Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Roof Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Spyder Roof Mechanism

Does anyone know just how bad the roof actually is? For example, is it fully insulated and sealed from the elements? It electrically locks and unlocks, so just how difficult is it. My first boxster roof was manual and I got by, just reaching behind me! Also, is the sound insulation really diminished?
Old 07-07-2019, 02:14 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Have 981 spyder for 2-3 years Roof is fine in any kind of weather. And honestly can lower roof in 30 seconds not a big deal at all. Only issue is you need to get out of car and it seems to bother some people.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Originally Posted by manouk
Have 981 spyder for 2-3 years Roof is fine in any kind of weather. And honestly can lower roof in 30 seconds not a big deal at all. Only issue is you need to get out of car and it seems to bother some people.
Good to confirm, thanks. impression that it's just a loose rag top canopy but if it fits snug and seals with at least some insulation from the road noise, I'm good with that. Had 3 boxsters, a 987 with manual roof, a 981 and then a 718, which was a brilliant car except for the engine sound, now in a 911 Cab but want to go back to the roadster with a six pot. I don't track but it wouldn't be a daily driver or long distance cruiser, so I'll try for an allocation.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:48 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 67 Posts

Can the car be driven without the roof flaps/wings being secured to the body leaving them plugged into the top? Reason being having to put the top up quicker like in the rain would save time. They do not seem functional like in the original 987 Spyder.

Also does anyone know if the rear deckled 718 Spyder can be opened with the flaps/wings in place on the deckled or do they have to be removed to access the rear trunk

Thanks
Old 07-07-2019, 03:37 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Can’t speak for 718 but should be same or better than 981 you won’t regret getting an allocation imo.
About having flaps loose never drove with roof up and flaps loose but I would think the flaps would b moving around and hitting other parts of car thus making some unwanted noises.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:25 PM
taffin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
Can the car be driven without the roof flaps/wings being secured to the body leaving them plugged into the top? Reason being having to put the top up quicker like in the rain would save time. They do not seem functional like in the original 987 Spyder.

Also does anyone know if the rear deckled 718 Spyder can be opened with the flaps/wings in place on the deckled or do they have to be removed to access the rear trunk

Thanks
they are required to tension the roof.

like the 981, they will need to be unclipped to open rear trunk
Old 07-08-2019, 05:43 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by taffin
they are required to tension the roof.

like the 981, they will need to be unclipped to open rear trunk
Ty
Old 07-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Hamstonian
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t think anyone addressed your sound insulation question. It is not insulated much or at all. You hear much more wind, road, and traffic noise through in than with a regular boxster top. On the plus side, the engine noise is much quieter when not pushing it. The engine sounds amazing, but has no drone and is pretty quiet at low RPM. Collectively, the noise isn’t that different in volume, just mix when just cruising around.

It is actually pretty easy to operate and not a big deal. Never had a leak or fogging.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:15 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamstonian
I don’t think anyone addressed your sound insulation question. It is not insulated much or at all. You hear much more wind, road, and traffic noise through in than with a regular boxster top. On the plus side, the engine noise is much quieter when not pushing it. The engine sounds amazing, but has no drone and is pretty quiet at low RPM. Collectively, the noise isn’t that different in volume, just mix when just cruising around.

It is actually pretty easy to operate and not a big deal. Never had a leak or fogging.
Exactly. I don't THINK there is any "insulation" on the roof at all and all the mechanicals are exposed. It's a loud cabin, but in a GOOD WAY. Get the Burmester with the noise compensation button... it works imho.

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 07-10-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typing while sleeping
Old 07-10-2019, 12:42 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter80
Does anyone know just how bad the roof actually is? For example, is it fully insulated and sealed from the elements? It electrically locks and unlocks, so just how difficult is it. My first boxster roof was manual and I got by, just reaching behind me! Also, is the sound insulation really diminished?
FYI, info on the top from Porsche’s press release for the 981 Spyder:

Press Information
Porsche Boxster Spyder

The hood of the new Boxster Spyder
Purist lightweight design hood with simplified operation
The newly developed, manual lightweight design hood of the new Porsche Boxster Spyder continues the purist design of the previous model with its characteristic open fins and rear lid with two distinctive streamliners. Operation of the hood was simplified and is faster, which enhances its everyday practicality.
Lightweight design prioritized over convenience
In the previous model of the Porsche Boxster Spyder, the hood was designed as an extremely lightweight emergency hood. Its everyday practicality was compromised by its manual ope- ration in 15 operating steps, its limited suitability for automated car washing and a recom- mended maximum speed of 200 km/h when the hood is up.

Along with intelligent lightweight design, another top priority in the specification for the hood of the new Porsche Boxster Spyder was to correct the mentioned limitations of the previous model and upgrade the new Spyder hood to the level of other Porsche hoods. This meant no restriction on top speed when the hood is raised and the ability to run the car through an automatic car wash like the normal Boxster.

The newly developed, lightweight Spyder hood frame features a lightweight design consisting of magnesium, aluminum, plastic and – where necessary – high-strength steel. By using a polymer rear windscreen and omitting a hood drive system, insulation, rooflining and heavy acoustic hood material, weight was reduced an additional ten kilograms compared to the already lightweight Boxster hood. The specified targets of permitting automatic car washing and driving at top speed are fully satisfied by the use of full-fledged seals and by tying the hood cover material to every cross-bow.

Simplified and faster operation
Hood operation is still manual, but it has been simplified significantly on the new Boxster Spyder compared to the previous model. It is no longer necessary to disassemble the hood from the vehicle due to the full-fledged, lightweight hood frame. The time needed to raise or stow the hood has been reduced from three minutes previously to under one minute now. This is accomplished by reducing the number of operating steps to fewer than half of the previous number, combined with more intuitive operation. Moreover, the electrically activated hood latch and the two pressurized gas springs of the hood frame reduce the manual operating forces required to raise or stow the hood.

The procedure for lowering the hood in detail:

1. Electrically unlatch the hood and rear lid by pushing hood button or using the vehicle key.
2. Manually detach ends of fins from the rear lid and insert them into the pocket provided for them on the hood.
3. Open rear lid.
4. Manually stow the hood.
5. Close rear lid.
6. Close hood cover flaps, left and right.

The procedure for raising the hood in detail:

1. Unlatch rear lid electrically by pushbutton and open manually.
2. Open hood cover flaps, left and right.
3. Raise hood manually.
4. Close rear lid.
5. Detach ends of fins from hood and insert them on rear lid.
6. Latch hood to windscreen frame by hood button or vehicle key.

The following users liked this post:
jeanrabelais (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:00 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Thanks. Pretty comprehensive. Looks big improvement on 981. I'm still a bit sceptical, had an MG with yellowed plastic window back in the day, sure porsche is better. All that weight saving on the car yet it still weighs a lot more than a 718s. Nice engine.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Thanks. Pretty comprehensive. Looks big improvement on 981. I'm still a bit sceptical, had an MG with yellowed plastic window back in the day, sure porsche is better. All that weight saving on the car yet it still weighs a lot more than a 718s. Nice engine.
That was 981 material. The improvements listed were vs the 987 Spyder. There should be no noticeable diff between 718 and 981 Spyder tops.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Originally Posted by hf1
That was 981 material. The improvements listed were vs the 987 Spyder. There should be no noticeable diff between 718 and 981 Spyder tops.
Ah, of course, didn't notice that. I'm not really into fast and furious but I do like a nice flat six and I do like the 718, except for that rattly engine. Had a 987, 981 and 718S but traded up after a year to a 911S with PDK. Fabulous GT car but I do miss the manual sporty little boxster. Anyone have thoughts on whether a 718 Touring model with cabin refinements and the six might happen.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Anyone have thoughts on whether a 718 Touring model with cabin refinements and the six might happen.
There have been many indications and spy pics that a NA 6cyl 718 (or an auto-top Spyder) with the newly developed NA engine may be coming soon -- but no firm or official pronouncements yet.
The following users liked this post:
Peter80 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:39 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 629 Posts

I noticed that the 718 Spyder has a rear defog button (I think the 981 Spyder did too). How does the rear defog work with a plastic rear window without the glued-on resistance wiring? Could it be that pressing the button just makes the dash vents blow harder?

Quick Reply: Spyder Roof Mechanism