Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 01:04 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
992 is a boat.
Hey Cap, here’s your coffee:

Old 07-10-2020, 02:07 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Tough decision. On one hand, the Spyder’s better looks, GT3 suspension, beefier tires/brakes, more freebie trim options and smaller depreciation make the $8400 diff a bargain. On another hand, the Boxster GTS 4.0’s power roof, lighter/smaller brakes, lighter/narrower wheels, and suspension make it more optimal for backroads. One with pccb and lwbs comes the closest to the lightweight roadster ethos.

If only the 718 Spyder wasn’t the best looking modern Porsche in decades. And Python Green is now available for the Spyder too.
It is a dilemma.
I was torn between a Cayman GTS 4.0 and a GT4. With what I wanted, the GT4 was about $10k more.
I figured if I was spending over $100k on a Cayman it better be a GT4!!

On the other hand, I would pick the Boxster GTS 4.0 over a Spyder every time.
I guess that's why they make sixty or so variants?
Old 07-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
It is a dilemma. On the other hand, I would pick the Boxster GTS 4.0 over a Spyder every time.
Dr. Bill, what is your reasoning? I am in the queue for both and will eventually need to make a decision, I need your clarity...
Old 07-11-2020, 02:57 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

When are the first cars scheduled to show up in any case? It'd be great to get a look (and maybe even a drive) at one at the dealer this fall before ordering.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
When are the first cars scheduled to show up in any case? It'd be great to get a look (and maybe even a drive) at one at the dealer this fall before ordering.
looks like December for USA and January for Canada.
At least that’s what the dealers have told those of us who have ordered.

Pretty crappy time for a test drive where I’m from.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:38 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Lol... Actually enjoying the process. Have deposits on both and wouldn’t need one until next Spring anyway. And not exactly suffering with my 987 Boxster S either. Maybe this “process” is just my subconscious telling me that what I already have may be better than both modern alternatives.
between Spyder n GTS4.0, the more expensive Spyder obviously has a superior spec but based on your “I must be able to put the roof up and down quickly”, the GTS4.0 is the one that fits your application,.. the extra Spyder bits are awesome but who cares if your interior suffers water damage coz u can’t lift the roof quickly enough.

otherwise, just keep the 987S for days with ambiguous weather and have the Spyder for fair weather conditions
Old 07-11-2020, 11:24 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by DR1VEN
between Spyder n GTS4.0, the more expensive Spyder obviously has a superior spec but based on your “I must be able to put the roof up and down quickly”, the GTS4.0 is the one that fits your application,.. the extra Spyder bits are awesome but who cares if your interior suffers water damage coz u can’t lift the roof quickly enough.

otherwise, just keep the 987S for days with ambiguous weather and have the Spyder for fair weather conditions
Yes, it’s the well known problem of “not having built that car barn yet”. Already storing away two cars — a third one would be an abomination.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:51 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes, it’s the well known problem of “not having built that car barn yet”. Already storing away two cars — a third one would be an abomination.
hang on... just noticed you have a 996 GT3... surely coupling that with the Spyder should cover your bases?

I actually find the Spyder to be a perfect car in a multi-car garage. Yes, it is a little less practical than a coupe or auto roof vert but if one is willing to compromise or has an alternate car to use for those circumstances, a top down manual Spyder on a crisp morning through some tight twisters is very hard to beat. Coupled with a track focussed coupe like a GT3 and almost all bases are covered.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:11 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts

hang on... just noticed you have a 996 GT3... surely coupling that with the Spyder should cover your bases?

I actually find the Spyder to be a perfect car in a multi-car garage. Yes, it is a little less practical than a coupe or auto roof vert but if one is willing to compromise or has an alternate car to use for those circumstances, a top down manual Spyder on a crisp morning through some tight twisters is very hard to beat. Coupled with a track focussed coupe like a GT3 and almost all bases are covered.
That would do it...
Old 07-16-2020, 07:39 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

The GTS 4.0 would better complement the raw 996 GT3. Daily good wine + weekly stiff single malt. Neither would be tracked as I have a race car for that. My 987 Boxster S’s (this is my second one) have been the most driven strictly fun/backroads cars I’ve owned. While a car like that typically gets 1-2k miles/yr, the Boxster clocks close to 5k miles/yr of pure backroads fun. Without the auto-top, that would likely be cut to less than half and bring it down to 6gt3 level.

Again, if only the Spyder wasn’t so darn gorgeous, now also offered in Python Green...
Old 07-16-2020, 09:24 AM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
The GTS 4.0 would better complement the raw 996 GT3. Daily good wine + weekly stiff single malt. Neither would be tracked as I have a race car for that. My 987 Boxster S’s (this is my second one) have been the most driven strictly fun/backroads cars I’ve owned. While a car like that typically gets 1-2k miles/yr, the Boxster clocks close to 5k miles/yr of pure backroads fun. Without the auto-top, that would likely be cut to less than half and bring it down to 6gt3 level.

Again, if only the Spyder wasn’t so darn gorgeous, now also offered in Python Green...
I'll never understand the auto top thing... I guess everyone uses their cars differently, but the thought of being concerned about occasionally having to open or close the roof is asinine to me. It's one thing if it's a DD, but for a fun car, it's just never bothered me in the slightest...
Old 07-16-2020, 09:41 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
I'll never understand the auto top thing... I guess everyone uses their cars differently, but the thought of being concerned about occasionally having to open or close the roof is asinine to me. It's one thing if it's a DD, but for a fun car, it's just never bothered me in the slightest...
I open/close the auto-top on my “just for fun” Boxster on average at least 2x per run (closer to 3x) even on a perfect sunny day. Gravel road, coffee stop, lunch, tennis parking, gym parking, swimming pool parking, grocery stop, errand, highway stretch, road construction, dirty truck, summer sprinkle, you name it. I make a mental note about how great it is to have it (instead of having to stop, park, and dance around the car) every time I use it. But I also put 5k miles/yr on backroads with my fun cars and that’s with Winters (5 months) off. Since I’d probably have the LWBS, the bolsters would get worn that much faster if I have to get out of the car just to open/close the top. Different perspectives...

Even though Porsche FINALLY put the top 4.0 engine in an auto-top Boxster it still bugs me that they have to neuter its HP and suspension just to keep the manual top Spyder on top. Why not just make the same car with both auto and manual top?

Last edited by hf1; 07-16-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:06 PM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I open/close the auto-top on my “just for fun” Boxster on average at least 2x per run (closer to 3x) even on a perfect sunny day. Gravel road, coffee stop, lunch, tennis parking, gym parking, swimming pool parking, grocery stop, errand, highway stretch, road construction, dirty truck, summer sprinkle, you name it. I make a mental note about how great it is to have it (instead of having to stop, park, and dance around the car) every time I use it. But I also put 5k miles/yr on backroads with my fun cars and that’s with Winters (5 months) off. Since I’d probably have the LWBS, the bolsters would get worn that much faster if I have to get out of the car just to open/close the top. Different perspectives...

Even though Porsche FINALLY put the top 4.0 engine in an auto-top Boxster it still bugs me that they have to neuter its HP and suspension just to keep the manual top Spyder on top. Why not just make the same car with both auto and manual top?
Spyder body with an auto top would've been perfect for me. I would be willing to go on a diet and loose the 20 lbs to keep it weight neutral.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,768 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
Spyder body with an auto top would've been perfect for me. I would be willing to go on a diet and loose the 20 lbs to keep it weight neutral.
IMHO there is always a top model in the line and it gets the goodies, nothing at all wrong with the GTS 4.0 but Porsche wanted to make a distinction between them or why bother with building either the GT4 or Spyder?
Old 07-16-2020, 02:33 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
IMHO there is always a top model in the line and it gets the goodies, nothing at all wrong with the GTS 4.0 but Porsche wanted to make a distinction between them or why bother with building either the GT4 or Spyder?
Sure, but why must the top model only come with a manual top? Just as it comes with manual or PDK, sofas or lwbs, irons or pccb, it could also come with a manual or auto top. They can even keep the humps and wings exclusive to the manual top if it’s too difficult to automate them — just keep the rest of the car and options the same.

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0