Sponsored by:

Seat Switch Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 04:52 PM
bucky56477
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Seat Switch Advice

An ageing member of my family has a 2019 Boxster GTS that has carbon bucket seats in it. Unfortunately they are having a hard time getting in and out of the car these days and asked if I could help them figure out if the seats can be switched to the regular seats. Has anyone done this, or I imagine the reverse of this? Just wanted to get feedback and where you would recommend for sourcing the regular seats. Thank you for your help!
Old 08-09-2022, 04:56 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 201 Posts

people typically swap/sell them to someone who has the seats they want. i have a pair of 18-way in my car that i would be willing to work out a deal for your family member's buckets. if interested just drop me a line.

good luck.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I am in Florida and have the Sport Seats in my 2021 Spyder, heated and manual fore/aft adjustments and up/down with power recline that I would trade. I could ship you my seats and you could send me yours in the same boxes. And yes, many here have done it...easy-peasy!
Old 08-10-2022, 08:24 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 480 Posts

Yes, can be done easily as noted above. A few ancillary points:

1) Make sure the problem is the seats and just not the overall of height of the car. The various 'regular' seats are only a little bit easier to access/egress than the buckets. Consider whether it's time for an entirely different car - Panamera, etc. It would be a shame to do this and be no better off.

2) Have them go to a dealer and try the other seats. The 4, 14, 18, etc. are all different. Make sure they get what suits them best in shape, material, color match. All the 'regular' seats are not the same.

3) The buckets are worth a lot. I would love a set, but installed they're about $15k, about the price of a beater race car. Every reply, including this one, will offer to 'trade' you (I have black 14 ways). Check the Rennlist marketplace, EB*y, etc. and you will get an idea of fair price differentials.

Last edited by ldamelio; 08-10-2022 at 08:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ldamelio:
Dr.Bill (08-11-2022), rasetsu (08-10-2022), Viper pilot (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 03:43 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
3) The buckets are worth a lot. I would love a set, but installed they're about $15k, about the price of a beater race car. Every reply, including this one, will offer to 'trade' you (I have black 14 ways).
not *every* post. there will be those who want to try to take advantage of the situation by offering a trade however any trade would have to include a significant amount of cash (or something else of comparable value) as well or the entity making the offer is just trying to rip the OP off for instance there is a decent price difference between getting say 2-way manual seats and 14-way power seats and 18-way seats with heat and cooling. every seat has a price point and buckets beat them all!

Last edited by nineball; 08-10-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nineball
not *every* post. there will be those who want to try to take advantage of the situation by offering a trade however any trade would have to include a significant amount of cash (or something else of comparable value) as well or the entity making the offer is just trying to rip the OP off for instance there is a decent price difference between getting say 2-way manual seats and 14-way power seats and 18-way seats with heat and cooling. every seat has a price point and buckets beat them all!
I am sure the OP knows the value of their seats, which needless to say depends on the condition, etc. Based on all factors I still assume my seats plus cash would be needed to make a deal; however, I certainly am not trying to rip anyone off and would not negotiate a deal here anyway - that should be done via PM or email.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:34 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bucky56477
An ageing member of my family has a 2019 Boxster GTS that has carbon bucket seats in it. Unfortunately they are having a hard time getting in and out of the car these days and asked if I could help them figure out if the seats can be switched to the regular seats. Has anyone done this, or I imagine the reverse of this? Just wanted to get feedback and where you would recommend for sourcing the regular seats. Thank you for your help!
If you get serious about doing this you may want to post what color stitching you have and if you have "GTS" embroidered on the headrest since that will eliminate a lot of us, including me!
Old 08-10-2022, 05:57 PM
bucky56477
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you all for the recommendations! I'm positive it's a seat thing as she had no problems getting in and out of a Cayman that I used to have and it had the 18 way sport seats.

Also, I will check with her to see if she wats to keep the seats or is open to selling/trading them. For reference they are in very good condition, I think the car only has about 1500 miles on it. Pretty sure it is red stitching with GTS on the headrest, but I will confirm this as I have not sat in the car in a little while. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2022, 07:16 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,335 Likes on 1,920 Posts

OP, don’t do it —especially with deviated GTS seats.

Besides the cosmetic mismatch…seat swaps are not plug and play. Your buckets have none of the connections needed for other seats.

Yes, it can be done.

Sell the car, get something different.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Dr.Bill (08-11-2022), Galvano (08-13-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:20 AM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

If you can I would keep your existing seats for when you sell the car unless you can get some replacements that well match the interior. Although arguably most GTS drivers want 18way or similar seats, not carbon buckets.

Otherwise I know some 718 drivers who have installed Recaro Sportster GT seats in their cars which I believe are very comfortable and OEM with some BMWs and other makes. I believe the Sportster CS even has optional side airbag and heating. Or maybe you can order some 18 way seats through your Porsche dealer. I was able to order GT2 style carbon buckets through local Porsche centre and have my 18 Ways still in the cupboard.

As someone else mentioned, should be easy enough to get another GTS with 18 ways or swap with someone? They should be plug and play if it is a US seat.

Last edited by donR; 08-11-2022 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:28 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 342 Likes on 222 Posts

I agree w/ @donR ...Keep the buckets for when it comes time to sell the car. Plenty of other seats available for sale in the marketplace.

Quick Reply: Seat Switch Advice