Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has track driving ruined street driving for you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2024, 03:44 PM
Journeyman73
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
You have a goal to become an instructor. To then teach others how to be able to push their driving skills on track. Okay. And for that there may be certain requirements and standards that you need to meet.

For someone who doesn't have a tangible goal, however, why does it matter? And if that goal is some random time on a local track, why does that give someone a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment? Lap times are an objective measure of "progress", but progress for what end goal? Again, I am speaking to the garden variety "track person", not someone who shows promise from age 16 to be a world class driver.

I am going on in this discussion just to really understand. I know we are all just wired differently. Hope nobody takes any offense and people find it to just be a lively discussion !!
how is it any different than something like golf - if never aspiring to money tournaments or professional tours, why keep a score? Why have any amateur handicap system?

why have colored belts in martial art disciplines if not entering into tournaments?
Old 08-17-2024, 04:17 PM
ScottsGT3RS
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
It’s not really about rear end feel, it’s about feeling lateral and longitudinal g forces.
rear end = your butt. At a point you go behind what your butt can tell you and need the data to take it farther.
Old 08-17-2024, 05:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,561 Likes on 2,589 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottsGT3RS
rear end = your butt. At a point you go behind what your butt can tell you and need the data to take it farther.
I know rear end = butt. I feel lateral and longitudinal g forces with my whole body. ‘Butt’ is better for feeling rotation of the car.

One can get better and better without detailed data analysis. In the old days, pros only had a stopwatch.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Jonathan_987 (08-17-2024), VVG (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 11:40 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,131 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Journeyman73
how is it any different than something like golf - if never aspiring to money tournaments or professional tours, why keep a score? Why have any amateur handicap system?

why have colored belts in martial art disciplines if not entering into tournaments?
You are absolutely right, and I have thought about exactly this type of thing for a number of pursuits. What is ever the end point? To me, it all only matters once you start getting up to the ranks of world class or at least show promise to be on that trajectory. Otherwise there is no point. It all just becomes for fun, which is great in and of itself. I think martial arts are a bit different as you are also learning tangible self-defense skills.

But I think my view on this also explains to some degree why I enjoy the variety of sensory experiences of 100 miles of mountain roads just as much (or more) than a track day. And yes, I love being on track and seeing what I can do and what the car can do, but then what? Without writing my autobiography, I will tell that I have been at what would be regarded as a very high level in a certain aspect of my life, so I know that feeling, and as such, when I am doing something where I am not at that point, competing becomes meaningless to me.

Last edited by VVG; 08-17-2024 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2024, 11:42 PM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 394 Likes on 208 Posts

Nope, Track driving hasnt ruined street driving....frigging lane diets and bike lanes have ruined street driving...
Old 08-17-2024, 11:46 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,131 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Journeyman73

You are absolutely right, and I have thought about exactly this type of thing for a number of pursuits. What is ever the end point? To me, it all only matters once you start getting up to the ranks of world class or at least show promise to be on that trajectory. Otherwise there is no point. It all just becomes for fun, which is great in and of itself. I think martial arts are a bit different as you are also learning tangible self-defense skills.

But I think my view on this also explains to some degree why I enjoy the variety of sensory experiences of 100 miles of mountain roads just as much (or more) than a track day. And yes, I love being on track and seeing what I can do and what the car can do, but then what?

Without writing my autobiography, I can say that I have been at a very "high level" in a certain aspect of my life, so I know that feeling. As such, when I am doing something where I am not at that point, competing becomes meaningless to me.

Last edited by VVG; 08-17-2024 at 11:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
Alan C. (08-21-2024), silverscooby27 (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 10:19 PM
tammer
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Not sure what you are driving but I recommend getting a much-lower-powered car that enables you to get closer to its limits without ending up in jail, the hospital, or worse.

Most modern Porsches are way over powered for the street, IMO.

Get a base Cayman or any air-cooled Porsche. You'll have much more fun on regular street driving.
This is the way. Once you know what a car can do, you realize there is more fun to be had driving a slow car on the street so you can safely exploit its performance. Laugh all you want, but the most fun street car I owned was a Ford Fiesta ST. Super light, modest power, modest tires, able to feel movement at street speeds without going fast enough to endanger others or attract negative attention. The GT4 RS is for “fun” track and occasional open road, the race car is for “serious” track use. A 993 is the current fun street car, but even that has high enough limits to require pretty high speed to break loose. I often miss the Fiesta.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (08-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Has track driving ruined street driving for you?