Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 08:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,558 Likes on 2,589 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Buckets only for the SRS. Come on, no RS is a daily.

Plus they come free, and cost $10k after market. No brainer.
We all need to find out what it costs to buy the regular seats. If it's relatively inexpensive, then I'd say, yes, get the car with the buckets, and then buy the regular seats separately and use whichever seats you prefer.
The following users liked this post:
Jay Cordeiro (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 10:09 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 856 Posts

FYI for those considering sofa's and you plan to sell your SRS eventually, it will probably command a lower price point for having sofas. I've been tracking the 4RS market and the sofa 4RS's move much slower and get discounted much quicker to have to be sold. Most of the 4RS's that have traded in the 220-240k range all had sofa's. Will that translate to the SRS? Who knows but I personally would never consider buying an SRS with sofas.
Manifold (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 11:47 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
We all need to find out what it costs to buy the regular seats. If it's relatively inexpensive, then I'd say, yes, get the car with the buckets, and then buy the regular seats separately and use whichever seats you prefer.
I for sure am going to look into this esp since the sofas on configurator aren’t heated or ventilated. If they were it would be missing that plumbing and while expensive buying the buckets would be an easier swap.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:49 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
FYI for those considering sofa's and you plan to sell your SRS eventually, it will probably command a lower price point for having sofas. I've been tracking the 4RS market and the sofa 4RS's move much slower and get discounted much quicker to have to be sold. Most of the 4RS's that have traded in the 220-240k range all had sofa's. Will that translate to the SRS? Who knows but I personally would never consider buying an SRS with sofas.
appreciate the thought. SRS is a forever car for me so less of a concern.

I do wonder what the LWB take rate will be for the SRS, because the SRS is not a track focused car like the GT4RS.

I’d ask in the other forum about speedsters and their LWB order rate. It’s likely the closest comparison
Old 08-13-2023, 09:25 AM
Koizami
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

New review ,please enjoy.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:39 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,342 Posts

<cue indignant dismissal of assessment as “too loud” with attendant dismissal of the reviewer’s relevance / ability>

FWIW, he’s not wrong. But then again, neither are those of you who say it isn’t too loud. Personal preference / use case. It’s objectively loud. Whether it is “too loud” is subjective. If I snag one, I’ll likely keep a nice comfy pair of noise canceling head phones in the car for my SO for tours / trips. (Heck, not a bad idea for my current spyder) And a pair of ear plugs for me, for extended curvy road driving. Price of admission. And that’s okay. Legendary car, and all that.

Of all the press cars, I think I’m liking the GR + WP the best. Would carmine seat inserts clash?

Last edited by Adrift; 08-13-2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:52 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Koizami
Great review. Underwhelmed by the Vanadium paint. Overwhelmed by the seats' red brightness. Looks more subdued in the configurator.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Koizami
This is a thoughtful and honest review, and therefore useful. And honestly, it reduces my want for both the 4RS and SRS.

The reviewer notes that, while he greatly enjoyed the SRS on those ideal driving roads, he also can comparably enjoy other cars, like his GT3. I have a bunch of cars spanning a broad price range, and I similarly find that I can greatly enjoy just about all of them, appreciating each for what it is, on the right roads. As long as a car has balanced handling, good steering feel, good torque curve with enough power and good sounds (not too quiet nor too loud), transmission which is matched to the engine, brakes that feel strong enough and easily modulated, and good ergonomics, the car can be plenty fun to drive. Lots of cars meet all those requirements.

So where do the 4RS and SRS add distinct value? I'm still not sure. I'll drive the 4RS again to try to figure that out, but I'm unlikely to get a chance to track one before buying one. For the SRS, yes, it has that engine, but even a base Boxster is plenty fast for public roads, and while the SRS sounds good, I do worry that the loudness of the car will grow old and may damage my hearing over time.

Also, I would NEVER let rain pour into an expensive car like this! For that matter, I wouldn't even do it with an inexpensive car.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:23 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

So where do the 4RS and SRS add distinct value? I'm still not sure.
For me the review confirmed why I want the SRS. It seems to be the modern Porsche that most resembles my 996 GT3 in rawness and connection to the road, plus it combines the two Porsche brands that I love the most into one car (Boxster + GT3). I imagine it as if my 996 GT3 and my Boxster had a child. Just like my 6gt3, the SRS is not meant to be a comfy daily driver or a long trip car. It's best used as a 30-60min sweaty-palms attack on all your senses after which you need some rest as your adrenaline goes back to normal -- and for that it approaches perfection, missing only the manual.

This is why I also strongly support ordering the LWBS with every SRS unless it's a big mismatch for health or body size reasons.

Last edited by hf1; 08-13-2023 at 11:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hf1:
cooler2442 (08-13-2023), Patrick3000 (08-14-2023), vcp13 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 11:42 AM
Koizami
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
<cue indignant dismissal of assessment as “too loud” with attendant dismissal of the reviewer’s relevance / ability>

FWIW, he’s not wrong. But then again, neither are those of you who say it isn’t too loud. Personal preference / use case. It’s objectively loud. Whether it is “too loud” is subjective. If I snag one, I’ll likely keep a nice comfy pair of noise canceling head phones in the car for my SO for tours / trips. (Heck, not a bad idea for my current spyder) And a pair of ear plugs for me, for extended curvy road driving. Price of admission. And that’s okay. Legendary car, and all that.

Of all the press cars, I think I’m liking the GR + WP the best. Would carmine seat inserts clash?
I'm thinking Guards Red +WP (Carmine Red would be perfect but not available) with a red interior too. I'm not sure if there's too much red going on.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
For me the review confirmed why I want the SRS. It seems to be the modern Porsche that most resembles my 996 GT3 in rawness and connection to the road, plus it combines the two Porsche brands that I love the most into one car (Boxster + GT3). I imagine it as if my 996 GT3 and my Boxster had a child. Just like my 6gt3, the SRS is not meant to be a comfy daily driver or a long trip car. It's best used as a 30-60min sweaty-palms attack on all your senses after which you need some rest as your adrenaline goes back to normal -- and for that it approaches perfection, missing only the manual.

This is why I also strongly support ordering the LWBS with every SRS unless it's a big mismatch for health or body size reasons.
So do you add the SRS and keep your 996 GT3 and Boxster?
Old 08-13-2023, 11:56 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

So do you add the SRS and keep your 996 GT3 and Boxster?
Good question. The current combo already satisfies my Porsche needs extremely well. Garage space may require that I let the Boxster go but I'll worry about it when/if it comes to it. Maybe few comparo drives on my backroads will decide which one (if any) will have to go. If SRS gives me what I get from my 6gt3, the 6gt3 may be the one to go, but I doubt it -- many cars have been such pretenders but no cigar so far. Hard to predict now. And this is all assuming I can get a SRS at MSRP. The fact that I'm already a happy camper makes me more determined to be adamant about no ADM. Great position to be in.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Good question. The current combo already satisfies my Porsche needs extremely well. Garage space may require that I let the Boxster go but I'll worry about it when/if it comes to it. Maybe few comparo drives on my backroads will decide which one (if any) will have to go. If SRS gives me what I get from my 6gt3, the 6gt3 may be the one to go, but I doubt it -- many cars have been such pretenders but no cigar so far. Hard to predict now. And this is all assuming I can get a SRS at MSRP. The fact that I'm already a happy camper makes me more determined to be adamant about no ADM. Great position to be in.
I'd be very reluctant to let a 996 GT3 go. Nothing else will give you that experience, and unlike the SRS, it's a manual. Letting the Boxster would be easier, but then SRS is still not manual and sits at a much higher price point and the top is much harder to deal with.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:12 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I'd be very reluctant to let a 996 GT3 go. Nothing else will give you that experience, and unlike the SRS, it's a manual. Letting the Boxster would be easier, but then SRS is still not manual and sits at a much higher price point and the top is much harder to deal with.
Yes, I don't imagine ever letting the 6gt3 go. It's pristine, 18k miles, with euro Clubsport package (euro GT3 Buckets + half roll cage), and Moton dampers. It drives like an air-cooled restored hot rod except made by Porsche. Nothing else compares on the market today at any price. The Boxster too is so undervalued that it's almost free in financial terms. Both the 6gt3 and the Boxster are worth MUCH more to me than their current market values. The only reason for letting either go would be garage space but there are alternative solutions for that.
Patrick3000 (08-14-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 12:26 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 547 Likes on 246 Posts

I love the color, it gives this classic retro style the car has mixed with the motorsport parts. My 718 Spyder is GT Silver and I love how it shows the curves.

Disclaimer: I love bold colors, my 992 GT3 is shark blue and my wife’s MacanGTS Miami blue, but in this retro style car I love this classic metallic colors that show the bumps so well
Manifold (08-13-2023)

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread