Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Spyder RS Production and Delivery Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 10:56 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I’m not able to make perfect sense of it for you because I’m not a chemical engineer. But if you think about the film, it has to be stretched and it needs to wrap around every panel; and therefore the panel has to have a certain rigidity to it to hold the film. And topical texture matters also. Think about covering the edge of your granite or quartz countertop in your kitchen with plastic/Saran wrap: it will lay down and stick to the countertop and wrap down over the edge. Now take the plastic/Saran wrap and try to do that on a plastic spatula or some other crappy plastic lying around the house — the wrap won’t lay down, and it won’t stick.

In any event, I’ve visited the local paint protection film guys many dozens of times and have covered more than a dozen of my own cars (at tremendous cost by the way, as I shake my head at how expensive this stuff is) and have learned a bit about the trade over the years; there are certain types of panels that the stuff will not adhere to. Naturally there are ongoing improvements in science and technology and therefore this may be possible now or soon; but industry standard for the moment is that the crappy exterior trim pieces in flat black plastic (which exist on pretty much all cars) are not part of the scope of ppf. I’m not an expert on this but I know what I’ve been able to cover and what I’ve not been able to cover.
I think you are getting confused on what is bare plastic and what is painted matte black. There is a huge difference property wise and I agree bare plastic can not be covered in film. Matte Black PAINT over plastic however can be. We can just agree to disagree on this.... Let's get back to topic on this thread.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 03-06-2024 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:00 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I think you are getting confused on what is bare plastic and what is painted matte black. There is a huge difference property wise and I agree bare plastic can not be covered in film. Matte Black PAINT over plastic however can be. We can just agree to disagree on this.... Let's get back to topic on this thread.
I don’t really disagree with you… I am just trying to get to the bottom of what you’re saying in terms of applying the knowledge. I mentioned various examples above in Post #476 of pieces which cannot be covered… wouldn’t it be helpful if you responded directly to those examples? I’m not being wise — as I said I’m not an expert, and you seem to know about this subject. I agree it’s best to get back on topic but you did not say whether the pieces I mentioned could or could not be covered in PPF. I also don’t think any of the plastic is bare plastic; even the crappy panels have a topcoat on them — is that also wrong?

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-06-2024 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:21 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,210 Posts

I think you’re going to want to cover some of these parts.

Specifically, the intake scoops. Those are subject to self inflicted abuse every time you pull away.

Seems like you’ll be fine on these parts. Many people bought the plastic GT4 scoops had them painted, PPF’d, and installed. I’d think the painted CFRP would be same.
The following users liked this post:
coldfire (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 12:51 PM
hk43
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 57 Posts

Just got word my SRS left the port of shipment today which also caused my final delivery estimate to move 3 weeks closer, hooray! Does anyone know if the little picture of my car is accurate to where it is actually cruising in the ocean?
The following 3 users liked this post by hk43:
McClown (03-06-2024), n4v4nod (03-06-2024), UncleDude (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 12:54 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by hk43

Just got word my SRS left the port of shipment today which also caused my final delivery estimate to move 3 weeks closer, hooray! Does anyone know if the little picture of my car is accurate to where it is actually cruising in the ocean?
Wow this is great! You are one of the first ones.

I doubt that. But you can obtain the name of the vessel and track it that way.
Ferrarisimo (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:42 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 63 Posts

Congrats, I really hope to see your car driving around the 416 one day! What kind of Green is that?

When my Boxster was shipped, I subscribed to a ship tracking website. The Porsche Track your dreams site showed the car going north over Scotland then west to Halifax. The ship tracking website (using satellite information) showed the ship sailing south through the English Channel past the Bay of Biscay then turning west at around the Azores. So no, the position is unlikely to be correct, however, I while I was tracking, it seemed to me that the TYD map is pretty close in Longitude, just nowhere near in latitude.

Last edited by Amochosto; 03-06-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Alan C. (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,769 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Yes — to matte paint on a metal surface… not to the matte painted plastic crap on cars. For example the painted black plastic chin spoiler is not receiving paint protection film.
I don’t really disagree with you… I am just trying to get to the bottom of what you’re saying in terms of applying the knowledge. I mentioned various examples above in Post #476 of pieces which cannot be covered… wouldn’t it be helpful if you responded directly to those examples? I’m not being wise — as I said I’m not an expert, and you seem to know about this subject. I agree it’s best to get back on topic but you did not say whether the pieces I mentioned could or could not be covered in PPF. I also don’t think any of the plastic is bare plastic; even the crappy panels have a topcoat on them — is that also wrong?
The front spoiler is not painted, it is raw molded plastic... Polypropylene

Not talking about plastic bumpers… PPF adheres to body work of all materials including bumpers. I am talking about the black plastic crap — maybe you’re referring to it as naked plastic… I don’t know that terminology. I mean the flat black plastic crap trim pieces around the car like rocker panels, chin spoiler, front air duct pieces, head restraints on Boxster (non-painted standard finish), etc. Those are flat black plastic but they’re still painted with a topcoat, no? Either way — ppf doesn’t adhere to that.
You seem to be mixing a lot of plastic parts together, and it can't be said that all plastic is the same, there are many different types. Add to this that everything that is plastic and black on a Porsche is not necessarily the same material or finish.

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-06-2024 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:11 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

[QUOTE=348SStb;19317249 And topical texture matters also. Think about covering the edge of your granite or quartz countertop in your kitchen with plastic/Saran wrap: it will lay down and stick to the countertop and wrap down over the edge. Now take the plastic/Saran wrap and try to do that on a plastic spatula or some other crappy plastic lying around the house — the wrap won’t lay down, and it won’t stick.

[/QUOTE]
While it still doesn't make sense to me, I guess I'll take your word for it. However your example here is not comparable since you are comparing two different non-painted items. If they were both painted, with the same paint, I would expect the same impact on the plastic wrap. I would expect it to be a surface issue, which is the paint, not the material that is painted. But I'm not an engineer or chemist, I'm just trying to be logical.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:05 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Amochosto

however, I while I was tracking, it seemed to me that the TYD map is pretty close in Longitude, just nowhere near in latitude.
Ironic, given that longitude was historically much harder to discern for sailors than latitude.
Amochosto (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 05:23 PM
McClown
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Wooohooo! Great news. Can you find which ship it is on and then track it via https://www.marinetraffic.com/ ?
Old 03-06-2024, 05:24 PM
McClown
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry, should have read to the end of the thread. Was just rather excited for you @hk43
Old 03-06-2024, 07:04 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 708 Posts

Question on topic for this thread.

what were you told about the # of months that porsche would store your SRS if doing European delivery? I swore I read here and on the 992 forum that Porsche would only store a newly produced car for two months? (Because ED was so popular).

I ask because I want to be wrong about the above paragraph. My SRS finishes production the end of April. I was recently able to secure a European delivery slot for Aug 26th.

I’m very excited excited for ED, though I’m a bit concerned someone from PCNA will call me and cancel my ED, because my Spyder will have to wait nearly 4 months before I pick it up?

what do you guys think?
Old 03-06-2024, 07:24 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Did you check the RL ED forum?
n4v4nod (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 08:39 PM
hk43
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow this is great! You are one of the first ones.

I doubt that. But you can obtain the name of the vessel and track it that way.
Thank you! I guess I don't need to know the exact location of the actual ship - just thought it would be fun if the app was real time.

Originally Posted by Amochosto
Congrats, I really hope to see your car driving around the 416 one day! What kind of Green is that?

When my Boxster was shipped, I subscribed to a ship tracking website. The Porsche Track your dreams site showed the car going north over Scotland then west to Halifax. The ship tracking website (using satellite information) showed the ship sailing south through the English Channel past the Bay of Biscay then turning west at around the Azores. So no, the position is unlikely to be correct, however, I while I was tracking, it seemed to me that the TYD map is pretty close in Longitude, just nowhere near in latitude.
Yes, I will definitely be driving it around the 416 whenever I can so give me a honk if you see me haha. It is Underberg green. I had British Racing Green on my Spyder and almost did the same for my SRS but wanted something slightly more subtle but also more unique. Felt weird to go with BRG again even though it's a great colour.

Originally Posted by McClown
Sorry, should have read to the end of the thread. Was just rather excited for you @hk43
Haha thanks for the excitement! I am quite excited, too!
The following 2 users liked this post by hk43:
Ferrarisimo (03-06-2024), McClown (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 11:10 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Did you check the RL ED forum?
Appreciate the recommendation. I have now posted the question on the ED forum.

However, as this is the Spyder RS production and delivery thread and many people here are choosing ED for their SRS, I thought someone on this board might have answers.
TXshaggy (03-06-2024)

Quick Reply: The Spyder RS Production and Delivery Discussion Thread