Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has track driving ruined street driving for you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 10:01 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 892 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Scenic road trips. Especially in a convertible, it's quite enjoyable to get out of town and put some country road miles on the car, drop the top, enjoy a nice drive... find some destinations out in the country, make some stops, spend a night somewhere, find some nice scenic roads to get out to your destination. I find the spyder is actually a great road trip car.

I also enjoy mapping out fun routes in my area 2-3 hour long routes... and explore the back roads in the countryside. Early morning driving is the best for that...

There's no comparing tracking your car to driving on the street though - if your expectations are set differently you can enjoy both.
Here's an example - https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ster-25-a.html
Old 08-14-2024, 11:02 AM
HNL
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 31 Posts

I track a c7 Z06 and love it. I’m fortunate to have several other sports cars that I don’t track…including some P cars, Italians etc.

I love track driving and there really isn’t anything that matches the thrill but I love a good backroad hustle on the right road, the right time of day, etc.

For street cars, to me the sweet spot is about 3000 lbs, about 400hp, and a manual gearbox. Anything more is overkill on the street, you can’t come close to pushing the car without getting really stupid on unpredictable public roads. It cracks me up to see people with super high power cars that they never take to the track…pointless in my opinion unless you either a) are super irresponsible and put everyone’s lives at risk on public roads or b) just like to idle in to cars & coffee and rattle off magazine stats that you’ll never actually experience.
The following 4 users liked this post by HNL:
anx21 (08-14-2024), BoxKing (08-14-2024), Kheires (08-16-2024), TRSCobra (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 12:03 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 131 Posts

Track driving has made me more chill about driving on the road. I still enjoy cruising a canyon and taking in the scenery, but I'm not there to push much.

In short, I find it as silly to drive 10/10 fast on the road as it is to drive slow on the track.
The following 6 users liked this post by vantage:
BoxKing (08-14-2024), GrantG (08-14-2024), HNL (08-14-2024), Larry Cable (08-14-2024), needmoregarage (08-14-2024), Taffy66 (08-14-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-14-2024, 12:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,149 Likes on 2,904 Posts

One solution to enjoying street driving could be to use a car that is exciting to drive at sane speeds. Without multiplying the speed limit too much, I find more fun in my 51 year old 911 than in my GT3 in the local canyon and mountain roads. Its smaller size even lets you choose your line through a corner (rather than just trying to stay between the lines).

Having less that 2,000 pounds and more than 250hp with an entertaining chassis balance is really exciting without going triple digits.

Last edited by GrantG; 08-14-2024 at 12:14 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by GrantG:
fasteddie99 (08-15-2024), HNL (08-14-2024), Larry Cable (08-14-2024), lovetoturn (08-16-2024), Manifold (08-16-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 01:39 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 668 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Track driving made street driving MUCH better for me. I get my “thrills” on the track, and get it out of my system. It has made me more patient and much more aware on the street.
I have no interest in “pushing” any car on the street.

Sure, if I’m in some fun corners, and it’s safe (no people, no traffic) I may amp it up a bit to enjoy the car in that way, but when there’s traffic or risk of pedestrians I’m generally very conservative. And even when you think it’s “safe” there can be surprises (deer/animals, changes in surface/grip, etc).

I have no desire to attract LEO and driving any sporty car increases attention in general which (to me) is not desirable. Add driving it in a “sporty” fashion (pushing it) and the risks go higher than the reward (for me).
This ^ Track days relieves the want to drive fast on the road. I can relax and deal with traffic etc. much better.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
BoxKing (08-14-2024), Fast-Eddie (08-14-2024), needmoregarage (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 02:47 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 969 Likes on 457 Posts

The biggest advantage to back roads is you don't have to wait for a track day. On a whim I can be on one in ten minutes and spend the entire day there if I want. Granted not everyone has great roads nearby but if you do it makes track days less of a necessity. Actually, it's pretty nice out today...
The following 3 users liked this post by clutchplate:
MrFunk (08-14-2024), subwoofer (08-14-2024), VVG (08-17-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 02:58 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

I concur with the suggestion to get a roadster/convertible--top down no matter where you are going is fun. I currently own 2006 PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50 and a 2022 BGTS. Outside of trips to Porsche Parade in the Club Coupe, it gets a few drives now and then; the Boxster is the fun car to drive anywhere or nowhere in particular.

BTW, I'm a former HPDE track junkie to the tune of doing 18-22 weekends a year at the track. Loved it and made me a better driver all around. There's a few tricks like throttle steering my 997 heading into a corner that I can do on the street, but I'm not anywhere near the limit like it used to be on the track. A Ford Mustang (who was trailing me and trying to match me) nearly hit the guard rail of my favorite uphill on ramp because when I went from brakes to steady throttle then just eased off the gas to turn the car at the apex, there's no way the Mustang can do that, he/she was going too hot and almost clipped the guard rail on the outside of the curve. Fortunately for him or her, they didn't totally lose it and hit the guard rail but I bet he/she sh** their pants. It's always guys in old pickups or Mustangs that want to "play" when I'm out in the Porsches.
Old 08-14-2024, 06:02 PM
KayC
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 25 Posts

For me, short answer is Yes, track driving ruined street driving for me. Like others have said, track driving really lets me appreciate the engineering behind the GT4, where street driving, the limit is way too high in the GT4 to get near to. Track driving also allows me to get my inner "need for speed" out of my system. I now enjoy mountain driving in a different way, slower pace, more of enjoying the scenery, the beauty of the car, and appreciating life in general, rather than the machine if that makes sense
The following 5 users liked this post by KayC:
BoxKing (08-14-2024), ldamelio (08-14-2024), MOGI (08-14-2024), TRSCobra (08-14-2024), UncleDude (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 02:11 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 837 Likes on 422 Posts

If you are talking about cornering and threshold braking, then yes, racing > hpde > autox > street. You can’t even get a r compound tire into its optimal heat range on the street, let alone approach the real limit. But I still enjoy driving all the cars just in different ways. 992 cup is baller for a race, but would be too fast and boring for hpde. 4RS is fun for hpde and the short street drives. And the GF”s 992 cab manual is an awesome everyday car.
Old 08-15-2024, 02:23 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,535 Likes on 2,264 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
this sounds like more my speed when it comes to track driving, just enjoying the car and exploring it in a safe environment. This way you can appreciate the way the car accelerates, sounds, takes the curves and the way the manual shifts as opposed driving at full tilt where you simply can't even think about that stuff as you are so focused on your driving technique.
You got it! These cars are so capable, and it is exciting (for me anyway) even at 7/10 of the car's capability. Agree on the PCA comment, so far the events I've attended have focused on safety and fun (not time).
Old 08-15-2024, 02:40 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
You got it! These cars are so capable, and it is exciting (for me anyway) even at 7/10 of the car's capability. Agree on the PCA comment, so far the events I've attended have focused on safety and fun (not time).
With PCA events, they should ALL be focused on safety and fun (and learning). PCA insurance requires HPDE cannot be racing nor are they allowed to focus on lap-time or competition of any sort. In my experience, all HPDE are about safety/fun/learning no matter what club I’ve run with (and it’s been a bunch: PCA, BMW, Ferrari, Chin, AutoInterests, NASA, etc). They’ve all had the same theme (we are not racing). I assume it’s an insurance requirement for all HPDE.

The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 02:48 PM
decibel_fiend
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For me it's completely different and not mutually exclusive. Track is 'serious' in the sense that you can't be sloppy or goof around - you have to be smooth and precise with inputs. It's also pretty uncomfortable with a HANS and air-tight harness.

On the street, you can toss the car into corners, get the rear loose, do a pull down a tunnel, even just wheel around and listen to the rumble of the engine - very fun in its own right.

I've taken a break from track. But when I get back into it, I think it will be more cost-efficient (and purpose-built) to get a dedicated race car like a Rush SR or Formula Mazda and not hurt the streetability of my PCar with suspension mods, squealing track pads, etc

Last edited by decibel_fiend; 08-15-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2024, 03:05 PM
Enwave
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my GT4 RS for a couple of weeks now with two track days, have been lurking and this is the thread that made me finally sign up haha. My opinion on this might be different than most.

To me this is so dependent on the type of car. My two fun cars right now are a 2020 Toyota Supra built to 760hp and 780ft/lb and the GT4 RS.

I bought the GT4 RS because street driving ruined track driving for me in the Supra. And I would say that tracking the RS definitely makes street driving it feel worse.

I cannot hold traction anymore when driving a road course in the Supra. At this point it should be on a true drag pack, but I hate the look. On track there is just too much torque and not enough downforce. The limit is so low now. But for zipping stoplight to stoplight or occasionally making a Lamborghini owner feel bad on the freeway? It’s incredible. All the early torque feels awesome, and you don’t have to break the law to enjoy that. I went to sell the car to help offset the GT4 RS purchase and just couldn’t let go of it.

On the flip side, the 4RS offers so little torque stoplight to stoplight that it actually feels a little boring in some ways. But I have never driven a more engaging and rewarding driver’s car on the track, even with the PDK. The power levels are right where they need to be for that context. I can do an extra 30-40mph in some corners vs. the Supra. It sounds incredible. The brakes never fade. Temps stay pegged right where they should be no matter what you do. It is right at home. But unless you’re in 1st/2nd high RPM revving it out and looking like an idiot on the streets, it is uneventful.

Most people say a slower car driven fast is more fun on the streets, but I disagree. I love a crazy low-end torque car for the streets, and a high revving linear powerband for the track. Something like the Miata is definitely amazing for both, but it doesn’t match the fun of a torque monster daily or a more perfectly powered track weapon. If I could only have one car, I’d probably pick something like the Miata or a more entry level 718. But if I have two, they’re both gonna be fast. Just in different ways.

The following 3 users liked this post by Enwave:
maschinetheist (08-16-2024), MrFunk (08-17-2024), slilley (08-16-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 03:11 PM
decibel_fiend
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Enwave
I have had my GT4 RS for a couple of weeks now with two track days, have been lurking and this is the thread that made me finally sign up haha. My opinion on this might be different than most.

To me this is so dependent on the type of car. My two fun cars right now are a 2020 Toyota Supra built to 760hp and 780ft/lb and the GT4 RS.

I bought the GT4 RS because street driving ruined track driving for me in the Supra. And I would say that tracking the RS definitely makes street driving it feel worse.

I cannot hold traction anymore when driving a road course in the Supra. At this point it should be on a true drag pack, but I hate the look. On track there is just too much torque and not enough downforce. The limit is so low now. But for zipping stoplight to stoplight or occasionally making a Lamborghini owner feel bad on the freeway? It’s incredible. All the early torque feels awesome, and you don’t have to break the law to enjoy that. I went to sell the car to help offset the GT4 RS purchase and just couldn’t let go of it.

On the flip side, the 4RS offers so little torque stoplight to stoplight that it actually feels a little boring in some ways. But I have never driven a more engaging and rewarding driver’s car on the track, even with the PDK. The power levels are right where they need to be for that context. I can do an extra 30-40mph in some corners vs. the Supra. It sounds incredible. The brakes never fade. Temps stay pegged right where they should be no matter what you do. It is right at home. But unless you’re in 1st/2nd high RPM revving it out and looking like an idiot on the streets, it is uneventful.

Most people say a slower car driven fast is more fun on the streets, but I disagree. I love a crazy low-end torque car for the streets, and a high revving linear powerband for the track. Something like the Miata is definitely amazing for both, but it doesn’t match the fun of a torque monster daily or a more perfectly powered track weapon. If I could only have one car, I’d probably pick something like the Miata or a more entry level 718. But if I have two, they’re both gonna be fast. Just in different ways.
My ideal garage would be (1) NA mid-engine manual street car that sounds great (i.e. my GTS4.0), (2) AWD DCT tuned turbo car (R35 or G80 xDrive), (3) dedicated track car. Completely agree that high power turbo is fun on the street - so long as you have traction
The following users liked this post:
Enwave (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 03:54 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Enwave

Nice first post...

I go back and forth on what's ideal and what i enjoy on street vs. track. I raced W2W for years and prefer having a dedicated race car but hate dealing with the trailers and keeping a tow truck. I have a GT3 Touring now but keep coming back to the 4RS for it's size and I miss having an RS for it's ability to drive to the track, blast around and head home but I'm also always thinking about it's cost. I've had my share of on track incidents, always in a race though, and do worry about someone crunching me. Unfortunately where i live there's no good back roads but there are 3 tracks close and COTA is doable for weekends.

Quick Reply: Has track driving ruined street driving for you?