Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 impressions

Old 06-13-2016, 09:26 PM
SCOTTL64
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 718 impressions

Dealer employees are coming back from training raving about the new boxster turbos! I heard they are night and day over the 2016 models especially in S form. Looking forward to a test drive.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:44 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not surprised - after all its their job to sell them
Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,595 Likes on 878 Posts

Uhhh they are sales people... Of course they are going to say this. If they said the opposite they wouldn't sell any. Which means no paycheck.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:54 PM
SCOTTL64
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't pay attention to what salespeople say
This came from service staff
Old 06-13-2016, 10:18 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm sure they'll be fun to drive. Question is how many will pay $80k to $90k for a 4 cylinder Porsche that doesn't sound spectacular.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

968 forever!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I'm sure they'll be fun to drive. Question is how many will pay $80k to $90k for a 4 cylinder Porsche that doesn't sound spectacular.
Easy upsell to the 911, which (in the US at least) is the whole idea.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:45 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

When I came back after my 718S testdrive in beginning May, the SA in charge of the testdrives asked what I thought. I didn't want to start a big discussion so I just said - Well, it's not for me. He then asked - Why not? I had to answer - Well for starters, there's a lot of vibrations, the exhaust sound is cr*p and it was surprisingly laggy and short of torque below 2300 rpm... He looked at me as if I was retarded or something and then started with: "You know the engine has max torque at 1700 rpm......" I just laughed...

He was genuninely offended that I totally disrespected this product. This was going nowhere so I just thanked him for the ride, went for the exit, but saw the SA that sold me my CGTS earlier this year and went over to him. He asked what I thought of the 718 and I said: I think I'll keep the GTS for a while. He then said: Well of course - you got a real engine in that one...
Old 06-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Quack
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no issue with the 718 four cylinder for a number of reasons. It may not be an NA flat six for sure, but hey that's fine. Using a turbo flat four gives Porsche a chance to use the NA flat six in special cayman/boxster models only. The turbo flat four improves the emissions for the boxster/cayman to allow for more latitude for future performance models, but at the same time gives meaningful torque and hp improvements in the standard product. The flat 4cyl turbo is much more amenable to performance mods, allowing those new to the brand to have a moddable car. Personally I don't see an issue with it!
Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quack
I have no issue with the 718 four cylinder for a number of reasons. It may not be an NA flat six for sure, but hey that's fine. Using a turbo flat four gives Porsche a chance to use the NA flat six in special cayman/boxster models only. The turbo flat four improves the emissions for the boxster/cayman to allow for more latitude for future performance models, but at the same time gives meaningful torque and hp improvements in the standard product. The flat 4cyl turbo is much more amenable to performance mods, allowing those new to the brand to have a moddable car. Personally I don't see an issue with it!
Two questions:

1. Where would the supply of that NA flat six come from? The GT-dept...? Don't hold your breath. And besides - imagine the PR nightmare for PAG after trying to sell turbo flat 4 to customers and then presenting an NA 6 for the "real" versions...

2. Have you driven it? If so, really still no issues with it? Of course, as long as all new Boxster/Caymans are turbo 4, your GT4 will probably hold its value nicely. So in that sense I can understand your statement
Old 06-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Quack
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Two questions:

1. Where would the supply of that NA flat six come from? The GT-dept...? Don't hold your breath. And besides - imagine the PR nightmare for PAG after trying to sell turbo flat 4 to customers and then presenting an NA 6 for the "real" versions...

2. Have you driven it? If so, really still no issues with it? Of course, as long as all new Boxster/Caymans are turbo 4, your GT4 will probably hold its value nicely. So in that sense I can understand your statement

True, the special flat sixes would be GT only. It's a PR nightmare to sell flat fours for Porsche, but I look at it this way, NA engines are dying under current pollution legislation. It's hard to keep them going.

I haven't driven a turbo flat four, but have had Subaru flat fours (which are pretty great drives imo). Yep my GT4 should keep it's value in the face of the current market, but my comments aren't aimed at maintaining the value of my GT4 order. I think under the current pressure that Porsche faces with emissions control, a turbo flat four is the least worst compromise. At the end of the day I think that a turbo flat four Porsche presents a good way to keep the high end business for Porsche continuing (ie. NA Sports cars), and for the (non hardcore) Porsche enthusiast is a nice way to allow for cost effective modifications of a lower spec Porsche (ie. tuning a turbo Porsche should be a cheaper proposition).
Old 06-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

All the flat six Vs. flat four talk? All moot points when the electric 911 and others really hit the market. I am afraid to say but in the next 20 years we will see massive changes in the auto industry.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:40 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

So what? Those of us who have been able to get our hands on whatever combustion engine driven car that gives us the right emotions could probably not care less. Unless someone decides gasoline should cost like $100/liter... Then
Old 06-14-2016, 03:53 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My salesman recently returned from a PCA event with the 718 and 718S. He loved it, went on and on about how great it was, but admitted that the exhaust sounded like a "clapped-out Subaru WRX".

I suggested that his great driving experience on the racetrack may not be quite the same as driving on the street, and got that same "all the torque is at 1700 RPM" response.

I've got my fifth turbo BMW right now, and they keep getting better and better, but I'd still prefer a normally aspirated engine. Like the one in my 981.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
My salesman recently returned from a PCA event with the 718 and 718S. He loved it, went on and on about how great it was, but admitted that the exhaust sounded like a "clapped-out Subaru WRX".

I suggested that his great driving experience on the racetrack may not be quite the same as driving on the street, and got that same "all the torque is at 1700 RPM" response.

I've got my fifth turbo BMW right now, and they keep getting better and better, but I'd still prefer a normally aspirated engine. Like the one in my 981.
Agree with you! I have BMWs with the 3.0L tubo six - the 340xi is a hoot to drive - very quick car with a wonderful exhaust note. I bought my Boxster S from Porsche of the Main Line as you did, and found the sales people to be pretty straight up. Obviously, there is pressure from PAG to feed them sales lines for each product, and the "torque at 1700" seems to be a common thread. Personally if the 718 even sounded like a NON-clapped out WRX, I still wouldn't want it. I'll keep my NA 981S, thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 impressions