Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 12:43 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,292 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester7
You sir, have hit the nail on the head. A recession is a great time to pick up bargains.
Sure, as long as you adjust your portfolio beforehand, easier said than done.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:04 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank237
The new 6 cylinder Cayman would be epic. I absolutely love my BASE 718!

MORE would be almost unimaginable.
Already imagined, and brought into reality:

Old 01-18-2020, 06:09 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Posted this in another thread, meant to post it here...

I’ll be ordering the 4.0 Boxster GTS. It’s the auto-top Spyder I’ve been begging Porsche to make for two years. So glad they listened. And I prefer the clean look of the non-Spyder Boxster body. The humps add bulk in the rear and are all form and no function. Not going to start about the manual top dance...

The 4.0 Boxster checks all the boxes as the perfect backroads carver for me — NA, manual, 4.0, auto-top, heated seats, comes in awesome python green as regular option — and it seems that there will be nothing made going forward that comes even close as it all goes turbo, hybrid, or electric. It should be a keeper.
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (01-19-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:34 PM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

It's certainly an interesting development, the release of the GTS 4.0 and one which piques my interest as a car that would be more appropriate for my needs and wants than a GT4.

Being relatively new to the World of Porsche I have no extensive history w any particular dealer so I'm kinda the typical 'walk in off the street' potential buyer. I did just that in August of 2019 at our local Porsche Dealer and walked (drove) out a day later with a 12k mile, CPO thru May 2022, Agate Gray 2016 Cayman S.

Was able to put about 5000 miles on it before putting it up for the Winter and it was incredibly transformational experience as far as driving enjoyment, comfort and satisfaction go.

My 'hobby' cars have always been more focused on 1/4 mile times, Max HP/TQ numbers and brute power; after a few Mustangs and Corvettes over the years, was always never completely satisfied and usually got rid of them within a year or 2...bored eventually, only so many places you can use brute force in your daily travels. Tried a Subaru WRX for 18 months, was really fun until it wasn't...too primitive and unrefined. Wife has a 2019 Corvette that we bought new in Spring 2019 and usually I far prefer the Cayman...Corvette feels big and ponderous and while 465hp is fun on freeway on-ramps, pretty much un-engaging everywhere else. And the interior is cramped and somewhat uncomfortable...no way I can be in that thing for any longer than 3hrs. When I take the Corvette to work, it's fun for about 5% of the commute, take the Cayman and it's fun for about 95% of the trip. Although the trip home in the Cayman ends up taking about 3 times longer cuz I usually end up kinda 'wandering' home as it's just such an engaging experience.

So, enter the 981 Cayman S. With the 14-way seats and interior roominess we have taken 10-12hr trips in it and come away with no discomfort whatsoever, which really amazes me as I'm 6' 2" tall and my wife has back issues and the Cayman S has eliminated any comfort concerns related to those circumstances. Additionally, the Agate Gray paint stays very clean and looking good which is important to me as well. I dont really like turbos for some reason I can't explain but it is what it is and with the PDK I really enjoy the more 'peaky' character of the NA6...it's just fun 99% of the time in my usage. I wont spend much time, if any, on a track so daily entertainment with some comfort and refinement is what I seek.

With the announcement of the GTS 4.0, it'll give me the the chance to build MY perfect car. Before they announced it I was targeting a new GT4 (if they put a PDK in it at some point) and while it would be really cool, for my needs it would likely have some drawbacks as a daily driver; scraping, rougher ride, comfort, limited color choices. A GT4 would be a car I went after with my heart, but a GTS 4.0 would be a car bought with my head. And who knows if I'd ever even get the chance to ****** a GT4 allocation.

I probably have one more 'fun car' purchase in me and if I can build my own personal Cayman GTS 4.0 w options I KNOW work for me (Agate Gray cuz I like clean cars but hate cleaning them, PDK, 14-way Seats as I KNOW they're comfortable for us, keyless entry 'cuz I'm lazy, backup camera cuz I suck at parking, etc.) it would be a better result than taking a chance that a GT4 *might* work for my less-than-all-out needs. If a fun car becomes a PITA for any reason, it's not so fun anymore.

A spec'd out Cayman GTS 4.0 for me would likely approach a lesser equipped GT4 money...and I'm OK with that because it would be a better fit for me than a GT4. It's really not about money, depreciation or other such practical considerations...it's about getting my perfect car. I'm in no hurry, the 981 is a great car I wanna spend another year or 2 with.

Hopefully Porsche makes enough of the GTS 4.0 avaliable to us common folks without too much trouble. Driving the 981 has realigned what I thought I wanted in a fun car, I'd really like a chance to tailor the perfect one for me.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 01-18-2020 at 06:49 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
#628 RS60 Spyder (01-19-2020), 4nroots (01-19-2020), fantom (01-20-2020), Surge74 (02-01-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

^Agate looks great with aurum wheels in those pics.
The following 2 users liked this post by hf1:
ArabicaMan (01-19-2020), BudgetPlan1 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 02:29 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

What do you all think this 4.0 GTS will do to the 981 S and GTS values?
Old 01-19-2020, 05:37 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
aligned
Old 01-19-2020, 05:42 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

That nice porsche green and no green stitching,...
attention to the details missing
Old 01-19-2020, 06:19 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
aligned
Sorry?
Old 01-19-2020, 08:13 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,292 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
aligned
no
Old 01-19-2020, 08:38 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Very little. It's still way, way ahead of used 981 prices. 50 percent on top of an old GTS and closer to double of a 981S. Not available very soon either, and only manual at least initially.

It's not like Porsche is flooding the market with cheap mid engined NA cars.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (01-21-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 09:27 AM
SK991.2
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 119 Posts

[QUOTE=BudgetPlan1;16362701]It's certainly an interesting development, the release of the GTS 4.0 and one which piques my interest as a car that would be more appropriate for my needs and wants than a GT4.

Being relatively new to the World of Porsche I have no extensive history w any particular dealer so I'm kinda the typical 'walk in off the street' potential buyer. I did just that in August of 2019 at our local Porsche Dealer and walked (drove) out a day later with a 12k mile, CPO thru May 2022, Agate Gray 2016 Cayman S.

Was able to put about 5000 miles on it before putting it up for the Winter and it was incredibly transformational experience as far as driving enjoyment, comfort and satisfaction go.

My 'hobby' cars have always been more focused on 1/4 mile times, Max HP/TQ numbers and brute power; after a few Mustangs and Corvettes over the years, was always never completely satisfied and usually got rid of them within a year or 2...bored eventually, only so many places you can use brute force in your daily travels. Tried a Subaru WRX for 18 months, was really fun until it wasn't...too primitive and unrefined. Wife has a 2019 Corvette that we bought new in Spring 2019 and usually I far prefer the Cayman...Corvette feels big and ponderous and while 465hp is fun on freeway on-ramps, pretty much un-engaging everywhere else. And the interior is cramped and somewhat uncomfortable...no way I can be in that thing for any longer than 3hrs. When I take the Corvette to work, it's fun for about 5% of the commute, take the Cayman and it's fun for about 95% of the trip. Although the trip home in the Cayman ends up taking about 3 times longer cuz I usually end up kinda 'wandering' home as it's just such an engaging experience.

So, enter the 981 Cayman S. With the 14-way seats and interior roominess we have taken 10-12hr trips in it and come away with no discomfort whatsoever, which really amazes me as I'm 6' 2" tall and my wife has back issues and the Cayman S has eliminated any comfort concerns related to those circumstances. Additionally, the Agate Gray paint stays very clean and looking good which is important to me as well. I dont really like turbos for some reason I can't explain but it is what it is and with the PDK I really enjoy the more 'peaky' character of the NA6...it's just fun 99% of the time in my usage. I wont spend much time, if any, on a track so daily entertainment with some comfort and refinement is what I seek.

With the announcement of the GTS 4.0, it'll give me the the chance to build MY perfect car. Before they announced it I was targeting a new GT4 (if they put a PDK in it at some point) and while it would be really cool, for my needs it would likely have some drawbacks as a daily driver; scraping, rougher ride, comfort, limited color choices. A GT4 would be a car I went after with my heart, but a GTS 4.0 would be a car bought with my head. And who knows if I'd ever even get the chance to ****** a GT4 allocation.

I probably have one more 'fun car' purchase in me and if I can build my own personal Cayman GTS 4.0 w options I KNOW work for me (Agate Gray cuz I like clean cars but hate cleaning them, PDK, 14-way Seats as I KNOW they're comfortable for us, keyless entry 'cuz I'm lazy, backup camera cuz I suck at parking, etc.) it would be a better result than taking a chance that a GT4 *might* work for my less-than-all-out needs. If a fun car becomes a PITA for any reason, it's not so fun anymore.

A spec'd out Cayman GTS 4.0 for me would likely approach a lesser equipped GT4 money...and I'm OK with that because it would be a better fit for me than a GT4. It's really not about money, depreciation or other such practical considerations...it's about getting my perfect car. I'm in no hurry, the 981 is a great car I wanna spend another year or 2 with.

Hopefully Porsche makes enough of the GTS 4.0 avaliable to us common folks without too much trouble. Driving the 981 has realigned what I thought I wanted in a fun car, I'd really like a chance to tailor the perfect one for me.

Long time Porsche owner.. I'm on the exact page as you... wanting the GTS 4.0 now instead of GT4.. just waiting on PDK..
BTW.. I also got rid of an unenjoyable 992 for this car...
Old 01-19-2020, 09:46 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
That python green would probably look good with silver wheels too, in which case the silver stitching would be a good fit.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:51 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
If you do full leather you have the option to do lizard or mamba green stitching. I wouldn’t complain about limited options... go to the GT4/Spyder configurator... they have less than half the options the 4.0 has.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:10 PM
Blackfield
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Has it been confirmed that the PDK coming? If so, anyone has information when? Thank you.

Last edited by Blackfield; 01-19-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0