Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 01:51 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 549 Posts

If you want to experience a boxster with a gt3 engine shoved into it, I’m not aware of any alternatives. I think it’s kinda that simple. If you are indifferent to that combo, the car world is full of other stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Gorthaur (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 01:51 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I think the GT3 engine is the star of the attraction and given a little time the PITA roof will be #2!

In many ways it is easier and actually more practical than the current Spyder roof.
I agree. I prefer the SRS roof to the 718 Spyder roof. Seems that just using the canopy/bimini option would offer more than enough protection from all but a most extreme rainstorm. Then add the second part before going through a touchless carwash. Added benefit is that you can take the roof completely out of the car for added lightness when the weather will allow.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:56 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
If you want to experience a boxster with a gt3 engine shoved into it, I’m not aware of any alternatives. I think it’s kinda that simple. If you are indifferent to that combo, the car world is full of other stuff.
It's as simple as this for me, as well. Beggars can't be choosers. When Porsche shoves a GT3 engine into a Boxster you count your blessings and say "thank you". At MSRP, of course.
The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
DFW01TT (08-16-2023), Gorthaur (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 01:57 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 110 Posts

Does anyone know if the 120mph limit is for both the bimini alone as well as the bimini+weather sealing? Or just the weather sealing part?
Old 08-14-2023, 02:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,767 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by momo360
Does anyone know if the 120mph limit is for both the bimini alone as well as the bimini+weather sealing? Or just the weather sealing part?
I doubt it matters too much either way, the design of it does not lend to the use as speeds exceed 120 MPH.

And the weather protection portion is only buttoned in along with a couple of clips on the overhead bar, I can't imagine rolling down the side windows at maximum speed would help just blow that sucker right off the car!
Old 08-14-2023, 02:26 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
It's as simple as this for me, as well. Beggars can't be choosers. When Porsche shoves a GT3 engine into a Boxster you count your blessings and say "thank you". At MSRP, of course.
come one, admit it: it’s a day “hell froze over” moment for Porsche. Gt3 engine in a boxster. Hair dressers beware. Over time the boxster has become my fav platform of all time. Damn if Porsche would only try shoving a GT engine in it one day
Old 08-14-2023, 02:28 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
A GT3 Boxster simply combines the two Porsche brands that I love and associate with the most. RS is just a cherry on top.

Yes. No visible neighbors and at least an hour of such backroads in almost any direction. Currently, my 996 GT3 has straight exhaust pipes -- no mufflers. Forgetting the earplugs is brutal.
Ran the 2008 1Lap ~3500 miles in my 05 GT3 with no mufflers. I was younger and dumber then. What sounds glorious for a 30 min track session doesn't transition well into 650 mile transit drives.

Peter
Old 08-14-2023, 03:21 PM
GT Omologata
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Im hoping it's a delayed intro. Similar to the 992 Carrera T launch. Buckets were in the press cars, but weren't available on the Configurator initially. Curious if it's due to the factory shift to Osnabruck? Usually getting a new factory line up and running means a ramp up... 🤞🏼. I just find it odd all the other deviated stitch leather options are still available. Which gives me hope! 🤞🏼
Yep, delayed intro... that may happen, but am I the only one that consider that, simply unprofessional ?
You open the books, you must be ready.
I even asked to have deviated stitchings as CXX, from Germany answer by email was No.

Last edited by GT Omologata; 08-14-2023 at 03:23 PM.
n4v4nod (08-15-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 03:48 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by newalbanyohio
sharing an observation. I have owned many 911 RS variants. Currently have a 992 Touring and a 991 Speedster. Brilliant cars to be sure. We have also secured a SRS spot. We have other cars as well and the garage is at capacity. The 992 will go. IMO the RSR is a truly spectacular and special Porsche. There really is no comparison against any modern car even our Speedster. The cars quirks make it even more special. I love the fact that the car isn't for everyone. That means they will stay rare and desirable. For anyone to discount a Porsche because its not a 911 and only a 718 (Boxster) is truly silly. Those types of thoughts go to status seeking and ego vs an actual objective opinion. The original RS Porsches were...spyders. The 718 Spyder RS on my favorite roads in the Smokey Mountains = perfection. Bottom line 718 owners....your car isn't a 911 and love the fact that it isn't. It could be argued that a 718 is what the 911 WAS. New 911s are more like 928s. 992s are big. They feel big and look big. Add a tight mountain road and the 992 starts to feel....huge. The size and nature of a 718 SRS is pure Porsche at its very core. I am truly thrilled and grateful that Porsche is making this car.

Will add this.....Porsche will be copying Ferrari with GT cars. Ferraris are now sold as luxury items. I have many friends with Ferraris and very very few are what I would call true car guys. The nature of the new Ferrari buyer is completely different vs a new Porsche GT car buyer. VERY rarely at Ferrari events do you speak about technical aspects of your new Ferrari. Some would say this is a bad thing because Ferrari has run off the traditional enthusiast buyers. I 100% disagree. Ferrari has 1) Raised prices dramatically and made flipping almost impossible 2) Not increased overall production. 3) Created more model lines and as a result of their ability to only build 13k cars per year they are selling fewer of each. For example, we have a 296 GTS arriving very soon. Ferrari sold out of a 4 year run of GTBs and GTS within maybe 30 days of opening the books for orders. 4) Poured massive amounts of money, time and genius into creating the best cars in the world. The actual machines are off the charts, other worldly to drive. IMO, modern Ferraris are with little doubt the best cars humans have ever made. Go drive a new Ferrari 296....and compare to your GT3. You will feel like the Ferrari is from another planet. Again, I love Porsches...and did the very back to back drive I am suggesting you do. Porsche ends the VIP program next year. Expect Porsche to copy Ferrari and move their GT cars upmarket.....its a proven model. If you dislike the current Porsche GT car buying experience, get ready the game may be about to become 100x more challenging.
I've owned various Ferraris for over 30 yrs. And only just got into Porsches in the past yr. My instant reaction was: Porsches (yes, including the 4RS) do not feel "special" the way Ferraris do -- not the engine, not the sounds, not the vibes and fizz, not the dynamics (pointy front-end, rubbery rear.) All of that is missing. Otoh, Porsches feel "stout" in ways no Ferraris do. I know about early GT3 engine issues etc. But Porsches do feel properly engineered and built. With Ferraris, after every spirited drive, I check my garage floor for fluids, I fret over new squeaks and rattles. I worry about road trips lest I get stranded several hundred miles from a dealership.

So, I think it's a matter of trade-off: German engineering vs. Italian "fizz."

The following 2 users liked this post by alcc:
Manifold (08-14-2023), very green R (08-15-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 04:42 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alcc
I've owned various Ferraris for over 30 yrs. And only just got into Porsches in the past yr. My instant reaction was: Porsches (yes, including the 4RS) do not feel "special" the way Ferraris do -- not the engine, not the sounds, not the vibes and fizz, not the dynamics (pointy front-end, rubbery rear.) All of that is missing. Otoh, Porsches feel "stout" in ways no Ferraris do. I know about early GT3 engine issues etc. But Porsches do feel properly engineered and built. With Ferraris, after every spirited drive, I check my garage floor for fluids, I fret over new squeaks and rattles. I worry about road trips lest I get stranded several hundred miles from a dealership.

So, I think it's a matter of trade-off: German engineering vs. Italian "fizz."
I totally agree. I search long and hard for the few Porsche examples where they overlook a little perfection for emotion and those tend to be the Goldilocks combo in my book. And few/far between. Why I fell for a brand short on emotion and long on over-engineering I’m not quite sure. I guess because I want both. The avg Ferrari is just more fun and they are making a fairly robust car these days, but I don’t connect with the brand as well.

I’m hoping for a little fizz from the Srs and still all the over-engineering.

i like that the Porsche die-hards are complaining about an Srs being “too much”. Thr avg Ferrari enthusiast will still think it’s boring
Manifold (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 04:44 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Ran the 2008 1Lap ~3500 miles in my 05 GT3 with no mufflers. I was younger and dumber then. What sounds glorious for a 30 min track session doesn't transition well into 650 mile transit drives.

Peter
yep once upon a time for me there was no such thing as too loud, too rough or too uncomfortable. I’m soft now.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:58 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Best sound recording (and drifting) so far

Old 08-14-2023, 06:40 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Who else is annoyed by Speed Yellow pccb calipers AGES after Porsche replaced Speed Yellow with Racing Yellow? The mismatch is so annoying that one must spec black for pccb to avoid it.

Just change the darn calipers to RY, or better yet give us back Speed Yellow as base/free color!
Old 08-14-2023, 06:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,558 Likes on 2,589 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Who else is annoyed by Speed Yellow pccb calipers AGES after Porsche replaced Speed Yellow with Racing Yellow? The mismatch is so annoying that one must spec black for pccb to avoid it.

Just change the darn calipers to RY, or better yet give us back Speed Yellow as base/free color!
Speed yellow is the correct yellow. To my eyes, racing yellow is a fail, too light and banana-like.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
alcc (08-14-2023), Zeus993 (08-15-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 07:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Speed yellow is the correct yellow. To my eyes, racing yellow is a fail, too light and banana-like.
Agree. Speed Yellow >> Racing Yellow. Love SY.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread