Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   718 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-forum-246/)
-   -   Swapping PDK for Manual, possible? (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-forum/1338125-swapping-pdk-for-manual-possible.html)

BoxsterJiuJitsu 02-23-2023 02:04 PM

Swapping PDK for Manual, possible?

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has experience swapping a PDK 718 and installing a manual gear box and if they can advise as to whether or not its possible/ worth it?

SoCal-NSX 02-23-2023 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by BoxsterJiuJitsu (Post 18648864)
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has experience swapping a PDK 718 and installing a manual gear box and if they can advise as to whether or not its possible/ worth it?

Yes, I did it.......

sold my 981 CS PDK

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...dba6d5edc.jpeg

flew to AZ and picked up a 718 6MT

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...24392378c6.jpg

seriously, that is going to be the only proper way to do it.....best choice I ever made :thumbup:

scottrx7tt1 02-23-2023 04:42 PM

yeah, not even worth it. it could probably be done, but at a cost higher than if you just sold it or traded the pdk in for a manual.

ldamelio 02-23-2023 06:22 PM

There's a thread somewhere here on RL about someone who installed a manual transmission in a 991 GT3RS a few years ago. He was momentarily internet-famous in our little world. IIRC, it took an immense amount of time and $. This was a cost no object vanity project. I've heard of others doing it with Ferrari 456s. For a car in the 718 price range, I think it would be cost prohibitive not even factoring in the time commitment (another form of $). It might make sense if you're doing a flood salvage and are completely dismantling the car anyway. Other than that scenario, I can't see it being worthwhile.

Aronis 02-27-2023 03:27 PM

Watching with great interest. Not that I want to swap mine but when people DIY such project's it's just marvelous to watch.

People did such a swap in the 2003 RS6 using a manual box from the S4. A machine shop owner made the special adaptor plate. People figured out the coding to code out the auto transmission.

The result was amazing. Manual Transmission, modified RS6's with bigger turbos. Something interesting about a 4500 pound car with 800 hp, AWD and a MANUAL transmission.

So, I can see someone here doing such a swap.

Obviously trading the car is the smart move. If you look down the road and the only Cayman's sold are all EV's and you want a ICE AND Manual, then that swap may become something more 'common.'

Mike

EMpunker 02-28-2023 02:37 PM

I'm sure it's possible if you put enough time and money into it, but I'd rather just buy a manual car instead. Probably much cheaper and easier to do.

IMO a swap makes more sense if the manual was never available from the factory (or if they're very rare i.e. F430).

TXRubicon 02-28-2023 02:52 PM

Can you imagine resale value on a transmission-swapped modern car where both options are readily available on the used market? Might as well have a salvage title.

cbracerx 02-28-2023 09:20 PM

I will say that if you want to try a transmission swap PDK->Manual is the only sane possible direction.

If you are super handy, have a lift, tools and previous engine swap experience, it is possible. It's not economically feasible unless the car is already a salvage title and the manual trans is nearly free. Maybe get a totaled 718 manual to start off the effort as a parts car.

Parts List (not comprehensive)
Manual Trans
Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure Plate, TO Bearing
Pedal Assembly
Clutch Hydraulics (both ends and lines)
Halfshafts
Possibly Trans Mounts and/or rear suspension parts
Programming Service (PWIS)
Etc.

manifold danger 03-01-2023 10:30 PM

Idiotic.

Trade yours in on a manual. Save money, time, sanity.

And a car for the next owner.

GTgears 03-03-2023 09:51 AM

BGB Motorsports went the other direction, converting their 2013 Rolex racer from manual to PDK. IIRC, it required rewiring the car because of the TCU.

the thing I don’t know regarding going the other direction is whether removing the TCU all together or having it there, but no gearbox sending and receiving data, would confuse the car.

Aronis 03-03-2023 05:11 PM

Is swap from Boxster to Cayman possible?

LOL.

Come on I want video on that transmission swap. I have been watching too much of Matt Armstrong fixing wrecks.

Mike

sanderabernathy 03-10-2023 07:20 AM

There are many cases of converting an E46 M3 from the dual-clutch transmission to a 6 speed manual. That's actually not too bad because it's the same transmission. The DCT just has a computer controlled hydraulic add on that does the shifting for you. Take that out, put a clutch pedal assembly in and you're ready to go. But even that has issues as the dashboard includes a bunch of lights and indicators and the related electronics. To do a 100% swap is a good bit of work.

An Audi R8 is something like the E46 M3. It's the same transmission in the manual and automatic deep deep down and you can swap various parts to convert it from auto to manual. FTWGarage has a youtube series on doing the conversion himself. It's 12 segments. He estimated 40-60 hours of build time so $10,000 labor and another $10,000 plus of parts including used parts anywhere he could find them.

Aronis 03-12-2023 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy (Post 18676921)
There are many cases of converting an E46 M3 from the dual-clutch transmission to a 6 speed manual. That's actually not too bad because it's the same transmission. .

SMG transmission was not dual clutch. Single electronically controlled clutch. :)

Mike

tcsracing1 03-13-2023 11:30 PM

BGB converted a GT3RS PDK to manual. It can be done if you want to play god.

Dyim 03-14-2023 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 18684316)
BGB converted a GT3RS PDK to manual. It can be done if you want to play god.

And can write it off as a business expense.