Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

R8 V10 6MT vs 718 GTS 4.0 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 10:06 AM
baege
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 117 Posts
Default R8 V10 6MT vs 718 GTS 4.0 6MT

You may think this is an odd cross shop and well maybe it is, but it's where I am at.

I currently have a 2020 M2 Competition, which is a great car that I enjoy. But I do miss natural aspiration and a more dedicated sports car experience and I want that back in my life.

I've had 2 prior 981 Cayman S's, 2014 and a 2016,

the scenarios I debate are:

1. 2010-2015 R8 V10 6MT plus a 15 to 20k manual car like a golf gti or brz or frs. In this scenario, I have to rent another parking spot and pay for additional insurance. I don't drive alot so the R8 would likely get driven at most 5000 km a year, and about the same for the "regular car"

2. 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 manual, which would be my only car, driven year around about 10000 km probably.

I have driven 2 R8 v10 6mts and the experience was dominated by the v10 sound and instant throttle response and power and torque. The second one was a bad example I think as it didn't quite enthrall me like the first, perhaps there was something off about it. But the first drive was amazing, mind blowing experience, reminded me of the first time I ever drove a 981S.

obviously I have significant experience with the cayman platform.

I don't want to include economics in all of this, as it is probably a wash or very difficult to predict.

it's more about which scenario will actually bring more smiles per mile.

what attracts me to the r8 is the sound and power, and maybe the looks a little (I like it, but I was never a diehard fan) honestly that's about it. What causes me to hesitate is that fact that I would be getting a much older car with the associated more worn out feel, the much larger size, the attention the car gets and the headaches and worries that come with that, and the overall sense that an audi just won't in the end offer the integrated connected driving experience that a porsche does

what attracts me to the gts 4.0, is the amazing driving experience I know it will offer, its compact size, it's usability and its greater normalcy. what causes me to hesitate is the fact that I have had 2 981 S's before and I got bored of them so it is likely happen again, it won't be as unique and new experience as the R8.

anyways interested to hear people's perspectives on this,

Last edited by baege; 12-05-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 AM
GusRandall
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

This may not be super helpful but some things to consider and clearly this is all about your feelings on the matter but one thing to consider: You've had 981s. You know what that car can do. The GTS 4.0 will be better handling and faster than the 981s. So you know how well this car fits the kind of driving you want to do when you're just getting out to drive. OTOH, You've had 2 already and now would be getting a 3rd. Would it lose a little of that "newness/freshness" since there are a lot of similarities to the 981s (especially at +$20K in price)? I ask this last question because the R8 would be an entirely new experience and it will be a much rarer car. I know that I hate driving around and seeing lots of whatever I'm driving. It's not that I don't want other people to have nice things, it's just I like uniqueness.

That said, I had a 2012 987C, 2014 918BS, 2017 718S, and have a blown out custom spec'd 718CGTS 4.0 in production right now. I love the Caymans. I've driven a lot of cares and there is nothing that makes you feel as connected to the vehicle like a Cayman. Of course I have never driven an R8. Maybe it has that same connected feeling. Maybe it is as balanced and thrilling as a Cayman to drive and you get the exotic factor. I probably haven't helped much but those are some factors I'd consider - especially if I wasn't going to consider the economics.
The following 2 users liked this post by GusRandall:
baege (12-05-2020), phillipy (12-08-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 10:50 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
You may think this is an odd cross shop and well maybe it is, but it's where I am at.

I currently have a 2020 M2 Competition, which is a great car that I enjoy. But I do miss natural aspiration and a more dedicated sports car experience and I want that back in my life.

I've had 2 prior 981 Cayman S's, 2014 and a 2016,

the scenarios I debate are:

1. 2010-2015 R8 V10 6MT plus a 15 to 20k manual car like a golf gti or brz or frs. In this scenario, I have to rent another parking spot and pay for additional insurance. I don't drive alot so the R8 would likely get driven at most 5000 km a year, and about the same for the "regular car"

2. 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 manual, which would be my only car, driven year around about 10000 km probably.

I have driven 2 R8 v10 6mts and the experience was dominated by the v10 sound and instant throttle response and power and torque. The second one was a bad example I think as it didn't quite enthrall me like the first, perhaps there was something off about it. But the first drive was amazing, mind blowing experience, reminded me of the first time I ever drove a 981S.

obviously I have significant experience with the cayman platform.

I don't want to include economics in all of this, as it is probably a wash or very difficult to predict.

it's more about which scenario will actually bring more smiles per mile.

what attracts me to the r8 is the sound and power, and maybe the looks a little (I like it, but I was never a diehard fan) honestly that's about it. What causes me to hesitate is that fact that I would be getting a much older car with the associated more worn out feel, the much larger size, the attention the car gets and the headaches and worries that come with that, and the overall sense that an audi just won't in the end offer the integrated connected driving experience that a porsche does

what attracts me to the gts 4.0, is the amazing driving experience I know it will offer, its compact size, it's usability and its greater normalcy. what causes me to hesitate is the fact that I have had 2 981 S's before and I got bored of them so it is likely happen again, it won't be as unique and new experience as the R8.

anyways interested to hear people's perspectives on this,
The R8 will have more straight line speed and a better out-of-the-box sound. The GT4 will be better in every other way. I did cross shop a lightly used R8 vs my 718 Spyder. I chose the Spyder, fully decked out, in exactly the spec I wanted, vs at the same price, a used R8 in which I would almost certainly be making some compromises on the spec.

Last edited by VVG; 12-05-2020 at 10:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
baege (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:16 AM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 114 Posts

My $0.02, get a GT4.

The R8 is cool but not really 'special', the V10 is great but it's still an Audi and has the interior and driving dynamics that come with it.. I feel an R8 is a great car to experience but doesn't seem to have any real attributes that would make it on option if you could only have1 'sports' car. I've looked at used R8's too but can never justify them over Porsche options.

The GTS would be a great all rounder but you seem to buy something every 2 years anyway so why not get a GT4 and check that box, it's as practical as a GTS but a bit more special. It will attract a bit more attention, but will give you one of the best 'sports car' driving experiences available right now at that price point.
The following 2 users liked this post by Buckett76:
baege (12-05-2020), phefner (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:39 AM
vince993tt
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 45 Posts

I too have owned multiple Cayman S models (987 and 981), along with a 981 Spyder and now a 982 Spyder. I also seriously considered a MT R8 (V8), and have thought many times about going with a MT V10 as you are considering. As is often said, it really depends on what you value most, and on what kind of driving you do and what roads you have. It's difficult to choose sometimes, since cars are so different. And it is easy to be overwhelmed by the sensations of driving a V10 R8, the sound, styling, etc. I mean, how can you beat that sound? But the best answer I can give is that I always come back to the driving feel and responsiveness of the Porsche mid-engine platform. I do drive on mostly remote mountain roads now with lots of tight turns, and so that is very different than living with the car in a more urban environment. But even when test driving the cars in an urban setting (North Tampa), I chose the Porsche over an Audi R8 instantly. I remember getting out of a thorough test drive of the R8 (V8), and I really liked the car. But before making a decision, I walked next door to the Porsche dealer and drove a new 2015 981 GTS. The instant I pulled out of the lot, I remembered why I love Porsches. The car felt so much lighter and more responsive than the Audi did, and I knew immediately that I couldn't be happy with the R8 over the Porsche. The more I test drove the GTS, the more the Audi lost interest for me. Night and day difference. Again, where you live and how you drive are big factors, and I'm sure I'd enjoy the sounds and looks of the R8 V10. But when forced to choose between the driving characteristics of the two cars (leaving the V10 sound out of the picture), there was no comparison. That's why I'm driving a 982 Spyder now when I could have gone with an R8 V10. Above all else, I'm drawn to the feel and responsiveness of a car...and the lighter and smaller the better. Which is why I also have an Alfa 4C that I haven't been willing to part with. Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by vince993tt:
baege (12-05-2020), minn19 (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 01:45 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by GusRandall
This may not be super helpful but some things to consider and clearly this is all about your feelings on the matter but one thing to consider: You've had 981s. You know what that car can do. The GTS 4.0 will be better handling and faster than the 981s. So you know how well this car fits the kind of driving you want to do when you're just getting out to drive. OTOH, You've had 2 already and now would be getting a 3rd. Would it lose a little of that "newness/freshness" since there are a lot of similarities to the 981s (especially at +$20K in price)? I ask this last question because the R8 would be an entirely new experience and it will be a much rarer car. I know that I hate driving around and seeing lots of whatever I'm driving. It's not that I don't want other people to have nice things, it's just I like uniqueness.

That said, I had a 2012 987C, 2014 918BS, 2017 718S, and have a blown out custom spec'd 718CGTS 4.0 in production right now. I love the Caymans. I've driven a lot of cares and there is nothing that makes you feel as connected to the vehicle like a Cayman. Of course I have never driven an R8. Maybe it has that same connected feeling. Maybe it is as balanced and thrilling as a Cayman to drive and you get the exotic factor. I probably haven't helped much but those are some factors I'd consider - especially if I wasn't going to consider the economics.
Good thoughts. In my limited experience with audis (about 10 test drives of various models including 2 r8's) they do NOT have the same connected feeling as a porsche, or even a BMW for that matter. If they did, honestly it would be a no brainer. I just worry that once the novelty of the v10 and its sound and power wore off, I would be left thinking this car is so big and otherwise somewhat dull and would want something like the porsche experience again...which would mean a significant loss on the R8!

Old 12-05-2020, 01:49 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

R8V10 or 4.0 GTS....kinda like choosing between two beautiful women. If, as you say, your highest priority is an "amazing driving experience" then the GTS is it, in my experience. Much better than your 'boring' older Cayman's.
minn19 (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 02:23 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by Buckett76
My $0.02, get a GT4.

The R8 is cool but not really 'special', the V10 is great but it's still an Audi and has the interior and driving dynamics that come with it.. I feel an R8 is a great car to experience but doesn't seem to have any real attributes that would make it on option if you could only have1 'sports' car. I've looked at used R8's too but can never justify them over Porsche options.

The GTS would be a great all rounder but you seem to buy something every 2 years anyway so why not get a GT4 and check that box, it's as practical as a GTS but a bit more special. It will attract a bit more attention, but will give you one of the best 'sports car' driving experiences available right now at that price point.
I am drawn more to the gts, the enhanced track capability and more extreme asthetics of the GT4 aren't up my alley!
minn19 (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 02:27 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

AMG GT C=Large, wide German muscle car

R8 V10=Large, wide German supercar

GTS 4.0=Small, tight German go cart

If dimension/weight matters to you then GTS.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:29 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by vince993tt
I too have owned multiple Cayman S models (987 and 981), along with a 981 Spyder and now a 982 Spyder. I also seriously considered a MT R8 (V8), and have thought many times about going with a MT V10 as you are considering. As is often said, it really depends on what you value most, and on what kind of driving you do and what roads you have. It's difficult to choose sometimes, since cars are so different. And it is easy to be overwhelmed by the sensations of driving a V10 R8, the sound, styling, etc. I mean, how can you beat that sound? But the best answer I can give is that I always come back to the driving feel and responsiveness of the Porsche mid-engine platform. I do drive on mostly remote mountain roads now with lots of tight turns, and so that is very different than living with the car in a more urban environment. But even when test driving the cars in an urban setting (North Tampa), I chose the Porsche over an Audi R8 instantly. I remember getting out of a thorough test drive of the R8 (V8), and I really liked the car. But before making a decision, I walked next door to the Porsche dealer and drove a new 2015 981 GTS. The instant I pulled out of the lot, I remembered why I love Porsches. The car felt so much lighter and more responsive than the Audi did, and I knew immediately that I couldn't be happy with the R8 over the Porsche. The more I test drove the GTS, the more the Audi lost interest for me. Night and day difference. Again, where you live and how you drive are big factors, and I'm sure I'd enjoy the sounds and looks of the R8 V10. But when forced to choose between the driving characteristics of the two cars (leaving the V10 sound out of the picture), there was no comparison. That's why I'm driving a 982 Spyder now when I could have gone with an R8 V10. Above all else, I'm drawn to the feel and responsiveness of a car...and the lighter and smaller the better. Which is why I also have an Alfa 4C that I haven't been willing to part with. Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.
this is very helpful relevant experience and it reminds me of the time I was considering a 2010 aston martin vantage 6mt to replace my 2007 bmw z4 coupe 3.0si 6mt. I remember the aston sounded incredible and felt faster than the z4, but it also felt duller, bigger and I was less connected to the driving experience. The aston was my dream car at the time and while I wanted to love it, I just didn't. 3 months later I test drove a 981S and was absolutely blown away by the porsche driving experience and ordered one...

I did really enjoy the one r8 v10 I drove though...unlike what happened with the vantage (the other r8 I drove was more like the vantage experience)
GT4Lover (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 02:30 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Buckett76

The GTS would be a great all rounder but you seem to buy something every 2 years anyway so why not get a GT4 and check that box, it's as practical as a GTS but a bit more special.
Agreed, just make sure you avoid major potholes...
Old 12-05-2020, 02:33 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by baege
The aston was my dream car at the time and while I wanted to love it, I just didn't. 3 months later I test drove a 981S and was absolutely blown away by the porsche driving experience and ordered one...
Lucky, the depreciation you would have experienced on a 2010 Aston would have blown you away even more...
Old 12-05-2020, 04:17 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you're on the right track with 2 cars instead of one. This allows you to more fully enjoy each as you're only using it when the time is appropriate. Think of it as a bad weather car and a good weather car. The question IMO is the choice of cars.
I like the R8, but the diff is night and day vs the total PKG of the 718 GTS.
My choice would be the 718 GTS and then your bad weather car - GTIbis a good one I don't remember your other choice... I really enjoy my Countryman S All4 MT. Lots of fun lower prices cars out there.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:16 PM
REDCOMET
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Even I owned 2 Audi now (2.0T B8 A4 avant + 3.0 V6 supercharge S5) and loving them a lot and have way better experience with them than all the BMW that I have before. I will still pick the 718 for a pure sport car. The 2.5T GTS that I have may not as fast as my supercharge S5(with a tune) but the small car go kart feel of the 718 is hard to compare! And I though Honda MT is the best then after I have my Porsche, I won't say Honda has the best MT anymore! So now I am really looking forward for my GTS 4.0 to come in spring. In the mean time I can only drive my "boring" Audi for now :P

BTW, just curious why if choosing a R8 then you will get another car but if you choose 718 then it will be a year round car? In Toronto, R8 or 718 are not rare car at all! I see them more often then Ford Focus on the street. For me I just store my Porsche & Honda for winter and let the Audi do the winter job.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:29 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by REDCOMET

BTW, just curious why if choosing a R8 then you will get another car but if you choose 718 then it will be a year round car? In Toronto, R8 or 718 are not rare car at all! I see them more often then Ford Focus on the street. For me I just store my Porsche & Honda for winter and let the Audi do the winter job.
the R8 is way too big and impractical to be our only car, you could never even buy ice cream if there are 2 of you! (the ice cream will melt in the frunk)

so yes R8 means 2 cars, 718 GTS means only 1 car

I had a cayman 981S as our only car for 4 years and it worked fine for dinks

Quick Reply: R8 V10 6MT vs 718 GTS 4.0 6MT