Sponsored by:

My GTS/4 TOURING Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 06:00 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebsy
it's great to see it can be done but not quite the plug and play solution i'm looking for, plus my car still has porsche warranty so can't be doing any (obvious) mods. the spoiler can be changed back in a couple of minutes if needed. the duck venom looks great, even if the body shop needs to do a bit of work on it.
I thought it looked pretty good when I opened the box, the body shop did not share the same thoughts.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:32 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 254 Posts

OJ, looks fantastic! Congratulations 🎉🍾🎈🎊
Old 11-16-2023, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
037, thanks for the very thorough information. For a moment I was worried that changing the top cap on the spoiler would throw a code when the spoiler went up.

When you get a chance, post some pictures of your GT4 spoiler on here, thanks again for all the great information.
That's the thing, the factory GT4 piece won't work as a top cap. It replaces the entire moving assembly with a fixed ducktail.

If you're after something that works with the moving spoiler then unfortunately what I did won't be your solution. What you have now is it.

Last edited by 037; 11-20-2023 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:50 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 037
It's actually pretty straightforward. The GT4 ducktail fits using the GT4 lower spoiler and four screws. The spoiler elevator motor assembly frame is identical to the GT4 once the motor parts are all removed. You then code the spoiler to deploy at a higher speed so it never tries to actuate the motor and throw a warning on the dash from the lack of communication.

Parts needed:
  • 982-807-433-A-G2X : GT4 spoiler, upper, primed
  • 982-807-795-C-OK1 : GT4 spoiler base
  • 9A7-007-517-00 : GT4 spoiler attachment screws (qty 4 needed)
  • Launch X431, PIWIS, or similar to code deployment speed higher
Code changes:
  • Rear-end Electronics > Spoiler parameter--GeschwSchwEinf 1 = 270 km/h
  • Rear-end Electronics > Spoiler parameter--Extending 1 speed threshold = 180 km/h

If using PIWIS III, the code changes are done under Development Mode. I'm not sure about the current PIWIS IV or whatever it's now called.

This is literally all it takes. Then it's simply a matter of removing the rear bumper cover to install the GT4 spoiler base (repacing the stock piece) and disassembling the elevator motor and leaving just the frame behind. Cover and zip tie the wiring harness plug going to the now gone motor connection and put it all back together. Have your local body shop paint the upper spoiler to match, install, and enjoy.

This is the 100% OEM parts solution to having a factory ducktail. I've seen others attempt it but have yet to see anyone do it entirely with factory parts. Mine might be the first.

I did this because everyone I asked either said it couldn't be done or had no idea what parts would be required. It took me buying and returning a few incorrect parts to get here, including my local dealership not knowing how to code the spoiler from throwing a warning on my dash at ~77 mp/h. Hopefully the above helps others.
Amazing info! I really like this full OEM solution.

The only concern I'd have is rear end stability at higher speeds since I track the car. I remember the original Audi TT didn't initially have one and they added a small one which made a massive difference to stability even at highway speeds.

Maybe it would be good to combine this with a GT4 rear diffuser so compensate for the spoiler not deploying. I'm going to explore all of this some more.

Thanks again for all the info! What was the total cost if you don't mind me asking?
The following users liked this post:
037 (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 11:09 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 037
That's the thing, the factory GT4 piece won't work as a top cap. It replaces the entire moving assembly with a fixed ducktail.

If you're after something that works with the moving spoiler then unfortunately what I did won't be your solution. What you have now is it.

I don't have a ton of photos but here's one more. I never liked how the pop-up spoiler looked when up so this was my solution. I also wanted to use 100% factory parts after finally decoding the parts schematics on what I needed.
OK, I definitely wanted my spoiler to go up at speed. Without the GT4 wing I want the spoiler to create as much down force as possible because of the much bigger front splitter and want to balance front and rear down force. This is similar to the Spyder combination front and rear with the GT4 splitter just a little bit longer.

Last edited by OldJedi; 11-16-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
Amazing info! I really like this full OEM solution.

The only concern I'd have is rear end stability at higher speeds since I track the car. I remember the original Audi TT didn't initially have one and they added a small one which made a massive difference to stability even at highway speeds.

Maybe it would be good to combine this with a GT4 rear diffuser so compensate for the spoiler not deploying. I'm going to explore all of this some more.

Thanks again for all the info! What was the total cost if you don't mind me asking?
If there's an aerodynamic downside I haven't discovered it yet. I've had it up to ~145 and felt no stability issues. Fuel economy on the highway seems better, which means it (likely) errs on the side of drag reduction.

Total cost of parts was just under $700 plus $200 for paint. I did the install work myself but had it professionally painted. Add coding or buying a scan tool capable of coding to that cost if you don't already own or have access to one.

OK, I definitely wanted my spoiler to go up at speed. Without the GT4 wing I want the spoiler to create as much down force as possible because of the much bigger front splitter and want to balance front and rear down force. This is similar to the Spyder combination front and rear with the GT4 splitter just a little bit longer.
On the GT4, this spoiler helps the wing work by shaping air along the underside of the wing. I'm not sure how that balances on the Spyder. My guess is that it cleans up turbulance far more than adding any measurable downforce. The rear underpanel diffuser is likely your best bet if I had to make a wild guess.

At a minimum I'd recommend wheels/tires and a brake upgrade if you're tracking. The stock cross-drilled rotors range somewhere between mediocre to terrible for heavy use. I did Girodisc on mine but am already on the hunt for a better track solution. For street use they've been excellent.

Last edited by 037; 11-16-2023 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:55 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 037
If there's an aerodynamic downside I haven't discovered it yet. I've had it up to ~145 and felt no stability issues. Fuel economy on the highway seems better, which means it (likely) errs on the side of drag reduction.

Total cost of parts was just under $700 plus $200 for paint. I did the install work myself but had it professionally painted. Add coding or buying a scan tool capable of coding to that cost if you don't already own or have access to one.

On the GT4, this spoiler helps the wing work by shaping air along the underside of the wing. I'm not sure how that balances on the Spyder. My guess is that it cleans up turbulance far more than adding any measurable downforce. The rear underpanel diffuser is likely your best bet if I had to make a wild guess.

At a minimum I'd recommend wheels/tires and a brake upgrade if you're tracking. The stock cross-drilled rotors range somewhere between mediocre to terrible for heavy use. I did Girodisc on mine but am already on the hunt for a better track solution. For street use they've been excellent.
OK thanks, I appreciate the information about the brake rotors. I was looking at information on Girodisc and Essex rotors.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:52 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 037

What's wrong with Girodisc from you experience? That was my plan after the stock drilled ones start cracking. Combined with some Pagid or Ferodo pads.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:27 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Kelsey from Flat 6 Motorsports sent me some high res pictures from their photo shoot. I think that they did a fantastic job with the bumper conversion, and adding the side scoops and rear spoiler. I know that this is not for everyone but I am ecstatic with how well the car looks. My GTS/4 TOURING is ready to pick up and we will do so next weekend. If this is something that you are interested in, I can highly recommend Flat 6 Motorsports. Thank you Jon, Billy, Ivan and Kelsey. I truly appreciate all of the work that you put into making my idea into a reality! And also special thanks to the crew at Samuel's Auto Body who filled, sanded and color matched all of the parts, it looks beautiful.

Last edited by OldJedi; 11-18-2023 at 03:43 AM.
The following 10 users liked this post by OldJedi:
037 (11-18-2023), Aj718Spy (12-07-2023), cbracerx (11-17-2023), Dee Pee (12-07-2023), elm3c (02-14-2024), Flat6Motorsports (11-19-2023), jeebsy (11-19-2023), LooseNut (11-18-2023), nintendo_usa (11-19-2023), wdr911 (11-17-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-18-2023, 03:48 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Billy also sent me a picture of his 981 Boxster with a Flat 6 Motorsports GT4 front bumper. He is almost done with his project and I look forward to seeing pictures of his completed car as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by OldJedi:
Flat6Motorsports (11-19-2023), wdr911 (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 03:54 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
OJ, looks fantastic! Congratulations 🎉🍾🎈🎊
Thank You !! Yes, I am very happy with how she turned out and looking forward to seeing her in person soon.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:02 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 657 Likes on 371 Posts

Man it looks so good all finished up! Thank you

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 11-18-2023, 01:17 PM
718gtspilot
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You !! Yes, I am very happy with how she turned out and looking forward to seeing her in person soon.
Beautiful result, well done. I don’t get on the forums at all really and it was through Flat6 Instagram post that I tracked this down. And now I can see that I’m not the only smart one with the idea to make a GT4 Touring LOL. Better yet, is all the work and advice you guys have to offer fellow owners like myself…really appreciate the wealth of information here. I actually live in Orlando and only a short drive from Flat6. This conversion has been on my list of things to do, including the oem+ addition of the GT4 ducktail. So great to see it all together.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:56 PM
$ Short
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that ever some EYE CANDY.
The following users liked this post:
OldJedi (11-21-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 04:10 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 718gtspilot
Beautiful result, well done. I don’t get on the forums at all really and it was through Flat6 Instagram post that I tracked this down. And now I can see that I’m not the only smart one with the idea to make a GT4 Touring LOL. Better yet, is all the work and advice you guys have to offer fellow owners like myself…really appreciate the wealth of information here. I actually live in Orlando and only a short drive from Flat6. This conversion has been on my list of things to do, including the oem+ addition of the GT4 ducktail. So great to see it all together.
That is great that you are so close to Flat 6 Motorsports. I will be picking it up next Saturday the 25th in case you want to see it before then. I found that they were wonderful to work with. Also thanks for the nice words.

Last edited by OldJedi; 11-19-2023 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: My GTS/4 TOURING Project