Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Roof Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I noticed that the 718 Spyder has a rear defog button (I think the 981 Spyder did too). How does the rear defog work with a plastic rear window without the glued-on resistance wiring? Could it be that pressing the button just makes the dash vents blow harder?
Pressing that button on the 981 Spyder merely results in the dash vents blowing harder, as you guessed. The defroster does work wonderfully to clear a fogged windscreen and/or side windows in a matter of seconds.

The rear plastic window does not have a defrost/defog element running through it (and I've never seen a plastic rear window on any convertible that did). After three + years of ownership, I've never had the rear window fog up.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:37 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I was just thinking that I need to clarify my objection about the Spyder roof. It’s not a preference for auto vs. manual per se, but more like a preference for sitting vs. dancing around the car. I’d be perfectly fine with a lightweight, fully manual top that can be opened/closed without leaving the driver’s seat, a la Miata:

I bet a similar Boxster manual top would be lighter than the Spyder’s. Plus, not having to leave your seat to open/close the top saves unnecessary extra wear on the seat bolsters, especially LWBS, even when using proper “levitating” ingress/egress technique.
The following users liked this post:
JPMD (07-14-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:14 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Pressing that button on the 981 Spyder merely results in the dash vents blowing harder, as you guessed. The defroster does work wonderfully to clear a fogged windscreen and/or side windows in a matter of seconds.

The rear plastic window does not have a defrost/defog element running through it (and I've never seen a plastic rear window on any convertible that did). After three + years of ownership, I've never had the rear window fog up.
Thanks. So I guess the rear defog button is really a placebo since it does the same thing as the front defog button. Pretty funny (and ridiculous).

Originally Posted by hf1
I was just thinking that I need to clarify my objection about the Spyder roof. It’s not a preference for auto vs. manual per se, but more like a preference for sitting vs. dancing around the car. I’d be perfectly fine with a lightweight, fully manual top that can be opened/closed without leaving the driver’s seat, a la Miata:

I bet a similar Boxster manual top would be lighter than the Spyder’s. Plus, not having to leave your seat to open/close the top saves unnecessary extra wear on the seat bolsters, especially LWBS, even when using proper “levitating” ingress/egress technique.
Agree, a manual top that is operable from the cockpit would be ideal. I'd prefer that over a power top. However, I can certainly live with the Spyder top mechanism the way it is. I just think the plastic rear window is pure, pointless idiocy to be blunt.
RobMtz (07-17-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 12:25 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
There have been many indications and spy pics that a NA 6cyl 718 (or an auto-top Spyder) with the newly developed NA engine may be coming soon -- but no firm or official pronouncements yet.
Wow... that would be ideal for me. Could you share the source?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I noticed that the 718 Spyder has a rear defog button (I think the 981 Spyder did too). How does the rear defog work with a plastic rear window without the glued-on resistance wiring? Could it be that pressing the button just makes the dash vents blow harder?

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Pressing that button on the 981 Spyder merely results in the dash vents blowing harder, as you guessed.
Thanks. So I guess the rear defog button is really a placebo since it does the same thing as the front defog button. Pretty funny (and ridiculous).
I was wrong when I said above that pressing the rear defrost button results in the blower going to max level. Got my buttons mixed up. Apologies for the bad intel. To clarify:

The windshield defrost button when pushed results in the blower coming on full strength at maximum heat, as shown below:

The rear window defrost button does NOT result in the blower coming on, but according to the owners manual DOES activate heating of the rear view mirrors. The manual says it also heats the rear window, but as indicated previously that doesn’t apply to the Spyder that has the plastic rear window.

So the rear defrost button is not a placebo and it does not do the same thing as the front defrost button. Best I can gather, on the Spyder the rear defrost button just heats the exterior mirrors.

Sorry for the confusion.
Denny Swift (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 05:16 AM
RobMtz
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree, a manual top that is operable from the cockpit would be ideal. I'd prefer that over a power top. However, I can certainly live with the Spyder top mechanism the way it is. I just think the plastic rear window is pure, pointless idiocy to be blunt.
I hope is made from a really really fancy plastic composite that can endure sunshine without getting "foggy" after 5+ years.
I mean all the other materials are carefully selected, I hope this plastic part has some sort of treatment up to standards. So it should not be a showstopper in the long term. owners would not be happy to replace the full folding roof after a few years due to the plastic window getting burnout by the sun...

Old 07-17-2019, 07:36 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
Wow... that would be ideal for me. Could you share the source?
Here and there on RL and the internet. Also wink-wink hinted in interviews with Porsche folks. Haven’t kept the links. Also, would make sense to use the newly developed engine to amortize its development cost and to boost 718 sales which have not been stellar. No reason to condition getting the best NA 718 engine and suspension with either a manual dancing top or a wing, especially the former.
OldJedi (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 627 Posts

Thanks SuicideJockey. Interesting that they couldn’t print a Spyder-specific manual for that section. Even the drawing shows a pdk, which obviously wasn’t available in the 981 Spyder.

Originally Posted by RobMtz
I hope is made from a really really fancy plastic composite that can endure sunshine without getting "foggy" after 5+ years.
I mean all the other materials are carefully selected, I hope this plastic part has some sort of treatment up to standards. So it should not be a showstopper in the long term. owners would not be happy to replace the full folding roof after a few years due to the plastic window getting burnout by the sun...
A really really fancy material that can endure sunshine without getting foggy after 5+ years is called GLASS.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 AM
RobMtz
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks SuicideJockey. Interesting that they couldn’t print a Spyder-specific manual for that section. Even the drawing shows a pdk, which obviously wasn’t available in the 981 Spyder.

A really really fancy material that can endure sunshine without getting foggy after 5+ years is called GLASS.
even a MX-5 with the "gram strategy" was able to put some glass in the folding roof ... seems that Porsche likes to deliver this small inconsistencies so we can debate in forums and not get bored

Quick Reply: Spyder Roof Mechanism