Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS getting new engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 01:16 AM
Asiandude66
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

So how does this work?...

1) oil pressure light comes on
2) if not shut down in time, the engine go 'kaboom'?

Is the probable cause a failed pump?
Old 09-07-2024, 03:21 AM
GT6only
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The recent one is mine. Dealer checked in system that there is another case in a nearby city. I am waiting for their reply. 2500miles, first track day after oil service. Drove for 5 minutes in first session, then it happened after two warm up laps in the second session. It came all suddenly without any symptom. Sparkle plugs, coils, oil pump were all checked, no problem. I will provide more info after they confirm what happened and how to compensate. And I will definitely miss Porsche GT track and Sports Cup next month.
Old 09-07-2024, 03:23 AM
GT6only
AutoX

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Care to disclose where your data is coming from?
The recent one is mine. Dealer checked in system that there is another case in a nearby city. I am waiting for their reply. 2500miles, first track day after oil service. Drove for 5 minutes in first session, then it happened after two warm up laps in the second session. It came all suddenly without any symptom. Sparkle plugs, coils, oil pump were all checked, no problem. I will provide more info after they confirm what happened and how to compensate. And I will definitely miss Porsche GT track and Sports Cup next month.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:29 AM
stressless
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure of a number of incidents of oil pressure failure warning and subsequent engine failure that have been reported on RL but I counted 8 between RL and other direct knowledge. That was up to this past Thursday, Sept. 5, 2024. Now two more in China and another reported oil pressure warning I learned of directly from the owner. He drove it up to the curb in front of me at Watkins Glen this past Friday. In speaking with him he mentioned that he got an oil pressure warning while driving to the Glen. No noise or anything else to make him stop the car. He had 2900 miles on the odo. I simply warned him about these reports and that if he heard anything strange, stop the car and call 1-800-Porsche. So that is now a total of 11 reported oil pressure warnings. I have heard nothing from the GT3 owners with the same engine.
The following users liked this post:
GT6only (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 08:07 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,057 Likes on 386 Posts

So 11 known failures on 2000+ GT4RS's? While I know sometimes with Porsche, where there's smoke, there's fire (or bad DLC coatings, bad coolant fitting glue or IMS bearings), it's not always the case. Will be curious to see if it's more widespread over time. Until then, I'm driving the **** out of mine.
Old 09-08-2024, 08:23 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 379 Posts

What would make these failures GT4 RS specific? Isn't the oiling system the same as the GT3/GT3RS motors? Different issues at play because the motor is reversed?

I lived with a 991.1 GT3 motor for 6 years, I thought that crap would be behind me with the 4RS.
Old 09-08-2024, 08:34 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
What would make these failures GT4 RS specific?
I don't think it is. My 991.2 RS engine blew (fortunately for me after I traded in the car). There were others too.
RDCR (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 11:01 PM
Asiandude66
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
What would make these failures GT4 RS specific? Isn't the oiling system the same as the GT3/GT3RS motors? Different issues at play because the motor is reversed?

I lived with a 991.1 GT3 motor for 6 years, I thought that crap would be behind me with the 4RS.

Is it me or does seem like it is disproportionately being reported on GT4RS cars and MY2024...
The oil system must be appreciably different with the engine turned around...But some reported failures have been on cars just cruising around.

Last edited by Asiandude66; 09-08-2024 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,147 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Asiandude66
Is it me or does seem like it is disproportionately being reported on GT4RS cars and MY2024...
The oil system must be appreciably different with the engine turned around...But some reported failures have been on cars just cruising around.
If it’s something like a bad batch of oil pumps, then the timing of that could have disproportionately hit the 4RS if production of GT3 had slowed during the same period (only model that shares identical engine).
Airbag997 (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 12:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,123 Likes on 5,271 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
So 11 known failures on Rennlist on 2000+ GT4RS's? While I know sometimes with Porsche, where there's smoke, there's fire (or bad DLC coatings, bad coolant fitting glue or IMS bearings), it's not always the case. Will be curious to see if it's more widespread over time. Until then, I'm driving the **** out of mine.
Which just means we are only a getting a very skewed sample.

Not to mention all of those that are not "known" (read: NDA).
Old 09-09-2024, 01:30 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,767 Likes on 2,764 Posts

This is quite the supposition; do you have information that suggests that part of the oil system not actually connected to the engine is that different?

Old 09-09-2024, 10:56 AM
timschwim
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SK991.2
Saw this thread looking to see if there was any trend in blown motors.. we have 2 GT4RS , both with less than break in miles, with engine failure due to LOSS of oil pressure.
Here's a thread dedicated to GT4 engine failures due to oil pump related issues
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ispreloading=1
Old 09-09-2024, 11:49 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS
About 45 days ago I was heading back from a car show in Tampa and the engine (850 miles on odometer) started making knocking sounds then all of a sudden made a large thunk and the engine shut off. Long story short, connecting rod #4 came apart which is why the engine locked up.

Question: How will this affect future value of the car since Porsche is putting in a new engine under warranty? I know when you have an accident you can sometimes recover money for diminished value. Just curious. Thanks!

I've read of multiple connecting rod failures on various GT cars...and I unfortunately had a connecting rod failure while driving a buddy's 3RS.
Old 09-09-2024, 11:54 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

So how does this work?...

1) oil pressure light comes on
2) if not shut down in time, the engine go 'kaboom'?

Is the probable cause a failed pump?
When it happened to me while driving my buddies car it literally had no warning just a loud noise, "clanky" feel, Christmas tree of lights, and car limps to a stop. Luckily we were on a straight away as we lost power steering and power to the brakes (highly concerning).
Old 09-09-2024, 11:52 PM
GT6only
AutoX

Originally Posted by RADONCulous
When it happened to me while driving my buddies car it literally had no warning just a loud noise, "clanky" feel, Christmas tree of lights, and car limps to a stop. Luckily we were on a straight away as we lost power steering and power to the brakes (highly concerning).
It was so embarrassing that my session was being broadcast online, and my car caused a red flag. It took quite a long time to be towed to the pit (several friends sent messages to me asking what was wrong). I remember the steering and brakes were working after the engine stopped, but they didn't come back after I switched the power off.

Quick Reply: GT4RS getting new engine