Sponsored by:

Boxster s vs boxster gts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Boxster s vs boxster gts

Trying to decide between an S and a GTS. First up was the S, it drove nice it had PASM and Sport Exhaust and had 2300 miles on it, overall it felt pretty tight and lively. The sport exhaust did not sound that great and you could barely tell it was there.

Next up was the GTS which only had 43 miles on it. Everything seemed much sharper and finer tuned. Suspension felt tighter, not sure if it had sport pasm or not. The car felt quicker to me and the turn in felt sharper as well. The exhaust also sounded better overall. The GTS just seemed like a finer tuned version of thr S. I know it has a little more HP, unless porsche is understating it on the GTS.

I dont know if it was just a psychological thing that it was a GTS or what, it just felt like it drove better overall.
Maybe because it was brand new?? I would think 2300 miles should not make a difference.

So bottom line I have a deal on a speed yellow gts. Has all the options I would want except PDLS. Is that standard maybe on the GTS? If not i guess it has standard lights?? How are those?? Weird that they would leave that out.

Its a $92,270 build they were asking $83k, now got them down to $76k. Is this a bad, ok, or pretty good deal???
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WP0CB2A87JS228722.pdf (30.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:11 AM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Crickets? No opinion
Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

You are getting an excellent deal on the GTS. Standard GTS headlights are okay for some, not great for others. I ordered my CGTS with the xenon PDLS+ since I wanted a brighter light and will drive my car to the gym early morning.
The GTS likely sounds better than the S because it has a different intake manifold. Good luck! Racing yellow is hot!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:21 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Take the deal and run. Great color. Great spec.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:39 AM
DriveInHouston
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the GTS and drive it like you stole it!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

I picked up a discounted 2018 GTS at the end of the year. It has the standard lights, if I was ordering I would have added the PDLS lights. The standard lights are 25watts, I swapped out the bulbs and ballast to the 35 watt versions (which is what comes in the PDLS lights). Made a big difference and easy to do. No issues with glare or headlight alignment. I do like the fact the standard lights do not include the headlight washers in the bumper.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:43 PM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

The story gets worse. I got the inspection report and it stated body damage which the guy claims he did not see. It has a bunch of scrapes underneath the front bumper and the passengers door. Now I have scraped the front bumper on my R8, since it was so low , but not under my door. They are putting it on a lift and shooting a video. Someone must have run over something. If its cosmetic it can be fixed, but they need to take more money off the car. They claim just cosmetic.

At this point see what they discount and have to get a PPI done on it now. Does anyone know a good independent shop in the Chicago area???

Don't want to find out it has under body damage more extensive then cosmetic. They offered me another $400 off. You got to be kidding
Old 04-25-2019, 10:34 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxdr1965
The story gets worse. I got the inspection report and it stated body damage which the guy claims he did not see. It has a bunch of scrapes underneath the front bumper and the passengers door. Now I have scraped the front bumper on my R8, since it was so low , but not under my door. They are putting it on a lift and shooting a video. Someone must have run over something. If its cosmetic it can be fixed, but they need to take more money off the car. They claim just cosmetic.

At this point see what they discount and have to get a PPI done on it now. Does anyone know a good independent shop in the Chicago area???

Don't want to find out it has under body damage more extensive then cosmetic. They offered me another $400 off. You got to be kidding
So the car has body damage with only 43 miles? That's probably why it hasn't been sold in 12+ months.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:47 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxdr1965

Pass on that car man. Some porter (dealer driver) probably drove over a damn curb in it.

Last edited by DAVfoto; 04-25-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:12 PM
SharkB8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks, because that car would have been awesome. I have a similar option build (mine came in around $99k)...and having owned and driven the last 2 gens (981, 982) in all configs (owned a '13 Base, '14 S, and now own a '18 GTS) I can positively say the GTS is my fave. I had a '17S launch car picked out in graphite blue that was a stunner, did the Porsche playground event and was extremely disappointed in the exhaust note (owned the '14S with a Borla at the time). I didn't think I'd be back in a Boxster/Cayman platform due to the switch...then I heard the GTS...and immediately dove in. So happy I did. It's a different sound that the 981, but I like it, and growing to like it more and more as it's opening up (seems like the 1k mile mark, things get a little more oompfh to the sound).

Ymmv. Good luck in your search!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Chester7
Racer

Run away from that damaged car! I still get Car Guru listings for CGTS and BGTS and I do wonder about 1 owner cars with less than ~500 miles. After hearing your adventure, I can see that some owners (or dealer porters) can do damage, and the owner unloads the car.
Careful inspection is required, and even then you can be fooled. Good luck! Don't give up!
Old 04-25-2019, 01:09 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

To add more food for thought, I actually very much prefer the GTS interior package- which that car doesn't have. Some people prefer leather and there is also the fact that you can't get cooled seats with the GTS package (I don't think you can at least)- but for me, the interior package is amazing and part of the benefits of picking the GTS.

Definitely interesting about the damage though. Do your due diligence on that one.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:39 PM
Chester7
Racer

Originally Posted by manifold danger
To add more food for thought, I actually very much prefer the GTS interior package- which that car doesn't have. Some people prefer leather and there is also the fact that you can't get cooled seats with the GTS package (I don't think you can at least)- but for me, the interior package is amazing and part of the benefits of picking the GTS.
Agree. I spec'ed my own GTS interior package: full black leather with racing yellow stitching and yellow seat belts, and black brushed aluminum interior trim. A bit pricey but I wanted it. I ordered ventilated seats too.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:17 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

I'd find a MT gts with a couple of nice to have options(leather int;pdls;car play&bose;prefer 2way seat) and call it a day
Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester7
Agree. I spec'ed my own GTS interior package: full black leather with racing yellow stitching and yellow seat belts, and black brushed aluminum interior trim. A bit pricey but I wanted it. I ordered ventilated seats too.
This is a really nice combo. If budget is tight I found that leather int with sport tex seat gives most bang for the bucks, for 2k you have leather dash and free silver stitching

Quick Reply: Boxster s vs boxster gts