Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone explain the basics of the 2018 and 2019 infotainment options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 01:27 PM
NukeThemTillThey
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Can someone explain the basics of the 2018 and 2019 infotainment options?

Android (Samsung Galaxy S9) phone user here, looking to buy either a new (but sitting on dealers lot for a while) 2018 Cayman GTS or a lightly used/low mileage 2018...and the mix of the various options, esp as it relates to an Android user, is very confusing. The local car that I am looking at (2018 Cayman GTS) has option 7UG (Nav) and QH1 Voice control. I know that there is also Porsche Connect and Connect Plus as well as CarPlay options. I'm not sure what can be added or enabled post manufacturing. What I know is this, please correct and/or expand on this if you can:
  • Porsche doesn't support Android Auto (maybe in the future), therefore no display on the main nav screen or small instrument panel when driving..ie. maps/nav.
  • You can do the above with an Apple phone and the optional CarPlay option. But must be connected via USB cable, not BT.
  • I can connect my Android phone via BT for handsfree calls.
  • Connect offers more built in apps as well as apps on your phone, but there are differences with Apple vs. Android features.
  • Connect Plus adds an LTE hotspot to the car for both general wi-fi use, but also drives some added data connectivity for built in functions, but not clear what those are.

I'm getting close to moving to a short list of cars across the nation I want to make offers on and want to narrow it down using must have vs. nice to have options and the connectivity concerns me as this is a car I expect to have for a long time. I might be willing to change to Apple phone, but that still doesn't fix things if certain options are not on car and/or can't be added. I'm also aware of the SDK Auto box that can be added and that might work too, but want to understand the basics from Porsche first. Please direct me to other sources if this has already been asked/explained.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:21 PM
SonicSid
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I run the Android Auto app on my phone screen so I can have Waze running in the car. The phone is mounted near the center console display. There are good phone mount kits that are super simple to install on the 718 dash. See sites Rennline and T-Design for more details on their mounts. I'm patiently waiting for AA if it will ever come to our cars. Nonetheless, the AA app running locally on my phone has been working just fine. I do have Connect Plus on my car, but it was already expired when I bought the car used and I haven't bothered to pay the $160 annual fee for it to be reactivated. Hopefully others will chime in to tell what I'm missing other than google map updates. Also, there is a 12v power outlet in the passenger side footwell (on my 718 Boxster S), so powering the phone in a non-intrusive manner is not an issue.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 PM
NukeThemTillThey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SonicSid
FWIW, I run the Android Auto app on my phone screen so I can have Waze running in the car. The phone is mounted near the center console display. There are good phone mount kits that are super simple to install on the 718 dash. See sites Rennline and T-Design for more details on their mounts. I'm patiently waiting for AA if it will ever come to our cars. Nonetheless, the AA app running locally on my phone has been working just fine. I do have Connect Plus on my car, but it was already expired when I bought the car used and I haven't bothered to pay the $160 annual fee for it to be reactivated. Hopefully others will chime in to tell what I'm missing other than google map updates. Also, there is a 12v power outlet in the passenger side footwell (on my 718 Boxster S), so powering the phone in a non-intrusive manner is not an issue.
Good info, thanks. I'd really like to avoid hqving to use a phone mount frmo the vent or otherwise, like Ive been doing for many years in my current ride (2011 Chevy Avalanche with built-in nav), but it is a fall back option. Really like to know, esp about the 2018's, what does what and what can be added after sale. Just stopped by the other P dealer in town and saw a 2018 Boxter GTS and Cayman GTS, both PDK, both with P Connect. They are willing to deal.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 PM
SonicSid
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, I'd also rather just have AA built in and not have to use a phone mount. However, the phone mount location is actually pretty good on the 718.
Here's what my looks like:

Mind you this is a custom mount I made so I could use a pro-clip mount. Sane normal people would simply buy one from T-Design or Rennline that mount in the same spot. It's angled towards me as a driver and blocks nothing, including the vents. Even the driver's cup holder still works, it's just a bit further away.

Suncoast has P-Connect upgrades available for Nav and Carplay, so those are options you can add later.

Last edited by SonicSid; 06-18-2019 at 10:36 PM. Reason: flickr link borked my post
Old 06-23-2019, 07:27 PM
NukeThemTillThey
Intermediate

Good info on the mount and the pic really helps explain it.

I might have answered my own question with this article I found for 2018 & 2019 cars. Sounds like CarPlay is a minimum needed to be able to use something other than just my phone screen to display wase. The built in Nav system seems rather lame if there is no way to update it live unless you get Connect Plus which can only be installed at build time. Connect is nice, but not a lot of extras that are must have compared to the base functionality of CarPlay. And of course, it ignores the most fundamental issue/problem...I don't have an Apple phone, I have Android. So either they come up with a field upgradable Android Auto solution or I might consider one of the AA systems (SDK Autos) that compliments the P Nav/PCM head unit. I guess then I need to supply that with either a wi-fi hotspot or my phone?

Quick Reply: Can someone explain the basics of the 2018 and 2019 infotainment options?