Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Gentian Blue Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 10:18 AM
Buckett76
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
I inquired about the price Of ceramic coating at a local detail shop. They quoted $1400, with annual refreshing/reapplication of the “sacrificial layer” at $200.
WTF !
Paint correction was included. But the price and annual maintenance seems outrageous.
With Paint correction this price doesn't seem high based on having a few of my cars done in the past. I don't think you need the annual touch up though, just use a good spray on product post wash occasionally (something like Carpro Reload). That said I'm debating bothering on my Spyder, more and more of the DIY products are adding ceramic type content to waxes and sealants which should make them last longer and provide good gloss levels. The only real benefit I've valued from ceramic is the ease of washing with a simple spray wash, but you can get that from a good DIY product applied annually and even with Ceramic coatings you will want to hand wash the car once or twice a year anyway as you will eventually have a thin dirt film that needs a some manual effort (still super easy to clean though). Given the size of the 718 hand washing is easy to do so my current GTS is the only car I have that I didn't ceramic and just use DIY products. I do like to invest the time to do a proper wash and sealant once a year though and doing it correctly shouldn't create any meaningful swirls but YMMV.

Definitely worth doing on larger cars that see daily use as they get dirty all the time and a quick spray and go keeps them looking clean most of the year.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:23 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 441 Posts

Ceramic coating is not at all difficult to apply, you only need a closed garage so the car does not get wet for a couple of days. I'd get the paint correction and PPF then do the ceramic coating myself and save some dough (which is exactly what I will do when I get mine).

Also you should check out HD Nitro Seal (https://www.3dproducts.com/product/kit-hd-nitro-seal/), great ceramic coat.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:39 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Ceramic coating is not at all difficult to apply, you only need a closed garage so the car does not get wet for a couple of days. I'd get the paint correction and PPF then do the ceramic coating myself and save some dough (which is exactly what I will do when I get mine).

Also you should check out HD Nitro Seal (https://www.3dproducts.com/product/kit-hd-nitro-seal/), great ceramic coat.
That link brought me to some crazy website and my anti-virus popped an alert as it treated a virus. Fair warning...
Old 09-10-2020, 12:50 PM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

I inquired about the price Of ceramic coating at a local detail shop. They quoted $1400, with annual refreshing/reapplication of the “sacrificial layer” at $200.
WTF !
Paint correction was included. But the price and annual maintenance seems outrageous.
That's not at all unreasonable considering the time that goes into the prep/paint correction. As mentioned, there are a lot of great consumer coatings out there that are quite easily applied and perform very well over the long haul. Additionally, lotsa great vids on YouTube that go over the process. Although this one is Gyeon Mohs-centric, it's a good overview of the process:

I tried around 25 different coatings to find one that worked best for me (Kamikaze) but in all that time/testing, really never used a 'bad' product; some did 'this' a little better, some did 'that' a little better but all were effective. While I don't think there is a single BEST coating that meets all needs for all people in all situations, there is likely a 'best' for you. Notes on that whole escapade here if'n ya like a little light reading: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/gl...amic-coatings/

It's a very subjective topic so YMMV.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 09-10-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:08 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
That's not at all unreasonable considering the time that goes into the prep/paint correction. As mentioned, there are a lot of great consumer coatings out there that are quite easily applied and perform very well over the long haul. Additionally, lotsa great vids on YouTube that go over the process. Although this one is Gyeon Mohs-centric, it's a good overview of the process:
https://youtu.be/B6F6MWnxnIU

I tried around 25 different coatings to find one that worked best for me (Kamikaze) but in all that time/testing, really never used a 'bad' product; some did 'this' a little better, some did 'that' a little better but all were effective. While I don't think there is a single BEST coating that meets all needs for all people in all situations, there is likely a 'best' for you. Notes on that whole escapade here if'n ya like a little light reading: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/gl...amic-coatings/

It's a very subjective topic so YMMV.
Thanks for the links. After skimming through most of it, I concluded: I'm not worthy. Maybe I should strictly stick to silver cars from now on, lol...
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 03:46 PM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Originally Posted by hf1
Thanks for the links. After skimming through most of it, I concluded: I'm not worthy. Maybe I should strictly stick to silver cars from now on, lol...
:lol: After years of black cars, I finally found the secret to keeping an easy to maintain car, one that nearly always looks good even after 150 miles of freeway driving in thunderstorms: Agate Grey Metallic paint, the color of our Cayman. Coat it within an inch of it's life and then just enjoy the shine while driving the snot out of it.

First saw Gentian Blue on a 992 last Spring and immediately thought "That's the color of the next car, it's BEAUTIFUL!!" Then I remembered my overall laziness and said "Agate Grey will do just fine."

Know thyself...
Old 09-10-2020, 08:18 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 675 Likes on 351 Posts

:lol: After years of black cars, I finally found the secret to keeping an easy to maintain car, one that nearly always looks good even after 150 miles of freeway driving in thunderstorms: Agate Grey Metallic paint, the color of our Cayman. Coat it within an inch of it's life and then just enjoy the shine while driving the snot out of it.

First saw Gentian Blue on a 992 last Spring and immediately thought "That's the color of the next car, it's BEAUTIFUL!!" Then I remembered my overall laziness and said "Agate Grey will do just fine."

Know thyself...
My previous 981 CGTS was Agate Grey, my current 718 GT4 is Gentian Blue. Both are great colors on the Cayman
BudgetPlan1 (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 11:05 AM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
My previous 981 CGTS was Agate Grey, my current 718 GT4 is Gentian Blue. Both are great colors on the Cayman
That blue though; May just make me go against common sense if upgrading to GTS 4.0. Who wouldn't wanna look at this in the garage...you chose wisely!

The following 6 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
-Methanol- (09-11-2020), AlexCeres (09-11-2020), Manoverpdk (09-12-2020), masti99 (09-12-2020), Pokerhobo (09-11-2020), TYPE911 (09-11-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-12-2020, 11:35 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Is my 11 yr old Battery Tender plus compatible with the 718 Spyder?
Old 09-12-2020, 12:05 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

That blue though; May just make me go against common sense if upgrading to GTS 4.0. Who wouldn't wanna look at this in the garage...you chose wisely!

Damn that is gorgeous.

i know too many people getting GB so I switched to Chalk.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,768 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Damn that is gorgeous.

i know too many people getting GB so I switched to Chalk.
Yes that is a beautiful GB car... funny I did the same colour change to Chalk.
2XIPA (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 01:31 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Is my 11 yr old Battery Tender plus compatible with the 718 Spyder?
I would reccomend that you check the manual that came with it to ensure it works with AGM batteries or call the manufacturer to confirm...

I use CTEK, IMHO the best choice and even Porsche seems to agree...
Old 09-12-2020, 02:09 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I would reccomend that you check the manual that came with it to ensure it works with AGM batteries or call the manufacturer to confirm...

I use CTEK, IMHO the best choice and even Porsche seems to agree...
The same Battery Tender plus worked well on my 997.2.
Don’t have the Manual’s any more.
“AGM batteries” ?
Old 09-12-2020, 02:12 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The same Battery Tender plus worked well on my 997.2.
Don’t have the Manual’s any more.
“AGM batteries” ?
You can check for the manual online at the manufacturers website for the specific model of Battery Tender you have.

AGM: Absorbed Glass Mat, is what the latest type of battery that Porsche's come with from the factory, I believe that your 997.2 did as well.

For best results charging a AGM battery the applied voltage is a bit higher then standard lead-acid. Lithium Ion is another whole different beast, and requires a compatible charger as well.

Last edited by Westcoast; 09-12-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

The online manual of a similar model says “designed for 6 cell lead acid batteries”.
I didn’t see any other battery recommendations.
https://www.batterytender.com/core/m...d7bfbb84452c3a

Quick Reply: The Official Gentian Blue Color Thread