way to get yourself one any time soon. And by that, I mean by probably late Spring or early Summer (earliest), if they even release more allocations at all.

Calling around has limited usefulness, as many dealers want to do business with locals, not out of state buyers. Your request will go in line behind all their local buyer's requests. It is a HUGE seller's market.

I'm in DFW as well; I've called them all. None of them have allocations to give (at this point). I wouldn't put too much stock in your position in line, either; they have customers that spend BIG money with them that will always get consideration before us average mortals.

Last edited by Adrift; 10-08-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2021 | 10:17 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I think you will have to wait for your 50th! Search this forum on "allocation" and you will see what I mean.
The following users liked this post:
josephr25 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021 | 10:19 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I think you will have to wait for your 50th! Search this forum on "allocation" and you will see what I mean.
lol
Old 10-08-2021 | 10:30 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Don't be discouraged with some of the comments . I will suggest select 5 dealers that are MSRP dealers , couple local to you and others within couple of neighboring states
contact the GSM directly by phone and have a casual discussion and see if they are honest or not
if honest, give them your info and wait
no one knows how much additional cars Porsche is going to produce and for how long , so basically no one know future inventory.
also markets might shift from extremely low supply and high demand, to better supply and less demand depending on multiple factors like economy, stock market etc
I got 7 % discount on my 981 spyder in 2016 as dealers were having hard times moving them .
So it is not like buying a Camry, but with some work , there is a good chance you can get a car
Old 10-08-2021 | 10:35 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitt911
Don't be discouraged with some of the comments . I will suggest select 5 dealers that are MSRP dealers , couple local to you and others within couple of neighboring states
contact the GSM directly by phone and have a casual discussion and see if they are honest or not
no one knows how much additional cars Porsche is going to produce and for how long , so basically no one know future inventory.
also markets might shift from extremely low supply and high demand, to better supply and less demand depending on multiple factors like economy, stock market etc
I got 7 % discount on my 981 spyder in 2016 as dealers were having hard times moving them .
So it is not like buying a Camry, but with some work , there is a good chance you can get a car
The comments are just facts, and if the OP searched this forum as I suggested he would see for himself. People have been trying to get allocations for months and the dealers that are putting people on lists are asking about $15k over sticker, even though odds are they may get one, of none, allocations.
Old 10-08-2021 | 10:52 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

GT4/Spyder allocations are coming to an end in the very near future once GT4RS starts production.

718 deliveries were down 30% in 3rd QTR due to global issues. RL members report severe difficulty finding an allocation for the last 6 months or so.

"Calling around" was a valid technique a year ago. My SA fields calls all the time from local/out of state "interested" parties -- anyone on their list at this point is a known entity and not all will get one.

Search the allocation thread for a broker and negotiate his fee and/or ADM with the dealer. Paying ADM is preferable to paying market value for a used car.

Have you visited a dealership and talked to an SA? What did they say? How deep is their list? Success will take some effort or personal touch.

Good luck
Old 10-08-2021 | 12:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by pitt911
Sorry, this entire post made me lol.
Old 10-08-2021 | 01:11 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

From someone who took like 3 months to get an allocation after attempting to call every single dealer in the country. Your chances of getting one is pretty slim. I eventually got one through a broker who had one lined up and ready to be delivered(I only had 1 week before freeze date). I did hear that Mckenna Porsche in california had 2 spyder allocations like 2 weeks ago, but who knows. They are probably gone already.
Old 10-08-2021 | 01:18 PM
Mtnbkrlts
Advanced

Originally Posted by SlickxAC
From someone who took like 3 months to get an allocation after attempting to call every single dealer in the country. Your chances of getting one is pretty slim. I eventually got one through a broker who had one lined up and ready to be delivered(I only had 1 week before freeze date). I did hear that Mckenna Porsche in california had 2 spyder allocations like 2 weeks ago, but who knows. They are probably gone already.
What is the typical ADM markup or commission when using a broker?
Old 10-08-2021 | 01:19 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Several dealers have told me that right now there are ZERO allocations coming from Porsche. So any dealer that has one has it from a while ago (unlikely). Not sure how accurate that information is but I received it from at least 4 local dealers so I trust it. I'm about to offer well over MSRP for the right car on the used market. Gotta pay to play.

That said, if anyone here has a 718 Spyder with PCCB's, 18 way seats and a manual transmission for sale, please PM me. I'm ready, willing and able. No red, yellow or black.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 10-11-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie Allocation Question