Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 10:46 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 205 Posts

Porsche writes: 315kmh Vmax
Speedometer maximum in real life is: 305kmh (which is with new tires below 299 GPS)
(measurements done also downhill...)

7th Gear rpm max is: 8.300rpm
soft limiter kicks in - throttle body closes a bit - hearable

so around 450hp at Vmax - electronically limited

i would say thats a thing.
And Porsche could tell us a couple of words about it - or downscale their Vmax in the papers.

clearly its still a hell of a car!
but we don´t want to be fooled - as Ferrari and Lambo customers.
The following 2 users liked this post by jo_ker:
Kermit_the_Frog (07-13-2022), Mr. Adair (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 11:30 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
Porsche writes: 315kmh Vmax
Speedometer maximum in real life is: 305kmh (which is with new tires below 299 GPS)
(measurements done also downhill...)

7th Gear rpm max is: 8.300rpm
soft limiter kicks in - throttle body closes a bit - hearable

so around 450hp at Vmax - electronically limited

i would say thats a thing.
And Porsche could tell us a couple of words about it - or downscale their Vmax in the papers.

clearly its still a hell of a car!
but we don´t want to be fooled - as Ferrari and Lambo customers.
So you are saying Porsche are engaging in misleading or deceptive conduct in commerce or industry.

You are fools because you don’t understand basic aerodynamics and HP. What was the headwind, what were the tire pressures, was the fuel new or old or a blend.

Just stop with this nonsense there is no soft limiter at 8300 rpm - if the car pulled timing it will be for another reason eg fuel, temp air flow.

Last edited by groundhog; 07-12-2022 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KLCC 88 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 11:50 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
So you are saying Porsche are engaging in misleading or deceptive conduct in commerce or industry.

You are fools because you don’t understand basic aerodynamics and HP. What was the headwind, what were the tire pressures, was the fuel new or old or a blend.

Just stop with this nonsense there is no soft limiter at 8300 rpm - if the car pulled timing it will be for another reason eg fuel, temp air flow.
Seriously?
So far there have been 3 instances with 3 different cars, 3 different drivers and at 3 different times and locations all arriving at the same result.
What again are the odds for you being right in each one of those?
Old 07-12-2022, 11:55 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Seriously?
So far there have been 3 instances with 3 different cars, 3 different drivers and at 3 different times and locations all arriving at the same result.
What again are the odds for you being right in each one of those?
It’s simple why does the car rev to 9000 rpm in 1,2,3,4,5,6 but not 7th

Its been explained to you, as have the differences in RPM vs velocity for the GT3 Vs 4RS. If you don’t understand the engineering and physics explanations please feel free to offer a credible explanation lol

You can’t - exactly like those that claim that Porsche under rate their engines.

I guess those of us that have had cars with this engine and gear box for many years must have missed the special top speed 7th gear limiter - that’s only available in the 4RS.

Perhaps you should take legal action against Porsche for misleading or deceptive conduct given the Vmax is stated in the spec sheet for the car.

If you really believe there is a problem - run your car and others on a MAHA dyno and demonstrate that the car is not making 500PS at the crank. You could call Porsche and ask them if there is a soft limiter at 8300 RPM in 7th.

Last edited by groundhog; 07-12-2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:40 PM
KLCC 88
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Question for those who’s gone through the Porsche process of tracking. I’ve just been noticed this morning I’m now in phase 2… so what exactly does that mean? Lol.

what does schedule production mean? Like any day? Next week? My original date was end of august for entering body shop.

Last edited by KLCC 88; 07-12-2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I guess those of us that have had cars with this engine and gear box for many years must have missed the special top speed 7th gear limiter - that’s only available in the 4RS.
🤣

4.0 is not 4.0. IIRC there was the burner, the .... So your years of experience is with a different 4.0 motor; not this one.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:06 PM
Odin
Racer

Received 484 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Interesting - will be curious to see Porsche’s explanation for misleading Vmax info in their marketing material…
I’ve NEVER heard Porsche overestimate performance on ANY of their cars. The other way around, always underestimated performance figures. This is kind of shocking. Not that I will ever get near such speeds in my country, but WTF??? What about my bragging rights down at the pub! This was supposed to be the first +300kph car of mine!!!!
Mr. Adair (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 05:40 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Believe there's a German law regarding such things, is there not?
Old 07-13-2022, 12:22 AM
very green R
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Weisach pack question;

Is it just an appearance package or do the Ti tips actually make more noise / are lighter?
I believe the Ti WP tips are for appearance only. Both in shape and the blue temper color that will form from heat and oxidation. Ti is less dense than iron so if the Ti were the same shape and thickness as the iron then the Ti would only be about 2/3 as heavy as the iron. But the Ti has a more complicated shape with fins connecting the inner and outer pipes so difficult to say which is actually heavier on the GT4RS. I think the noise will be almost the same between the two versions.

Last edited by very green R; 07-13-2022 at 12:23 AM. Reason: capitalization error corrected
Old 07-13-2022, 08:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by very green R
I believe the Ti WP tips are for appearance only. Both in shape and the blue temper color that will form from heat and oxidation. Ti is less dense than iron so if the Ti were the same shape and thickness as the iron then the Ti would only be about 2/3 as heavy as the iron. But the Ti has a more complicated shape with fins connecting the inner and outer pipes so difficult to say which is actually heavier on the GT4RS. I think the noise will be almost the same between the two versions.
thank you
Old 07-13-2022, 09:55 AM
Maciej964
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
I’m torn. I think the carbon hood is cool but sometimes looks a little “tuner”. The big stripe will help that to look more factory GT2. Am I correct if you pick Weissach package you have to take the exposed carbon hood? I would prefer a painted hood. That said I would consider the Porsche factory skinny stripe I have had on other GT cars. If you use a contrasting color center stripe over carbon that works with the body color that might be nice. For example shark blu, red calipers, black carbon hood red factory Porsche center stripe. Would love like hell to pull off red calipers on PCCBs! Black is better than yellow but is still hidden. 🤷‍♂️
Fully agree. I have ordered without Weissach pack just for this reason. The hood is anyhow carbon but it is just painted. Yes, you miss those carbon air intakes also but not for the weight saving for sure. In my opinion the more pure the better.
TDT (04-04-2023)
Old 07-13-2022, 11:41 AM
very green R
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Maciej964
Fully agree. I have ordered without Weissach pack just for this reason. The hood is anyhow carbon but it is just painted. Yes, you miss those carbon air intakes also but not for the weight saving for sure. In my opinion the more pure the better.
I agree. And lets not forget that if the carbon fiber air intake scoops had a performance effect then Porsche would have included them with the Clubsport GT4RS. I think the WP is somewhat for additional profit along with more choices especially for those who like cf exposed, If a person really wants magnesium wheels they have to take the WP. The cf air intake scoops makes it look like you are getting something performance wise for your money. Clever marketing, and I think OK for Porsche to do this, and be profitable, and give us these great cars. Those who would have liked the magnesium wheels as a stand alone option can at least get PCCB to save on rotating unsprung mass.

Last edited by very green R; 07-13-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Porsche2014 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 08:47 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 115 Posts

If WP added some more performance I would have considered it, however as its cosmetic only i'll save my money and wait for a Manthey racing kit for the car, it'll probably be a similar cost to WP but will actually have some performance gains.
The following 2 users liked this post by cafe_racer:
GentianGentleman (07-14-2022), TDT (04-04-2023)
Old 07-13-2022, 11:22 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,536 Posts

If the carbon airbox and intakes were available without the "package", I might consider skipping it... It seems that much of the wonderful noise that the 4RS makes inside the cabin is due to the carbon airbox.

Sure, it's hard to justify the "value" in the $13K Wiessach package, particularly from a performance perspective. But if one is lucky enough to score a decent timeframe 4RS allocation without paying the moon for it, seems even harder to forgo a cosmetic and driving experience upgrade like the Weissach package, assuming you like the visible carbon and race-tex upgrades it offers. I'm checking the box on mine.

Last edited by pfbz; 07-14-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 484 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
If WP added some more performance I would have considered it, however as its cosmetic only i'll save my money and wait for a Manthey racing kit for the car, it'll probably be a similar cost to WP but will actually have some performance gains.
I believe AP said in the TG video the scoops had a small ram air effect at higher speeds.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4RS