718 Cayman Maintenance Costs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 PM
Sam'sPanda
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 718 Cayman Maintenance Costs

Hey All,

I have a few questions regarding maintenance on my 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman. Your answers will shape my expectations for future maintenance. This is my first Porsche vehicle and I am not savvy regarding the technical aspects of vehicles, so please be patient with me.

Context and Background: I live in Texas, USA. I leased this vehicle in April 2017, a little over 2 years ago, from one of three Porsche dealerships in my city. Thus far I have averaged around 5,000 miles per year, and I use the vehicle as my daily driver. My cumulative mileage is slightly over 10,000 miles. I took the vehicle for its one-year maintenance to the same dealership from which I leased the vehicle. After picking up the vehicle, I decided not to return to this dealership because I disliked their staff, attitude, and service. Almost one week ago, I dropped off the vehicle for its two-year maintenance at one of the other dealerships in my city. Let's call the dealership from which I leased the vehicle and which performed the one-year maintenance Dealer 1, the dealer which is presently servicing my vehicle for the two-year maintenance Dealer 2, and the third dealer in my city Dealer 3. When I dropped off the vehicle for maintenance, Dealer 2 presented me with 3 maintenance packages, all within $80 of one another around $2,100. Due to the similarity of the prices, I selected the premium package and left. I didn't pay for the maintenance that day; I merely selected a package and signed for the selection. The packages listed at least 10-15 items or more, but I don't remember details.

The vehicle did require some extra attention in the following ways: The seatbelt tensioner was weak and sometimes failed to pull in the seatbelt; the AC was also weak and the passenger-side AC produced noticeably hotter air than the driver-side AC at every temperature setting; and the tire pressure sensors seemed off by the amount of 4 psi.

It was not until I reflected on the situation that evening that I was bothered by the price of the maintenance. I called the two other dealers in my city to different results. Dealer 3 quoted me a price of $1,090. Dealer 1 quoted me packages of $1,127, $1,273, and $1,303. I understood from Dealer 1 that, depending on the cause of the AC problem, a separate "AC maintenance" may increase the price by $400.

I called Porsche North America twice with the intent of uncovering Porsche's MSRP for maintenance. One agent claimed Porsche does not have MSRPs for maintenance, and the other claimed Porsche has an MSRP but will not disclose it to consumers.

Other Information: The vehicle is still under warranty. I understand Porsche's warranty covers repair costs but not maintenance costs. I do not believe I purchased Porsche's pre-paid maintenance plan, though I will have to confirm this.

Questions:

1. For those that do not maintain their own vehicles, how much are your dealer's maintenance fees for one-year, two-year, and three-year maintenance?

2. Is Dealer 2 stuffing the maintenance service and/or overcharging me?

3. Do you suggest I demand Dealer 2 match the pricing of the other dealers even though I signed for the maintenance package?

4. Does Porsche North America have an MSRP for maintenance services?

Thanks for your help, Porsche drivers.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

What "package" did you agree to buy? Just the currently due maintenance or also future maintenance? Simplest thing to do is get a copy of what you agreed to and compare to the maintenance booklet that came with the car.

At 2 yrs and 10k miles you should be due for oil/filter change, particle filter and pre-filter and brake fluid flush. There is a list of checks and inspections normally done that the dealer also charges for- like visual check of the brakes etc. At a city dealer this could be in the $1k range. Sounds like you are being upsold on other stuff.

The other items you mention should be warranty work. Warranty doesn't cover wear and tear but at 2 yr/ 10kmi that should be negligible for the seat belt. As for the AC, there is no scheduled maintenance. If it is not functioning properly that should be warranty work. That's the position I'd take.
The following users liked this post:
Sam'sPanda (07-05-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:19 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

If you are in Houston send me a private message I will direct you to those who can help you.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Sam'sPanda
4th Gear

Originally Posted by zedcat
What "package" did you agree to buy? Just the currently due maintenance or also future maintenance? Simplest thing to do is get a copy of what you agreed to and compare to the maintenance booklet that came with the car.

At 2 yrs and 10k miles you should be due for oil/filter change, particle filter and pre-filter and brake fluid flush. There is a list of checks and inspections normally done that the dealer also charges for- like visual check of the brakes etc. At a city dealer this could be in the $1k range. Sounds like you are being upsold on other stuff.

The other items you mention should be warranty work. Warranty doesn't cover wear and tear but at 2 yr/ 10kmi that should be negligible for the seat belt. As for the AC, there is no scheduled maintenance. If it is not functioning properly that should be warranty work. That's the position I'd take.
I agreed to a roughly $2,100 package covering the two-year maintenance only. It did raise my eyebrow, but because this is my first Porsche I brushed it aside. Yes, I will bring my maintenance booklet to compare. Thanks for the suggestion.

I see. Right, after doing some research it sounds like they're upselling me on unnecessary service. I'm planning to negotiate their price, and I'll be more knowledgeable in the future.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, zed.

Originally Posted by dmk2
If you are in Houston send me a private message I will direct you to those who can help you.
Thanks, dmk. Yes, I'm in Houston. I sent you a private message. Looking forward to hearing your recommendations.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:36 PM
alex2364
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Dealers will always try to up sell you on unnecessary maintenance items. This isn't something exclusive to Porsche. Always know exactly what you need before showing up, whether it's a Toyota or Porsche.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Sam'sPanda
4th Gear

Originally Posted by alex2364
Dealers will always try to up sell you on unnecessary maintenance items. This isn't something exclusive to Porsche. Always know exactly what you need before showing up, whether it's a Toyota or Porsche.
True. I'll spare you the long explanation but suffice it to say I've had little contact with car dealerships thus far.

I'll be more armed with knowledge in future visits. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:08 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Only a point of reference. I just picked-up my 2017 718 from its 2-year service at Sonnen. $848 total.
Sam'sPanda (07-05-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:27 PM
Sam'sPanda
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Only a point of reference. I just picked-up my 2017 718 from its 2-year service at Sonnen. $848 total.
Ah I see. Very on point. Thank you for the point of reference.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:42 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Find a good independent mechanic to do the maintenance work. In my experience you can usually save 50% over dealership costs.
Sam'sPanda (07-05-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:56 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

Just responded to your PM. Forget the dealer.

Get in touch with the person who’s mobile number I sent you.

You wont need a dealer again.
Sam'sPanda (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The AC should be covered under warranty! Is the Porsche dealer really trying to pass this cost on to you? If this is true, Porsche's customer service has reached a new low.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Loads of caution here. Your Porsche dealer should be avoided like the plague. Your AC should be covered, period. If the dealer now, once confronted, agrees to fix the AC under warranty then you have positive proof that he was simply trying to scam you. Find another dealer or independent.

Quick Reply: 718 Cayman Maintenance Costs