Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 04:37 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
11:50ish

Talking about the SRS

A very cryptic comment from a guy who has signed a Porsche NDA: “There’s more to come. This is just the beginning.”

https://youtu.be/-F3Uwnyfwh0

I’m going with MT coming online for later allocations. Boom. You heard it here first. (What else would it be?) They also comment on how Porsche is good at keeping development plans secret. And by setting the softer spring rates and talking about it, they are already pitching it as a not (just) for track variant. (That last bit is my spin)

Makes you go “hmmmm”. Could be Style Edition, I guess. Or SRS Dakar!
I live in a damn boring desert far away,
pleease order that useless Spyder Dakar
possibly with huge adm
so Porsche will notice your interest to make some money

and i can get my Spyder Dune Buggy edition to be happy in my desert thinking of you morons
driving it in the traffic jams passing time
complaining about the complicated roof

Last edited by fxz; 05-21-2023 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:45 AM
Goofnik
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

Went over the PCA Insider a few times, after not watching it from being tied up with work. Honestly I think it really just refers to other special things like the 911 ST at Rennsport Reunion in September and beyond. 992 in general has quite a bit more to come, and they're liable to do things prior to the refresh. Not to mention we know a 911 Hybrid is coming sometime during the 992 platform, whether pre- or post-refresh. Heck, there's already aftermarket 911 hybrids.

If for some reason there's a manual GT4 RS or Spyder RS, at least for most of the US Spyder RS camp, allocations may not have been built prior to announce, so it'll just be a big crush for people to switch.

Or maybe there'll be a 718 R hybrid like the 911 GT3 R with the Williams KERS system! The entire passenger seat will be replaced with a 40,000 rpm flywheel of doom for maximum driving excitement!
Old 05-21-2023, 09:55 AM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 547 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast

You are mistaken if you think I don't feel the RS versions are worthy or different, but let's be honest, to be appreciated they have to be driven way closer to the limits!
I drove my GT3 yesterday and only reach 8/9k rpms one time in 40 miles, mostly drive was between 3.5k/6k rpm (city//highway) and I would love to agree with you but my spyder cannot match at all this engine, the sharper pedal, the sound, the vibration, the power, it is a different experience.
At the same time the spyder has the most beautiful lines, no roof driving experience with a great NA engine sounding really good, so it is the better city/back roads car experience,
Both are manuals so same great experience (GT3 has the right gear ratios). I would love a 718 Spyder like I have with a GT3 engine, no need the intakes, fender vents etc, just only GT3 engine plus the MT with the GT3 gear ratios, this will be my keeper.
The following users liked this post:
vcp13 (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 10:26 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Goofnik
Went over the PCA Insider a few times, after not watching it from being tied up with work. Honestly I think it really just refers to other special things like the 911 ST at Rennsport Reunion in September and beyond. 992 in general has quite a bit more to come, and they're liable to do things prior to the refresh. Not to mention we know a 911 Hybrid is coming sometime during the 992 platform, whether pre- or post-refresh. Heck, there's already aftermarket 911 hybrids.

If for some reason there's a manual GT4 RS or Spyder RS, at least for most of the US Spyder RS camp, allocations may not have been built prior to announce, so it'll just be a big crush for people to switch.

Or maybe there'll be a 718 R hybrid like the 911 GT3 R with the Williams KERS system! The entire passenger seat will be replaced with a 40,000 rpm flywheel of doom for maximum driving excitement!
I would tend to agree with you, but this comment is tied in with NDA comments, when they’re still talking about the SRS, for the most part.

Who knows. Time will tell.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:49 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,766 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_76
I drove my GT3 yesterday and only reach 8/9k rpms one time in 40 miles, mostly drive was between 3.5k/6k rpm (city//highway) and I would love to agree with you but my spyder cannot match at all this engine, the sharper pedal, the sound, the vibration, the power, it is a different experience.
At the same time the spyder has the most beautiful lines, no roof driving experience with a great NA engine sounding really good, so it is the better city/back roads car experience,
Both are manuals so same great experience (GT3 has the right gear ratios). I would love a 718 Spyder like I have with a GT3 engine, no need the intakes, fender vents etc, just only GT3 engine plus the MT with the GT3 gear ratios, this will be my keeper.
Thanks for the feedback Bill, please remember I never said that the GT3 engine wasn't incredible but again after spending hours in a GT4 RS recently and almost always below 4000 RPM, there was no feeling of excess power or sound,

Perhaps your GT3 is set up different than the GT4 RS, gas pedal feel for example is set by software, it has been talked about before how this is done to make it feel like the engine has sharper response, again I know that the GT3 engine is a different beast. There is no argument that a more powerful engine and shorter gears make a difference, just not putting around town.

My point is that the non-RS GT cars give very little away and do more than hold their own, until such time that the attributes of the GT3 engine can be exploited along with the much shorter gearing of the PDK, before that they are close.
CAlexio (05-24-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 12:13 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,131 Likes on 557 Posts

Okay....I will come out and say it. I do not feel the Spyder RS should exist. Is has no real purpose. The GT4 RS is what this car is all about. And, it should be PDK only and LWB seat only. The base GT4 should be configurable any which way. The Spyder should be just the base car, and manual only for how it was really meant to be driven, with differing seat options.

Glad I got that off my chest !!
Old 05-21-2023, 12:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Okay....I will come out and say it. I do not feel the Spyder RS should exist. Is has no real purpose. The GT4 RS is what this car is all about. And, it should be PDK only and LWB seat only. The base GT4 should be configurable any which way. The Spyder should be just the base car, and manual only for how it was really meant to be driven, with differing seat options.

Glad I got that off my chest !!
That is exactly right, yet Porsche made the SRS and it will sell - because of hype, collectibility, novelty, C&C status, etc. Heck, I might even buy one!
Old 05-21-2023, 01:04 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,486 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Okay....I will come out and say it. I do not feel the Spyder RS should exist. Is has no real purpose. The GT4 RS is what this car is all about. And, it should be PDK only and LWB seat only.
I agree with you but PAG is a business so it was very easy to do a SRS and sell every single one of them
Old 05-21-2023, 01:11 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I agree with you but PAG is a business so it was very easy to do a SRS and sell every single one of them
As a business, wouldn't it have been better to use that capacity to make X more GT4RS without having the overhead of creating a new model? They would sell the same number of cars.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:13 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,486 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by skafia
As a business, wouldn't it have been better to use that capacity to make X more GT4RS without having the overhead of creating a new model? They would sell the same number of cars.
Yes...but on the other hand with the SRS they attract a slightly different target market plus they start all over again the Marketing/PR machine of a new model for which most of the R&D was already done.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skafia
I think there's only moderate overlap in the 4RS and SRS market. Significant percentage of 4RS will be tracked at least occasionally, probably a negligible percentage of SRS will be tracked. But SRS will probably be driven on the road on nice days much more often than 4RS - nothing beats an open top car for that use.

Last edited by Manifold; 05-21-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Westcoast (05-22-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 01:23 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 236 Posts

Last comment and then I am out
this thread is insane

take a look at the weight of the SRS without roof vs other gt cars including 911r
drive a gt3 with itb
now you understand
and if u don’t you are impressively stubborn

peace
SpidyGonzo (05-22-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 01:26 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,131 Likes on 557 Posts

[QUOTE=Manifold;18814978]I think there's only moderate overlap in the 4RS and SRS market. Significant percentage of 4RS will be tracked at least occasionally, probably a negligible percentage of SRS will be tracked. But SRS will probably will probably be driven on the road on nice days much more often than 4RS - nothing beats an open top car for that use.[/QUOTE]

Yes. But then why not a manual only for spirited road driving where engagement and not superior lap times are the primary intent. And then when you are out on your 100 mile mountain trek, and the skies suddenly opened up, your alcantara covered Weissach dash will get drenched as you struggle to get the top up. The car works for people who live in Arid climates with little chance of rain for the likely duration of a drive. Other than that it is collector Garage Art. That's fine, but let's call it like it is. This car is about the theoretical of what can be built rather than an actual target driving enthusiast market.

Right now there are only 2 cars that would potentially consider as a Spyder replacement, and those would be a Huracan Spyder or GT3 Touring.

Last edited by VVG; 05-21-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Pcar81 (05-31-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 01:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
Yes. But then why not a manual only for spirited road driving where engagement and not superior lap times are the primary intent. And then when you are out on your 100 mile mountain trek, and the skies suddenly opened up, your alcantara covered Weissach dash will get drenched as you struggle to get the top up. The car works for people who live in the southwest with little chance of rain for the likely duration of a drive. Other than that it is collector Garage Art. That's fine, but let's call it like it is. This car is about the theoretical of what can be built rather than an actual target driving enthusiast market.
I generally agree, but, for example, I have decent driving roads in my non-mountainous area and can go for nice drives of one or a few hours with 0% chance of rain.

Agree that the car needs to be offered with manual, but then calling it RS would be strange. To me, RS means track-focused car with PDK, stiffer suspension, serious aero, hard top - in other words, 4RS!
Old 05-21-2023, 01:40 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Does the GR4RS….and the Spyder RS come with ITB?

I know the engine power is slightly down compared to a 991.2 GT3 (which didn’t have ITB) while ITB were included with the final batch of 991.2 RS and all of the 992 GT3 and RS models.

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread