What is going on with the 718 market?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 05:22 PM
2018C718GTS
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I'm not bashing them.
you do realize your original post literally said, “At this point, the only 718 models that will be "worth" any value will be the 4.0 GTS, GT4, and Spyder.“
I argued that point by saying the cheapest used 2.5 GTS Across the country on cars.com is listed for 70k. I doubt it has to sell for much less given the scarcity. Does $70,000 meet your definition of “any value”? I’d be pumped to sell mine for that considering I paid 74k.

you seem to think that the 6 cylinder is the only thing holding the 718 back from selling more. Look at any 2 seater sports coupe from 2000-2020 and check the trends. There’s only a very select handful that have done well.
there’s a reason Toyota didn’t come out with a Supra 10 years ago and when They finally did, they just subbed it from BMW. There’s a reason the Nissan Z hasn’t been refreshed in 10 years.

hint: it’s not the engine choice. It’s just that sales in this segment are going down. The 6 cylinder engine isn’t magically going to change that.

The following 3 users liked this post by 2018C718GTS:
Chester7 (07-30-2020), Dry Side (07-29-2020), ldamelio (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 05:24 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018C718GTS
luckily for the 718 market those people are dying off. Anyone who grew up in the 90s idolized the word “turbo”. Maybe some old heads can’t drive a 718 because of it, but let’s face it, those people are the 911 or bust crowd anyways.
718 surely was not a sales success but there’s very few 2 seater sports coupes that are. It’s not a good model to try to make money on for a manufacturer. NA 6 or not, Cayman sales are never going to explode up. It’s a dying segment in general.
718s will resell just fine once younger people are able to afford them either through depreciation or them just growing up and earning more.
the only fact I was trying to argue was the person I responded essentially calling the cars worthless and no value whatsoever. That’s just asinine.
BTW, I didn't say that the cars are worthless and have no value. I did say that if anyone is planning to buy these cars, they should try to get a very deep discount. I also did say that the 718 model line isn't selling as well as Porsche had hoped. I agree that a 2 seat sports car with limited cargo space and more focus on sport than touring comfort is going to have a very limited audience. This space is dying off. Everybody is buying SUV's and especially mid-size SUV's.

I read through some of the thread and saw someone say they bought a car priced at I think it was $70k+ for about $50k. I think it might have been a CPO. I also read a post that someone said these cars are going to appreciate in value. I will say with 100% certainty that the base, S and turbo GTS will NOT appreciate in value. That poster may have a very loving feeling towards his car but his opinion alone will not will the value of the base, S and turbo GTS to appreciate in value.

You can debate all you want with me about how much your car is worth. You can say it's worth $50k, $100k, or even $200k but a car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. At the end of the day, my original post was merely to speak on the subject and title of this thread about what is going on with the 718 market and to suggest to anybody in the market to buy a base, S, or turbo GTS to aim for a deep discount.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:41 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

you do realize your original post literally said, “At this point, the only 718 models that will be "worth" any value will be the 4.0 GTS, GT4, and Spyder.“
I argued that point by saying the cheapest used 2.5 GTS Across the country on cars.com is listed for 70k. I doubt it has to sell for much less given the scarcity. Does $70,000 meet your definition of “any value”? I’d be pumped to sell mine for that considering I paid 74k.

you seem to think that the 6 cylinder is the only thing holding the 718 back from selling more. Look at any 2 seater sports coupe from 2000-2020 and check the trends. There’s only a very select handful that have done well.
there’s a reason Toyota didn’t come out with a Supra 10 years ago and when They finally did, they just subbed it from BMW. There’s a reason the Nissan Z hasn’t been refreshed in 10 years.

hint: it’s not the engine choice. It’s just that sales in this segment are going down. The 6 cylinder engine isn’t magically going to change that.
Just because a car is priced at $70k doesn't mean that it what the car is worth. A car or anything for that matter is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it; not what someone wants to sell it for. The $70k price is the selling price. Supply is part of the market price equation but regardless of weather there are 3000 718, 300 718, or 30 718 for sale in the market if there are zero buyers, you can say that supply is limited to only 30 718 for sale in all of the US but with zero buyers, nobody will demand the limited supply of 30 718 or 3000 718 in inventory or in your example 53 caymans. Zero demand of 30 cars or zero demand out of 3000 cars is still zero demand.

You're over simplifying why Toyota didn't come out with the Supra 10 years ago. Toyota will not produce any car unless they make money. A 2 seat sports car is a very fickle market especially for a brand like Toyota who is known for their Camry's and Prius'. They weren't going to enter the market without a partner to absorb some of the cost and in their early research they decided that any kind of new Supra would not exist unless it had an inline 6. Bad timing for Toyota but I've been getting emails from Toyota that are offering 0% financing on only the Supra. Great driving cars. All reviews have been positive except for the fact that it's a BMW Toyota Supra.

I would say that if you're trying to gauge what your car is worth, rather than viewing these for sale ads, you should be viewing cars that have actually sold. That will give you a more accurate idea of value.

As far as my comment about the 4.0 GTS, GT$, and Spyder being "worth" anything, time will tell if these will appreciate in value over time. As least in reading Excellence, they're showing that the 2016 GT4 and Spyder are holding their values quite well. They're showing to not be losing 40% of value from just driving off the lot. I'd say that would be constitute being "worth" something and not following the normal depreciation curve of cars as you drive them off the lots.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:42 PM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

luckily for the 718 market those people are dying off. Anyone who grew up in the 90s idolized the word “turbo”. Maybe some old heads can’t drive a 718 because of it, but let’s face it, those people are the 911 or bust crowd anyways.
718 surely was not a sales success but there’s very few 2 seater sports coupes that are. It’s not a good model to try to make money on for a manufacturer. NA 6 or not, Cayman sales are never going to explode up. It’s a dying segment in general.
718s will resell just fine once younger people are able to afford them either through depreciation or them just growing up and earning more.
the only fact I was trying to argue was the person I responded essentially calling the cars worthless and no value whatsoever. That’s just asinine.
As I said, sensitive. They've bought one of these and nobody can think they're anything less than the greatest cars on earth or that person is wrong and bashing.

For the record, I was born in 90 and I'll take a NA motor over a turbo one any day of the week (and have owned multiple of both).
Old 07-30-2020, 12:20 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
FWIW, another data point...just got back from a dealer local to me, who has a "Demo" 2019 GTS with PDK, which has 1,900 miles, can be sold "as new", but only 3.25 years or so left on factory warranty, and they are asking "sticker, because there aren't any/many others around". To which I replied, "good luck with that".
I've been in the market for CPO 18/19 Cayman GTS for the last two months and am not seeing any deals for cars <70k at the moment. Over the last two months I've seen basically same cars for sales go from ridiculous asking prices of in the mid-80s (some even 90s) to high 70s and just sit. What I find even more interesting is the dozen or so 2019 CGTS that are listed as new. I guess dealerships are hoping someone is foolish enough to pay MSRP on cars that were reportedly sold for 20% off of MSRP when new.

It has been annoying dealing with a lot of the dealers who treat these relatively undesirable cars as if they are numbered cars ie Speedsters by describing them as "rare". Not sure why most salesmen / dealerships aren't motivated to move cars, but I'm open to waiting until the numbers are more realistic. I'm sure the numbers will be dropping as soon as the 4.0 GTS arrive...
The following users liked this post:
Asker509 (08-01-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 05:28 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,292 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by RADONCulous
It has been annoying dealing with a lot of the dealers who treat these relatively undesirable cars as if they are numbered cars ie Speedsters by describing them as "rare". Not sure why most salesmen / dealerships aren't motivated to move cars, but I'm open to waiting until the numbers are more realistic. I'm sure the numbers will be dropping as soon as the 4.0 GTS arrive...
Why on earth would you get annoyed about buying a relatively undesirable car?
Old 07-30-2020, 07:34 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by RADONCulous
I've been in the market for CPO 18/19 Cayman GTS for the last two months and am not seeing any deals for cars <70k at the moment. Over the last two months I've seen basically same cars for sales go from ridiculous asking prices of in the mid-80s (some even 90s) to high 70s and just sit. What I find even more interesting is the dozen or so 2019 CGTS that are listed as new. I guess dealerships are hoping someone is foolish enough to pay MSRP on cars that were reportedly sold for 20% off of MSRP when new.

They are rare in the grand scheme of things. Someone stated 53 available across the country. That's not a lot of cars. Whatever your opinion on the 4cyl, the dealer has the car and you don't. He is therefore in the driver's seat. If you want the car, buy the damn thing. This isn't a widget from Wal-Mart, it's a sports car.

Last edited by CaymanMatt; 07-30-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Chester7 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 07:51 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
As I said, sensitive. They've bought one of these and nobody can think they're anything less than the greatest cars on earth or that person is wrong and bashing.

For the record, I was born in 90 and I'll take a NA motor over a turbo one any day of the week (and have owned multiple of both).
And you, sir, appear to like stirring the pot. There are folks who prefer turbos, I am one. I turbocharged a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am in 1978 and never looked back. Good day, sir.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:06 AM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chester7
And you, sir, appear to like stirring the pot. There are folks who prefer turbos, I am one. I turbocharged a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am in 1978 and never looked back. Good day, sir.
That's awesome. My entire point is people can prefer whatever they want, just because you like something different doesn't make you bad. This is a car forum, it's meant for people to share their opinions. Just because they're different from yours doesn't mean you need to get your feelings hurt.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:50 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

I was born in 1955, grew up in Detroit literally surrounded by what would today be the ultimate collection if all in one place. Split window Corvettes, 1964 GTO, Mustang Cobra Jets, Hemi Cuda's/Roadrunner/GTX's, even one of the original Ford GTs that was unfortunately left to rot in its driveway. Etc. Freaking awesome cars that sounded even more awesome. Put a flat-6 against a hemi or big block Chevy and it'll be like a mouse against a cat - not a chance for the 6 pot. It's all expectations. I was the oddball though in my neighborhood as I always liked small cars with small engines. I've been driving 4cyl cars essentially since 1973. A 365hp 4cyl with gobs of torque from 1500rpm is the "cat's meow" for me.

MOO and FWIW
Cap Smith (08-14-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:59 AM
2018C718GTS
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

I’m not sure why you’re trying to flame by calling me sensitive. The person I responded to said the 6 will outsell the 4, I’m arguing that point with him. He makes other good points and is generally enjoyable to go back and forth with. You’re just interjecting to be a dick.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2018C718GTS:
Chester7 (07-31-2020), Dry Side (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 10:32 AM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

I’m not sure why you’re trying to flame by calling me sensitive. The person I responded to said the 6 will outsell the 4, I’m arguing that point with him. He makes other good points and is generally enjoyable to go back and forth with. You’re just interjecting to be a dick.
Lol. 😢 not sure what "trying to flame" means, but you're proving my point.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:18 PM
Dgkli
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Experience shows that most Porsches depreciate quickly from new (especially given how most are driven and cared for), regardless of what we read about theoretical depreciation. Someone might find a deal now and then, but I think it's safe to say that no one is going to conserve funds by buying a new mass market Porsche, no matter how many cylinders it has.

So let's say you want a 2-seat sports car. (Or, OK, a 2+2). What are you going to buy? How much is it worth to you? Are you going to waste your time negotiating with yourself about the true "value" of the car, or are you going to ask yourself what you can afford vs what the car is worth to you?

I am tremendously enjoying driving my CPO 718 BGTS. Even more than I enjoyed driving my previous 981 CPO BS (which was a lot!) And yes, I do know what kind of motor is behind my head, and I recognize the difference in how it sounds and performs.) I feel very lucky that I can afford this car, and I am not spending my time worried about whether I paid too much; I am spending my time driving it. (And yes, the fact that both were CPO tells you how I personally think Porsche sports cars are best bought, if bought off the lot. But that's just my own personal priorities).

So, it is great to know what the "new" 718's out there are "really' worth (and of course, I agree, a dealer's explanation of why a given car is worth the asking price needs to be treated with extreme skepticism). But if no one will sell it to you for what it's "really" worth, what does that do for you? As someone else said, the seller has the car, and you don't. If you want a new or newish 6-cylinder Boxster or Cayman, I understand: but what will that cost you? (Hint: a bit more than a 4-cylinder).

Just my $.02.

The following 5 users liked this post by Dgkli:
BoxsirGTS18 (07-30-2020), Chester7 (07-31-2020), Dry Side (07-30-2020), loneregister (07-30-2020), strangelogic4 (08-26-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 02:44 PM
loneregister
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Just posted asking this question in another thread. Asking for some data points to help me in my research.
100% agree, if you can't buy a car for what you think it's worth - then don't buy it. It's obviously worth more to the seller, that it is to you.

That being said, would love to hear some information either posted or PM as I research.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:53 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgkli
...If you want a new or newish 6-cylinder Boxster or Cayman, I understand: but what will that cost you? (Hint: a bit more than a 4-cylinder).

Just my $.02.

I don't know...$96k asking price (and also full MSRP) for an "new" leftover '19 CGTS " with 1,900 miles, and "less than full factory warranty period" is right up there with an new 6-cyl. Decisions...decisions.

Quick Reply: What is going on with the 718 market?