Sponsored by:

718 impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:27 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

How do you know that? Where is your information coming from or is that just speculation or opinion ?

Matt

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
NO question the next gen GT4 and Spyder will have the turbo-charged 6 from either the Carrera or Carrera S (probably the base IMO with a different tune). There's no source for a NA 6 other than the GT department and I find it highly unlikely they're going to put a GT3 engine in the GT4 or Spyder.

Long-live the current NA GT4 and Spyder!!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
I was under the impression that the exact opposite was true. That turbo's performed POORER at altitude due to the decrease in O2?
A Turbo engine won't perform as well at high elevation as the same turbo engine at sea level, but that turbo engine will definitely suffer less than a same HP NA engine at the same high altitude, that's the point they're trying to make
Old 06-17-2016, 01:01 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a calculator for power loss on a N/A at altitude.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/braking-hp.php
Old 06-17-2016, 06:57 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

I own 4 turbo cars and while fun I prefer the throttle feel of a normally aspirated engine you can apply throttle more precisely thats is why GT cars don't have Turbos.

My wife has a 981 S and I love driving it.

Ian
Old 06-18-2016, 03:29 PM
MSHii
Advanced

While the 982 doesn't sound the way we are accustomed to hearing modern Porsches sound, it is not a bad sounding car. There is a small bit of lag in the standard 718, and only a brief hesitation from standstill in the S due to the effectiveness of the VTG (in every other situation it is hard to tell it is a turbo at all). The cars are very fast and handle extremely predictably. Even those of you who love your NA Boxsters will probably find some charm in the new cars if and when you drive them.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:15 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Again - the S also has lag, there's no way around it. Connected to a PDK and running in auto the feeling of the lag is probably masked a little by the gearbox selecting a lower gear while the boost builds up.

But, run in manual mode, do a throttle pedal movement from 0 or part throttle to full, and you will feel how the boost builds up. It is physics and nature law - not even Porsches engineers can overcome that. Some will like it (or not be bothered) and some won't.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:57 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MSHii
While the 982 doesn't sound the way we are accustomed to hearing modern Porsches sound, it is not a bad sounding car. . . The cars are very fast and handle extremely predictably. Even those of you who love your NA Boxsters will probably find some charm in the new cars if and when you drive them.
I suspect this is very true. I saw my first 718 yesterday, but have yet to drive one. Amidst all the close scrutiny this car has come under, I anticipate coming away pleasantly surprised after some seat time.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:39 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MSHii
... Even those of you who love your NA Boxsters will probably find some charm in the new cars if and when you drive them.
I drove an S an didn't find any charm. I don't find excessive vibrations, droning sound and turbo lag especially charming. Maybe would have been different if I didn't have my CGTS to compare with, but even then, I would have had a hard time motivating the price for a 4cyl turbo. Would probably went for an M2 instead.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:22 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
I drove an S an didn't find any charm. I don't find excessive vibrations, droning sound and turbo lag especially charming. Maybe would have been different if I didn't have my CGTS to compare with, but even then, I would have had a hard time motivating the price for a 4cyl turbo. Would probably went for an M2 instead.
I'm honestly having a tough time deciding between putting my name down for an M2 in the spring versus getting a used 6-cylinder Cayman S/GTS.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I keep thinking about the new direction that Porsche is taking with their engines and I for one remain hopeful that there will be some amazing turbo cars in our near future. My basis for this are cars like the 930, 959 and F40. Sometimes it takes some relearning to fully utilize the power but when you do the extra horsepower and torque are intoxicating. They may not get it right the first time but I think they will eventually get it right and we will all be clamoring for them.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
I'm honestly having a tough time deciding between putting my name down for an M2 in the spring versus getting a used 6-cylinder Cayman S/GTS.

See what this guy wrote in post 5 about M4 vs 997.2.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...r-997-2-a.html

I have not driven an M2, but I have spent time in the M235 and M3/4, and while they are fast, the feel just isn't there for me. Go with the Cayman S/GTS.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:20 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
See what this guy wrote in post 5 about M4 vs 997.2.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...r-997-2-a.html

I have not driven an M2, but I have spent time in the M235 and M3/4, and while they are fast, the feel just isn't there for me. Go with the Cayman S/GTS.
FWIW, the M2 is supposed to be the "purest" M car in years. Still, having driven a Boxster, there's an enormous appeal in having a mid-engine car, especially while I don't have kids. The last of the 6-cylinders is just icing on the cake, although some of the prices being asked for the Cayman S/GTS seem ridiculous when I compare them to 911 prices.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
I was under the impression that the exact opposite was true. That turbo's performed POORER at altitude due to the decrease in O2?
As has been said, no... turbos perform better at altitude precisely because there is less O2. Well, not so much O2, but less dense air, including the O2 in the air.

A turbo charger allows an engine to make more power by cramming more air into the cylinders than a NA engine, even at sea level. At altitude, the turbo still stuffs more air into the cylinders than the NA engine is getting from the ambient air.

Depending on the turbo settings, even a turbo's power will fall off with altitude, too. A "turbonormalizer", for example, used in aircraft, will make sea level pressure available to the engine up to some preset altitude before it starts to fall off. A turbocharger just boosts the ambient pressure by some amount and falls off with altitude, too. But if it boosts by, say 10 PSI, then you have that much more air in the cylinders than your NA counterpart.

Simple explanation, but that's the jist of it.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:52 PM
croctor
Intermediate

Having owned a 944 Turbo and a WRX STI I would have no issues owning a 718 Boxster and I predict a lot of people will feel the same way. But, I think I will keep the 981 Spyder for quite some time.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stopped by porsche of color springs today after work to see the Singer 911 that's on display (freaking amazing btw) and they just got 2 718's in. SA was kind enough to start one up for me; the sound was not horrible (though not great either). I'd say it's the best I could expect to hear from a turbo 4. Not in the same league as the spyder for sure but better than the sound clips I've heard.
I hate the rear end in person even more than I did in pics.

Didn't snap pics, was too busy drooling over the singer.

Quick Reply: 718 impressions