Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   718 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-forum-246/)
-   -   718 Boxster Base: Bose, LED/Bi-Xenon, Smartphone compartment and Nav -- worth it? (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-forum/1363779-718-boxster-base-bose-led-bi-xenon-smartphone-compartment-and-nav-worth-it.html)

rasetsu 09-09-2023 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by reacp911 (Post 19003159)
I wonder how many people are going to plan to hack their (relatively) expensive car before they even have it

Did you click on the links I shared? It's not that invasive. The "hack" is just for the PCM and if that's too scary then the plug and play dongle works similarly well.

rasetsu 09-09-2023 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pedal Wench (Post 19004575)
Thanks. Without being able to audition on the current system, I appreciate the advice.

And to make sure I understand this completely, I can hack and access Android Auto on a MY 2024 718? I would hate to discover that they've removed it from the hidden software.

You're best off confirming with the vendors on here who provide that service or just try the Car link dongle I shared and if it doesn't work, return it. There isn't much of a choice. There's no option to choose when ordering that makes Android Auto come easier.

Pedal Wench 09-09-2023 04:13 PM

The Carlinkit dongle seems like the ideal solution. So, definitely skipping Nav! Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!

rasetsu 09-09-2023 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pedal Wench (Post 19004682)
The Carlinkit dongle seems like the ideal solution. So, definitely skipping Nav! Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!

I would say it's a decent substitute or stop gap for the price and ease of use but not as reliable as activating the native Android Auto in the PCM from what I've read. If someone US based ever decides to offer the activation service, I will take them up on that and stop using the Car Link.

Pedal Wench 09-10-2023 06:34 PM

Thanks everyone! And just in time -- my build is locking in tomorrow!

mtregan 09-10-2023 09:48 PM

If the non Bose is similar to the 981 standard stereo system get the Bose. I had the standard stereo in my 981 and have the Bose system in my 718 Cayman and the Bose is so much better/clearer. The 718 is overall quieter than the 981 so maybe it's just that which makes the sound better.

Like others said, skip the nav and install it with the downloadable software. I did it, takes about 30-40 min, really easy. It also adds an Android carplay-like app. You can buy a wireless Carplay/Android adaptor on Amazon for $40-50 and have it wireless. Did this also. Takes about 10-15 sec to enable each time you get in the car but works well.

I have the LED, very bright.

Pedal Wench 09-11-2023 12:24 AM

Is that one link posted above the only/best place to learn about and get the software? It's a 45-page thread, so not sure if there's a more recent/current instruction page. :)

mtregan 09-11-2023 08:17 AM

If you go through the last 7-8 pages, you'll find the link to the software which has good instructions and video. There were 2 videos. One said 981 and one said 911. I thought they were different so was only watching the 981 video. Watch the 911 video, more detailed and walks you through the entire setup. Install for both cars is the same. The install has changed over the past couple of years, gotten much simpler.

Pedal Wench 09-11-2023 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mtregan (Post 19006876)
If you go through the last 7-8 pages, you'll find the link to the software which has good instructions and video. There were 2 videos. One said 981 and one said 911. I thought they were different so was only watching the 981 video. Watch the 911 video, more detailed and walks you through the entire setup. Install for both cars is the same. The install has changed over the past couple of years, gotten much simpler.

THANK YOU!!! Hopefully this advice will help lots of others as well. Reading that thread from the beginning was a bit overwhelming. I should be getting delivery at the end of December and will give it a shot!

Wild Weasel 09-11-2023 03:07 PM

I've ordered the Bose system on all three of my Porsche sports cars and have been perfectly happy with it. I'm no audiophile but it seems like a small amount of money in the overall scheme of things and I figure that all the cabin noise is MORE reason to have more speakers and an amp. It's not about quality to me. It's about clarity at volume. I run my Garmin Catalyst through it at the track and can hear it clear as day even at high rpm full throttle.

Nav is stupid expensive for what it is, but I keep ordering it. There are little things like having the clock automatically set and access to the Porsche Track Precision app (that's complete garbage but hey... maybe some day it'll work reliably) that come with Nav that aren't so easy to retrofit. I know it's a tough sell. By all means skip it if you're pinching pennies. I never actually use the nav now that it has CarPlay. I used it on my 981 though and it worked as well as any other factory nav, for what that's worth.

I have no idea what the smartphone compartment even does and never ordered it. With CarPlay you already get a USB connection in the armrest console. I think there's some antenna booster thingy with the smartphone compartment thing but I have no idea whether that's in any way tangibly useful.

Get the LED's. They're very nice and it still amuses me seeing them pointing around corners when I'm turning. And you WANT those 4 dots in the front. :D

Pedal Wench 09-11-2023 03:59 PM

Again, thanks for all the input/advice. As I mentioned, I worked in auto audio tuning (not for Porsche, but another luxury brand) so it is something I just feel I should get, so it's ordered. I also did audio work for Samsung, so feel an allegiance to their brand, so I'm an Android person. I didn't do Bose on my 981 and regretted it, so it's going in to this one. Building this with no regrets. :)

rasetsu 09-11-2023 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pedal Wench (Post 19007735)
I also did audio work for Samsung, so feel an allegiance to their brand, so I'm an Android person. I didn't do Bose on my 981 and regretted it, so it's going in to this one. Building this with no regrets. :)

I work for Samsung! Thanks for your support!
I'm with you on just ordering the Bose if you think you might want it. It's not much more in the grand scheme of things. I have test driven a Cayman with base audio and it was "acceptable" but I'm not an audiophile. The car I bought has it. Bose does give you more bass and adjustability.

LeftLane50mph 09-14-2023 01:45 AM

Car is too noisy to appreciate Bose imo

Mattyboi 09-14-2023 03:16 AM

I got my Boxster T earlier this year and has the same spec dilemma as you have.

- I got the LED headlights, the PDLS (not plus). 100% get these, always get the best headlights. They're great and the turning function works well on twisty roads at night.
- Bose. Not available when I had to lock my spec. The car is so loud inside I'm happy with my base system, its good enough on the highway and for long trips.
- Smartphone compartment. Its cheap enough so I'm glad I got it for carplay. I also got a bluetooth dongle which hides nicely in there and means I dont always have to plug my phone in.
- Nav. I didnt bother as its very expensive, I use Waze through car play. If you have an android phone its prob worth it.