Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

2022 EPA Certification

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Mtnbkrlts
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2022 EPA Certification

As someone with a 2022 Spyder sitting at Port Jacksonville, waiting for the 2022 model year to be certified by the EPA/CARB, is there a consumer-facing website that anyone knows about where I can monitor the certification timeline or progress? Thanks!
Old 08-07-2021, 05:54 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,082 Posts

You can monitor the EPA site directly and view the submitted documents.

The site does not get updated in real time—it lags.

Last year the on sale date was 4 Dec. First week of Nov my SA sent me the screenshot below—estimating new sale date. The cars were certed on 16 November and immediately released from the port.

If you’re in one of twelve CARB states it’ll likely be latter. Last year like 4-6 weeks later.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:09 PM
Mtnbkrlts
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep, that's what I'm looking for, but Google search is letting me down. If anyone has a link to share, I'd appreciate it!
Old 08-07-2021, 06:31 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here ya go

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/pubsearch.jsp

You can check out the 2021 Documents and timeline.

I didn’t check for 2022 models.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I searched the system and an application for the 2022 4.0 models has not been entered into the system. I suspect we will see an application entered in September. October 1 delivery might be optimistic, but since there have been no engine changes, it could go quickly.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:15 AM
Merlotsj
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I searched the system and an application for the 2022 4.0 models has not been entered into the system. I suspect we will see an application entered in September. October 1 delivery might be optimistic, but since there have been no engine changes, it could go quickly.
That’s what I thought when my car was being built on September 6th, 2020 as a 2021 Model Year. I still thought that when my car arrived in Port of Benicia, CA in early October. I took delivery on 16 December, finally. Being the same engine as the 2020s didn’t help a bit. The 2021 911s released at the same time, my dealer had 20 to 30 cars arrive the same week as mine, most of which had sat in port for months.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:17 PM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

Are we 100% sure that recertification must be done on an annual basis --- even when the OEM doesn't change anything?

My takeaway from the EPA link below is that the certification system remains substantially the same as it was some years back. Specifically, one had to perform the testing for "each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine." Thus, I can understand why the introduction of the PDK on 2021 models would require a new test for them and they could not be sold until those results came through. (Presumably the manual transmission versions would not have been delayed)

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/which_tested.shtml

If I am wrong and every new model year requires testing (even if no changes are made) then we'd also have to consider that those subject to the Conrod fiasco and who did not yet get a 2021 production replacement engine will ALSO have to wait for this certification. Why? Because EPA certification applies to both engines and motor vehicles.

Last edited by ausgang; 08-08-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:32 PM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Not sure how reliable this is, but I spoke with someone on the delivery side at PCNA when enquiring about PEC delivery (my car is due end of October) and was assured that there should not be any delays in EPA/CARB certification this year like there were last year.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:52 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgang
Are we 100% sure that recertification must be done on an annual basis --- even when the OEM doesn't change anything?

My takeaway from the EPA link below is that the certification system remains substantially the same as it was some years back. Specifically, one had to perform the testing for "each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine." Thus, I can understand why the introduction of the PDK on 2021 models would require a new test for them and they could not be sold until those results came through. (Presumably the manual transmission versions would not have been delayed)

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/which_tested.shtml

If I am wrong and every new model year requires testing (even if no changes are made) then we'd also have to consider that those subject to the Conrod fiasco and who did not yet get a 2021 production replacement engine will ALSO have to wait for this certification. Why? Because EPA certification applies to both engines and motor vehicles.
Yes, every new MY gets certified.

USG doesn’t test, the manufacturers self certify USG compliance and testing.

Quick Reply: 2022 EPA Certification