Sponsored by:

searching for my first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:30 PM
BMW_550i
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default searching for my first Porsche

I've been lurking here for a while. I was waiting for the 992 for a while but due to some financial situation I don't think I will afford it now.
The second choice was to get a 981 GTS. Which I really liked and it fit my budget. I went today to a dealer who had one with only 15k miles but unfortunately it had some paint work and it looks like the old owner didn't take a good care of the car.
Sitting next to it was a 718 GTS. It was in carmine red and gts interior. It had all the options I will put in a car if I ordered one.
I test drove it and I really liked it besides the exhaust note which wasn't that bad but not as good as the 981.
The 718 was 2018 but it was registered in 2019 and it is a manager car at the dealer which means they most probably used it a test drive car.
They offered a really good deal on it and the sale person also promised me he will try to lower the price more.
I will try to send the options later but I want to know will you go it ? Any 718GTS owner have buyer remorse?
Old 05-18-2019, 01:37 PM
SharkB8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

718 BGTS owner here!

Zero remorse and totally happy....even coming from a few 981s ('13 Base, '14 S with Borla exhaust). The new 718 GTS is EXTREMELY capable, even the exhaust sound doesn't disappoint (ymmv) once it opens up more (mine got more raucous after about 1k miles). Had mine spec'd with all the go-fast and go-hard bits...came to about $99k sticker. I'd totally do it again.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2019, 05:40 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

I don't have a GTS, but a base 718 Boxster and love it. Was going to go with a 981, but even the S felt too sluggish under 5k rpms for my taste. I do prefer turbo motors in many applications. Sure the F4 doesn't sound as good as the F6, but the F4 sounds very nice, IMO. Don't let that discourage you. A friend has a 981 base with a tune and exhaust and after having my 718 for a year and driving his 981, it feels painfully slow in comparison.

I had a 996 as well (yeah a lot older than the 992 for sure) and I really prefer the mid engine handling of the boxster / cayman platform. The turn-in, precision, and balance is brilliant!!!
Old 05-19-2019, 02:47 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 119 Posts

I’ve owned a 991.1 911S and 2 GT3s. Always wanted a Cayman and just bought a 718 gts for a DD at a great deal much like you are getting. Love the car so far no regrets. Extremely capable for a DD. Prefer the smaller, lighter, narrower dimensions to the 911. Very fast around town. Don’t love the sound especially after my previous cars but it’s not bad. Buy the car!
Old 05-20-2019, 06:34 AM
BMW_550i
Intermediate

Thanks a lot for your input. Should I be concerned about the car being used for test drive ? It only have 3k miles now and they will do full service before delivery.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:35 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW_550i
Thanks a lot for your input. Should I be concerned about the car being used for test drive ? It only have 3k miles now and they will do full service before delivery.
I'd try to make them certify it, if they haven't already. That would give you a 6 year (transferable) warranty, and give you complete peace of mind.

If it isn't already certified, your sales guy says they'll lower the price anyway. Just tell them you'd rather have them certify it. I don't know all the rules involved but if they give you pushback it's probably because it's uncertifiable... which likely means it's been flogged for those 3k miles and you should walk away. At a minimum request a DME report, especially if they won't certify it. Hopefully some other folk who are more familiar with that process chime in for added data points, but that's where I'd drive the discussion with the dealer.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:27 AM
BMW_550i
Intermediate

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'd try to make them certify it, if they haven't already. That would give you a 6 year (transferable) warranty, and give you complete peace of mind.

If it isn't already certified, your sales guy says they'll lower the price anyway. Just tell them you'd rather have them certify it. I don't know all the rules involved but if they give you pushback it's probably because it's uncertifiable... which likely means it's been flogged for those 3k miles and you should walk away. At a minimum request a DME report, especially if they won't certify it. Hopefully some other folk who are more familiar with that process chime in for added data points, but that's where I'd drive the discussion with the dealer.
I spoke with the sales person today. The car will have only the original warranty since it was only registered in 3/2019.
I forgot to mention I am from Middle East and this dealer is from UAE so we have different rules.

I lost my interest in the car after they refused to hold the car for me until I finish with the bank.
I am looking now for new one. Will keep you informed and thanks a lot for your support.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:54 PM
BMW_550i
Intermediate

So I was shopping around to check if I can get a new 2018 718 GTS . Found one that was just registered as a demo car but with only 200 miles.

Carmine Red
Interior Colour GQ Alcantara® Package GTS Carmine Red in conjunction with
GTS interior package
Exterior 602 LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
625 Porsche Entry & Drive
638 ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
748 Electrically folding exterior mirrors including courtesy lighting
XAN SportDesign package painted in black (high-gloss) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
XAY Rear wing painted in black (high-gloss) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Transmission / Chassis 250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
658 Power steering Plus
030 PASM sports suspension (20 mm lower) Wheels 433 20-inch Carrera S wheels Wheel Accessories XDG Wheels painted in black (high-gloss) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Interior 088 GTS interior package
P04 Sports seats Plus (2-way, electric)
583 Smoking package
581 Storage net in front passenger footwell
509 Fire extinguisher
Audio / Comm. 7UG Navigation module for PCM
9VL BOSE® Surround Sound System
Others 1T3 German First Aid Kit
447 Inflatable spare tire added

I think it is missing Apple CarPlay and Auto dimming mirrors . What is your thoughts about this build?
Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 99 Posts

What is the "447 Inflatable spare tire"? I don't see that on any configurators.
Thanks!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

The build on your Carmine Red GTS looks very good to me.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:43 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Let me just say that I love my Cayman GTS ! I have a 2012 Camaro ZL1 and a 2015 Z51 in the garage next to the GTS. I have not driven the Corvette or the Camaro in over a month but I cannot go more than a week without driving a GTS. I have tracked both Chevy’s numerous times but find the GTS to be the better car. I will probably sell the Corvette and Camaro sometime in the future. I had the advantage of not growing up with Porsche flat 6 sound so the flat 4 sound did not turn me off. I found the instant torque of the turbo four far more likable than the NA flat six. I did drive a 2016 GTS before I bought the 2018 GTS and had no regret buying the 718. The Cayman GTS has the same 0-60 time as my ZL1 and Z51. Again, I have no regrets. I do not think you will either.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:10 AM
BMW_550i
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Let me just say that I love my Cayman GTS ! I have a 2012 Camaro ZL1 and a 2015 Z51 in the garage next to the GTS. I have not driven the Corvette or the Camaro in over a month but I cannot go more than a week without driving a GTS. I have tracked both Chevy’s numerous times but find the GTS to be the better car. I will probably sell the Corvette and Camaro sometime in the future. I had the advantage of not growing up with Porsche flat 6 sound so the flat 4 sound did not turn me off. I found the instant torque of the turbo four far more likable than the NA flat six. I did drive a 2016 GTS before I bought the 2018 GTS and had no regret buying the 718. The Cayman GTS has the same 0-60 time as my ZL1 and Z51. Again, I have no regrets. I do not think you will either.
How about the exhaust sound. I just sold my V8 car (RCF) and still on the verge about buying a flat 4 engine car. I am afraid I might need to trade it in the future with a flat 6 ( may be a Boxster spyder)
Old 05-30-2019, 01:12 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW_550i
How about the exhaust sound. I just sold my V8 car (RCF) and still on the verge about buying a flat 4 engine car. I am afraid I might need to trade it in the future with a flat 6 ( may be a Boxster spyder)
Exhaust sound is subjective. I just sold my E92 M3, because it was sitting in the garage since I bought my 718 S, the exhaust sound on that car was sublime, especially when running to the 8400RPM red line. I also love the sound of the 2.5 F4, but I love the power delivery even more. I will miss the high revving V8, but as I said, the car was mostly gathering dust in the garage.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I am in similar place as you; but been trying to figure out best time to buy. Was btw a 781 GTS and 718 GTS (Prev had a 2015 Cayman S). Seem to be a decent number of 718 GTS Sitting at dealers still not sold have been hoping with the 718 T coming out the 2018 will fall in price some.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:01 PM
BMW_550i
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr Brendan Loehr
I am in similar place as you; but been trying to figure out best time to buy. Was btw a 781 GTS and 718 GTS (Prev had a 2015 Cayman S). Seem to be a decent number of 718 GTS Sitting at dealers still not sold have been hoping with the 718 T coming out the 2018 will fall in price some.
My dealer gave me a deal I couldn’t pass. But still looking if I can retrofit an autodimming mirrors. The other options I can live without.

Quick Reply: searching for my first Porsche