Sponsored by:

What is going on with the 718 market?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 04:37 PM
BoxsirGTS18
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up Great to Read Some Knowledgeable 718 Thoughts

Driving my 4th Boxster, a 2018 718 GTS, and it's been incredible how much negative "engine sound" noise is out there...

I happily traded a 2016 981 S after test-driving the GTS. Faster, more responsive and sharper styling with better electronics integration... what's not to like? Reading this thread was very refreshing, as in, "I guess I'm not crazy." Thanks, all, for sharing your knowledgeable opinions.

BTW, after seeing the Taycan Nurburgring video I'm even looking forward to an EV Boxster, which our local PCA chapter was told is coming next. Bring it on..

[In 1997] "The latest car is always the most beautiful." -Ferry Porsche (of course, he may have been a bit biased.) ;-)
The following 5 users liked this post by BoxsirGTS18:
michael818 (09-03-2019), Porsche Lee (09-25-2019), rasetsu (09-05-2019), wdr911 (09-28-2019), Wine.o (09-03-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:16 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 231 Posts

Delete.

Last edited by seis-speed; 09-06-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Cillacede
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allocations and ordering Cayman 2020

We were interested in purchasing a brand new, built-to-spec Cayman S or GTS, but told by our local dealer that we can't place the order because 2019s are not being made anymore. I've called PCNA and spoke to someone who was very helpful. She said orders for 2020s can be placed at some dealerships (if they have access to the 2020 configurator) with expected production date in Spring 2020 and delivery date 3-4 months after that. I called around to a few dealerships across the country yesterday. One in Dallas said he did not have access to the 2020 online configuration tool yet to build a 2020. He took my email address. I called another dealership in a large urban area on the East Coast where we bought our Macan, and he says he can build a 2020 Cayman S or GTS for us. I hope he wasn't just blowing smoke. He asked me to send him my 2019 build code and he would spec it out with the new 2020 pricing and send it back to me. He said we could put down a deposit and then wait until they are able to put in the order. I assume this is because we wait until there is an allocation spot for us.

Does anyone know how these dealer allocations work for the new Caymans 2020? When I emailed the SA last night, I asked where we would be on the list. Haven't heard back yet. It sounds like he would take our order, then wait for the allocation to place the order. We are not in a rush and are willing to wait.

Also, how does one negotiate in this type of scenario? Because we are going to do European Delivery, it does not matter to us where we buy the car. We could shop around at all the dealerships in the US if we wanted to, until we get the best deal. But what kind of negotiation can we get on a new build? 5-10%?
The following users liked this post:
alex2364 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Porsche911dream
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everytime I see a 718 cayman or boxster on the road, I can't help but think how good it looks especially compared to the previous models.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche911dream:
abarthguy (09-26-2019), Miami Blue (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Melbourne15
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello fellow rennlisters,
I have two new 2019 Caymans at my Porsche dealership. One base manual transmission with sport chrono (auto blipping on downshifts),and one S manual transmission with PASM. Both have sport exhaust. I have driven both and they are fantastic sports cars, as you would expect. PM me for more information. Thank you for your time.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:46 PM
juvesaurabh
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no new 718 allocations 2020

I have been trying to place an order for a new 718 Cayman and was told that the production is stopped for new 718 and there are no allocations as yet. There are also some rumors I heard that Porsche is planning an interim small 6 cylinder 718 until the full EV version comes out a couple of years later. I have a feeling there might be some merit to these rumors otherwise, why would Porsche stop production for that long for a model that's not due for a proper refresh. Maybe they are upgrading the factory for the new powertrain - not sure if it really is a small 6 cylinder or a better 4 cylinder or a surprise early EV!
All these rumors/events have also stopped me from considering the current dealer inventory 718s. If there's a new small 6 cylinder or EV coming next year, the depreciation on the current 4 cylinder 718 would be too steep making them the most worthless caymans/boxster generation.

Anyone has any more concrete info to share?
Old 09-26-2019, 03:55 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by juvesaurabh
I have been trying to place an order for a new 718 Cayman and was told that the production is stopped for new 718 and there are no allocations as yet. There are also some rumors I heard that Porsche is planning an interim small 6 cylinder 718 until the full EV version comes out a couple of years later. I have a feeling there might be some merit to these rumors otherwise, why would Porsche stop production for that long for a model that's not due for a proper refresh. Maybe they are upgrading the factory for the new powertrain - not sure if it really is a small 6 cylinder or a better 4 cylinder or a surprise early EV!
All these rumors/events have also stopped me from considering the current dealer inventory 718s. If there's a new small 6 cylinder or EV coming next year, the depreciation on the current 4 cylinder 718 would be too steep making them the most worthless caymans/boxster generation.

Keep in mind production stopped because production was being being moved to a different factory. Porsche needed more production space in Stuttgart for the 992 so the 718 was shifted to Osnabrueck.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:07 PM
juvesaurabh
7th Gear

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Keep in mind production stopped because production was being being moved to a different factory. Porsche needed more production space in Stuttgart for the 992 so the 718 was shifted to Osnabrueck.
I hope that's true. But the only way that'd make sense is if the new Osnabrueck isn't ready yet for 718 production. I'm no manufacturing guru, but moving production plants wouldn't be a trivial or temporary decision unless it aligns with long term planning.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:08 PM
NukeThemTillThey
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by juvesaurabh

I don't have any more insight or details, but I pretty much reached the same conclusion a few months ago. The upfront price vs. long term value risk was just making me uneasy combined with all of the product rumors, and frankly the arrogance of my local dealer didn't help. Loved the couple of 718 Cayman GTS I drove, great cars. I held off looking for a great deal, not just a good one. Then a focus on refi to my mortgage and finally the C8 Corvette reveal happened. I have a fully refundable deposit on an allocation that should get me a C8 next June, I've seen one at a local reval and overall I'm very happy with that as my daily driver. Pro's and Con's to both the 718 GTS vs. the C8, but C8 is my probable final choice. I'll keep my eye on a few remaining new 2018/2019's out there incase a great deal pops up.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:38 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 913 Likes on 560 Posts

Here's my complete and total baseless speculation. US market will see the NA flat 6 from the GT4 detuned for the GTS and offered with PDK or 6 speed. I think there's a decent chance the US market won't see the base and S again until it returns with a hybrid or all electric drive train. I understand the halt on orders and production due to changing of factories but find it curious that the European market continued to take orders and deliver Cayman T models at least a couple of months after the books closed on the US. Why not load up US inventories more too before the closing unless the US dealers didn't want anymore? I suspect the 2.0T and 2.5T will continue on in Europe and Asia as soon as production resumes to meet the EU's strict consumption and emission standards and Asia's growing demand whereas the US has had a low demand for Caymans and Boxsters for a long time now and our standards aren't nearly as strict so as far as demands are met, I think the US market will be fine without a base or S for a year or two. From what I can tell historically, the GT and T models are launched as the swan song just before the generation bows out.

The fact that does throw a wrench into my theory is the USA EPA emissions and consumption requirements are by vehicle class and I don't know if the base 992 is enough for there to not be a 2.0 or 2.5 Boxtser/Cayman to exist for a model year or two. I don't see how putting a NA flat six across the Cayman/Boxster model line again would achieve the same or better power output as the turbo fours AND achieve the EPA requirements for sports cars unless Porsche gambles again to just satisfy just the sound purists with low torque smaller displacement NA sixes. With no spy shots of any further center exit exhaust models being tested, we are left to believe the Porsche must be planning on continuing with the flat fours largely unchanged.

Would any of the scenarios really tank the values of the hypothetical 3 year run of turbo 4s? Maybe in the very short term but I don't think for the long term. Just look at the current 912 values or even the 944. The purists wrote them off originally too. The NA 6 is a rev monster but the realistic mainstream demand for power from people who actually buy cars new has been moving towards torque for a while now.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:01 PM
juvesaurabh
7th Gear

Originally Posted by NukeThemTillThey
I don't have any more insight or details, but I pretty much reached the same conclusion a few months ago. The upfront price vs. long term value risk was just making me uneasy combined with all of the product rumors, and frankly the arrogance of my local dealer didn't help. Loved the couple of 718 Cayman GTS I drove, great cars. I held off looking for a great deal, not just a good one. Then a focus on refi to my mortgage and finally the C8 Corvette reveal happened. I have a fully refundable deposit on an allocation that should get me a C8 next June, I've seen one at a local reval and overall I'm very happy with that as my daily driver. Pro's and Con's to both the 718 GTS vs. the C8, but C8 is my probable final choice. I'll keep my eye on a few remaining new 2018/2019's out there incase a great deal pops up.
yeah.. I'm also looking at other options for standby.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:05 PM
juvesaurabh
7th Gear

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Here's my complete and total baseless speculation. US market will see the NA flat 6 from the GT4 detuned for the GTS and offered with PDK or 6 speed. I think there's a decent chance the US market won't see the base and S again until it returns with a hybrid or all electric drive train. I understand the halt on orders and production due to changing of factories but find it curious that the European market continued to take orders and deliver Cayman T models at least a couple of months after the books closed on the US. Why not load up US inventories more too before the closing unless the US dealers didn't want anymore? I suspect the 2.0T and 2.5T will continue on in Europe and Asia as soon as production resumes to meet the EU's strict consumption and emission standards and Asia's growing demand whereas the US has had a low demand for Caymans and Boxsters for a long time now and our standards aren't nearly as strict so as far as demands are met, I think the US market will be fine without a base or S for a year or two. From what I can tell historically, the GT and T models are launched as the swan song just before the generation bows out.

The fact that does throw a wrench into my theory is the USA EPA emissions and consumption requirements are by vehicle class and I don't know if the base 992 is enough for there to not be a 2.0 or 2.5 Boxtser/Cayman to exist for a model year or two. I don't see how putting a NA flat six across the Cayman/Boxster model line again would achieve the same or better power output as the turbo fours AND achieve the EPA requirements for sports cars unless Porsche gambles again to just satisfy just the sound purists with low torque smaller displacement NA sixes. With no spy shots of any further center exit exhaust models being tested, we are left to believe the Porsche must be planning on continuing with the flat fours largely unchanged.

Would any of the scenarios really tank the values of the hypothetical 3 year run of turbo 4s? Maybe in the very short term but I don't think for the long term. Just look at the current 912 values or even the 944. The purists wrote them off originally too. The NA 6 is a rev monster but the realistic mainstream demand for power from people who actually buy cars new has been moving towards torque for a while now.

Very thoughtful anaylsis. Maybe they keep the base 718 with 4 cylinder but decide to put a small 6 in the GTS. Hope Porsche doesn't keep this suspense for too long and put an end to all of us speculating!
Old 09-30-2019, 04:45 AM
RobMtz
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu

I also guess is going to happen, but not in a GTS badge, more like the "Touring pack" or something along those lines. 6cyl without the wing, without fabric door handle and without the GT-class suspension.
GTS will remain in sale in the EU and other markets and the "Touring" will live together, that's my guess therefore the lineup will expand but not replace the GTS. (I also agree that Base, S and GTS, probably will disappear from the US market)

Plot Twist: 2020 Cayman Turbo S and 2020 Boxster Turbo S .... without an actual turbo! only NA. 6 cyl. ( Taycan Marketing team shifted to 718 )
Old 09-30-2019, 10:49 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RobMtz
Plot Twist: 2020 Cayman Turbo S and 2020 Boxster Turbo S .... without an actual turbo! only NA. 6 cyl. ( Taycan Marketing team shifted to 718 )
Porsche is starting to lose their minds while trying to stay relevant in the future market when its historic flat 6 finally falls prey to electric power. I'm starting to question Porsche's decisions more and more. Putting turbo badges on the Taycan is like admitting that no one actually cares that the name should have something to do with the power plant. I'm not advocating holding back the future. Let it come. Replace all ICE cars with full electric power. Just don't use words associated with ICE power plants. Nor use the wrong word in association of a given power plant like above. I'm sure someday I'll own an electric car. Possible a Porsche. But it's the older models, MY16 and earlier, that I will always remain the most passionate about. Porsche is sucking the fun out of them. The only exception is the Carrera T, but even it could have been more (or actually less since Porsche should have gone to greater lengths to make it lighter).
Old 09-30-2019, 12:27 PM
fantom
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Porsche is starting to lose their minds while trying to stay relevant....
For sure, especially their marketing manipulations....growing very thin, taking advantage of a very loyal customer base.

Quick Reply: What is going on with the 718 market?