Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dundon Sport Headers/OAPs with Valve Controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 10:53 AM
GianniG60
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
FWIW, I did land on the JCR Headers last year, and have loved them, and moved onto the lightweight racepipe with cats and silencers with the manifolds. I found the Dundon to be over the top with their manifolds in terms of noise, compliance and to me....the ability to DD comfortable. With that said, to many people my existing setup will be too loud, and sometimes my wife isn't a fan with the windows all the way up. But the Dundon I felt forced me to get something specific, or I couldn't have x or y part because of the noise (as Avera stated earlier that he needed the back box, or couldn't go with the race pipe). The JCR for me is the goldilocks, and many people will run their manifolds with other systems, and I think a couple others have Dundon headers with a JCR valved/silenced exhaust. I think @enduro has that setup, but I could be wrong. I'll tag him and have him enter the chat too.

I had nothing but great experiences with Jonny too and in chatting with him over many months deciding on different options and waiting for some coating to come into play, he was always great about responding to emails and questions, and even after the fact of being a customer when he hasn't had anything to benefit from still. Jonny is top shelf imo.
@Alpha Ice

I forgot to ask you a very important question…I’ll add it to my list, thank you in advance for your help!
1. Did you ever experience the JCR exhaust manifolds (“headers”) and link pipes (OAPs) with cats with the factory rear box? This is the set up I’m most interested in.

2. Do you have a 718 GT4 or Spyder?

3. If and when you had the JCR exhaust manifolds (“headers”) and his link pipes (“OAP”) with cats (without the rear JCR Race Pipe yet)?
Were you able to talk on the phone when driving on the freeway or around city streets?
Thank you for your input!

Old 03-27-2023, 10:56 AM
GianniG60
Instructor

Originally Posted by Avera
This all falls under the heading of 'subjective' and 'situational'

I have Dundon headers/OAPs with OEM rear box and, unlike @Alpha Ice experience, I do not find the setup too loud . . . it is VERY LOUD when you are aggressive with throttle and shift points, but I love it.

When I have the rare occasion to keep things 'tame' - such as cruising on freeway - all I have to do is throw it into PDK automatic mode and be reasonable with throttle. Under such restraint I can easily carry out a phone conversation.

Under most instances, however, I am in PDK manual mode and aggressive with shift points, and have no interest in talking on the phone.

Now that Dundon has announced availability for a rear box solution, all of this MIGHT go out the window with the complete exhaust system??? Personally, I do not care if the system is too loud to talk on the phone . . . as long as the drone is not insane.

Avera
@Avera

Hey there Avera! I was interested in @Alpha Ice ’s experience with only the JCR exhaust manifolds and catted link pipes because that’s the specific two components I’m currently looking at for my 718 Spyder. I can’t find a lot of user experience for daily driving with just that set up.
Thanks again for your input.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:11 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by GianniG60
@Avera

Hey there Avera! I was interested in @Alpha Ice ’s experience with only the JCR exhaust manifolds and catted link pipes because that’s the specific two components I’m currently looking at for my 718 Spyder. I can’t find a lot of user experience for daily driving with just that set up.
Thanks again for your input.
Understood . . . I could be very wrong, but cannot imaging anything being any louder than the Dundon components.

@Alpha Ice can chime in with his experience, but he did already confirm the Dundon components were too loud . . . suggesting the JCR components are not as loud

Avera
Old 03-27-2023, 11:26 AM
GianniG60
Instructor

Understood . . . I could be very wrong, but cannot imaging anything being any louder than the Dundon components.

@Alpha Ice can chime in with his experience, but he did already confirm the Dundon components were too loud . . . suggesting the JCR components are not as loud

Avera
@Avera
True, but @Alpha Ice has a full JCR 3 component system now and was wondering if he can report on the volume topic when he only had the JCR headers and catted link pipes.
The following users liked this post:
Avera (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 12:26 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
New Muffler inbound, designed from a power and sound standpoint... quiet with valves closed and screaming with the valves opened! Had to get it all done for the RS, and then work backwards.... Thanks for sticking with us, there's a lot more going on to build a muffler vs a pipe...
Very exciting news!! Can't wait to get my hands on one of these
Old 03-27-2023, 02:29 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
Very exciting news!! Can't wait to get my hands on one of these
'Word on the street' is Dundon will offer both Ti and inconel 321 options . . . if memory serves me, Jamie or another Dundon rep had a video out a little while back talking about how they could destroy a Ti exhaust in a single track session due to heat generated.

So, if I were to guess the Ti exhaust will be VERY expensive; sound slightly better (higher pitched/wailing tone); and not suitable/recommended for track-focused enthusiasts. . . while the inconel 321 will be less expensive; not have quite the high pitched/wailing tone; and suited for track-focused enthusiasts.

I guess time will tell what is Dundon makes available, recommended application(s) and COST. Dundon does not produce anything short of superb . . . and the COST always reflects the quality. . . unfortunately, I have a feeling the rear box solution will be outside my personal pay grade To be clear, this is by no means a knock against Dundon, rather, a reflection of my limited means.

I guess the biggest question to be answered is whether Dundon will deliver the Holy Grail solution . . . LOUD (headers/OAPs) and amazing tone (rear box) without mind-boggling drone. I have said all along, it anyone could deliver it ALL, it would be Dundon. Cannot wait to 'hear' all the feedback.

Avera
Old 03-27-2023, 02:58 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

I guess time will tell what is Dundon makes available, recommended application(s) and COST. Dundon does not produce anything short of superb . . . and the COST always reflects the quality. . . unfortunately, I have a feeling the rear box solution will be outside my personal pay grade To be clear, this is by no means a knock against Dundon, rather, a reflection of my limited means.
Avera
Maybe we should inquire about a group buy , or perhaps a "GoFundMe" page needs to be started.
Avera (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 03:22 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,535 Likes on 2,264 Posts

'Word on the street' is Dundon will offer both Ti and inconel 321 options . . . if memory serves me, Jamie or another Dundon rep had a video out a little while back talking about how they could destroy a Ti exhaust in a single track session due to heat generated.

So, if I were to guess the Ti exhaust will be VERY expensive; sound slightly better (higher pitched/wailing tone); and not suitable/recommended for track-focused enthusiasts. . . while the inconel 321 will be less expensive; not have quite the high pitched/wailing tone; and suited for track-focused enthusiasts.

I guess the biggest question to be answered is whether Dundon will deliver the Holy Grail solution . . . LOUD (headers/OAPs) and amazing tone (rear box) without mind-boggling drone. I have said all along, it anyone could deliver it ALL, it would be Dundon. Cannot wait to 'hear' all the feedback.

Avera
You’ve been asking about this for a year and now you say you can’t afford it before it even launches! I’ll be very impressed if they deliver a back box that doesn’t add resonance. These cars deserve great tone.

Last edited by UncleDude; 03-27-2023 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:08 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UncleDude
You’ve been asking about this for a year and now you say you can’t afford it before it even launches! I’ll be very impressed if they deliver a back box that doesn’t add resonance. These cars deserve great tone.
If the price I have been quoted is accurate, you will understand. . . I am not ashamed to state I am not remotely close to being independently wealthy.

So, my interest has not changed . . . and neither has my budget. Further, not that I need to tell anyone who is not living in a cave, the economic climate in this country/world is on the verge of becoming catastrophic. So, there is that to consider as well.

As far as the resonance/drone goes, there is a reason most would consider it small miracle if Dundon can deliver what nobody else has been able to deliver. . . EVERYTHING!

Time will tell, but something tells me Dundon might just deliver a small miracle ??? Do not take it personally if my enthusiasm is tempered by finances and the world’s economic stage.

Avera
UncleDude (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 04:11 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

If the price I have been quoted is accurate, you will understand. . . I am not ashamed to state I am not remotely close to being independently wealthy.

So, my interest has not changed . . . and neither has my budget. Further, not that I need to tell anyone who is not living in a cave, the economic climate in this country/world is on the verge of becoming catastrophic. So, there is that to consider as well.

As far as the resonance/drone goes, there is a reason most would consider it small miracle if Dundon can deliver what nobody else has been able to deliver. . . EVERYTHING!

Time will tell, but something tells me Dundon might just deliver a small miracle ??? Do not take it personally if my enthusiasm is tempered by finances and the world’s economic stage.

Avera
The rear Ti Muffler is on their site for $11K
Old 03-27-2023, 04:46 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
There you go . . . that is not in my financial wheel house. Not even close.

Again, not digging on Dundon. They produce amazing products. . . but you have to pay to play.

Avera
UncleDude (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 04:54 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
this is a place holder.

As far as back boxes and resonance. In general you need a chamber for the pressure wave to expand into for it to "give up" some energy in the expansion. "Drone" is the combination of resonance (frequency) and dB (energy) in the wave. Most of the parts we've seen to date for the 718 are very small volume chambers more akin to resonantors than an actual muffler...

Stay tuned...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
UncleDude (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 05:17 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Stay tuned...
I see what you did there
Avera (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 07:39 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

this is a place holder.

As far as back boxes and resonance. In general you need a chamber for the pressure wave to expand into for it to "give up" some energy in the expansion. "Drone" is the combination of resonance (frequency) and dB (energy) in the wave. Most of the parts we've seen to date for the 718 are very small volume chambers more akin to resonantors than an actual muffler...

Stay tuned...
So, what you are saying is the Dundon rear box will not be small . . . but it will be effective in scavenging resonance/drone and have a special Dundon sauce to make it wail

Avera
Old 03-27-2023, 08:33 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,535 Likes on 2,264 Posts

So, what you are saying is the Dundon rear box will not be small . . . but it will be effective in scavenging resonance/drone and have a special Dundon sauce to make it wail

Avera
The only one I can think of with a box similar in size to stock is the Akra rear unit. It is does not have an x-pipe or blend the tone AFAIK. The two I’ve had experience with (Soul and Kline) have mufflers and x-pipes in the design, Kline of course with the added resonated OAP which pretty much solves the problem. If Dundon has rear section that offers the tone of the x-pipe design and resonance fighting of the OEM and Akra I’m sure they’ll sell many even at that price. Looking forward to seeing their design, and hopefully they’ll explain it with a video.
BabyNSX (03-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Dundon Sport Headers/OAPs with Valve Controller