Sponsored by:

Listed weight of car vs options

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Pcar81
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Listed weight of car vs options

Does anyone know how the listed weight changes by adding particular options?

I’ll just use one example.

The listed weight for the manual 718 Cayman GTS is 3032lbs.

Suppose I were to spec PCCB and/or sport PASM and /or power steering plus etc.
How would the weight change with respect to the listed weight?

In essence, what I am asking is the following:
what options does the listed weight on the Porsche spec sheet contain?
Steel rotors, basic suspension, 14 way seats, etc...
Or does it include all the upgrades like PCCBs, PASM, LWBs, power steering plus, etc to give buyers the lowest possible weight figures.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar81
Does anyone know how the listed weight changes by adding particular options?

I’ll just use one example.

The listed weight for the manual 718 Cayman GTS is 3032lbs.

Suppose I were to spec PCCB and/or sport PASM and /or power steering plus etc.
How would the weight change with respect to the listed weight?

Or does it include all the upgrades like PCCBs, PASM, LWBs, power steering plus, etc to give buyers the lowest possible weight figures.

Thanks
The listed weight is the dry weight of a base car of the model/variation you are looking at. No options and no fluids.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:29 PM
Pcar81
Instructor

Thanks Todd.

Is there a way I can find out the weight of the individual options as opposed to stock?

For instance, PCCBs vs steel, PASM vs stock suspension, 2 way sports seats vs LWBs etc?
Old 03-05-2019, 06:19 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks Todd.

Is there a way I can find out the weight of the individual options as opposed to stock?

For instance, PCCBs vs steel, PASM vs stock suspension, 2 way sports seats vs LWBs etc?
Some times in the Porsche press kits you'll find references to differences in parts especially things like the LWBSs. Each new car roll out has a press kit published by Porsche. They are informative, although won't get at exactly what you are trying to. You can search for press kits for various cars. Lots of cars use the 918 Spyder seat so chances are that one can be found.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Does anyone know how the listed weight changes by adding particular options? . . . .

My understanding is the weight quoted by Porsche is for a car spec'd with every lightweight option offered. For example, Porsche quotes my 981 Spyder at 2,899 lbs. That would be for a car with LWBs, PCCBs, small gas tank, radio delete, A/C delete, etc., etc. If you get sofas or add a radio or add A/C, for example, the weight goes up from 2,899 lbs.

That's my understanding of how all the manufacturers do it. They all play the same game. For instance, a buddy just told me that Ferrari recently announced the F8 Tributo will replace the 488 GTB.

https://www.motor1.com/news/307242/f...buto-revealed/

"The gain in performance was achieved not just by bringing the 488 GTB up to Pista levels of power, but by also putting the mid-engined V8 supercar through a diet. Indeed, the new F8 has shaved off a significant 88 pounds (40 kilograms) and now weighs as little as 2,932 lbs (1,330 kg) with all the lightweight options included."

So basically, one will have to spend a zillion more $$$$ in pricey CF Ferrari options to get that weight down to the quoted 2,932 lbs.

Originally Posted by Todd B
The listed weight is the dry weight of a base car of the model/variation you are looking at. No options and no fluids.
Hey Todd, my understanding is directly contrary to yours. My understanding is Porsche quotes the "curb" weight which is defined as "the total weight of the vehicle, including all necessary operating consumable such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and gas, while not loaded with either passenger or cargo."

Also, as indicated above, to get to the quoted weight I've always understood that one would have to order all the lightweight options available, usually at considerable cost, thus the frequent criticism of the way manufacturers quote their weights as very few people opt, say, for A/C and radio delete.

Yes. Several threads have addressed the weight savings achieved by ordering certain options. I'm going partially from memory here and these numbers apply to my 981 Spyder, but should be similar across the model range:

LWBs save approx. 32 lbs. over the standard sofa seats offered on the Spyder.
Radio delete saves approx. 9 lbs.
A/C delete saves approx. 20 lbs.
Small fuel tank (14.3 gallon) versus large (16.9 gallon) saves approx. 20 lbs.
No PASM saves approx. 11 lbs.
PCCB's save approx. 40 lbs. over steel.*

*Iron rotors = 24 lbs each x 4 = 96 lbs.
PCCB = 14.8 lbs front + 13.3 lbs rear = 56.2 lbs
Calipers and pads are similar, so ~ 40 lbs difference total.

Pretty sure these numbers are accurate, but someone correct me if you have contradicting figures.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:52 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey

Hey Todd, my understanding is directly contrary to yours. My understanding is Porsche quotes the "curb" weight which is defined as "the total weight of the vehicle, including all necessary operating consumable such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and gas, while not loaded with either passenger or cargo."
You're right, I was looking at a brochure that listed the dry weight of the car. But the manual lists the DIN and EU weights. In the US the "curb" weight is as you state.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:38 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
The stats I've seen had both a dry weigh and the DIN weight (which isn't just "dry").

The best ways to lighten the car are to drive on 'no' fuel, go on a diet, and kick out your passenger.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:46 AM
Pcar81
Instructor

S Jockey,

thanks for the info. That was exactly what I was looking for.

But I don’t think that radio and AC delete is an option on most models, especially the 718 (except Cayman T in Europe)
So are we to assume that the weight listed in the spec sheet on the Porsche website includes both the radio and AC?

Also do you know the weight difference between the 2 way sports seats PLUS (standard in Cayman GTS) vs LWBs?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2019, 01:20 AM
Pcar81
Instructor

And I’d also like to know the weight differences between the different lighting systems. (Bi xenon, PDLS plus, etc)
Old 03-06-2019, 03:11 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

S Jockey,

thanks for the info. That was exactly what I was looking for.

But I don’t think that radio and AC delete is an option on most models, especially the 718 (except Cayman T in Europe)
So are we to assume that the weight listed in the spec sheet on the Porsche website includes both the radio and AC?

I don't know for sure, but I would bet yes if there is no option to delete.

Also do you know the weight difference between the 2 way sports seats PLUS (standard in Cayman GTS) vs LWBs?
I don't, but this question (or a similar one) was posed and discussed in post #'s 5588 - 5600 in this thread on the GT4 forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/1033...8-gt4-141.html

You may be able to flush out an answer there.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:24 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

And I’d also like to know the weight differences between the different lighting systems. (Bi xenon, PDLS plus, etc)
It's interesting to know weight differences. Is there a bigger purpose in mind? Fact remains that regardless of options (less PCCB perhaps) the driver isn't going to tell much if any difference. It weight really matters, keep the tank at half full or less.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Fact remains that regardless of options (less PCCB perhaps) the driver isn't going to tell much if any difference. It weight really matters, keep the tank at half full or less.
That would depend on the driver. Someone asking the question might be the type that actually can feel the difference, or at least is participating in events where the results *could* be affected by small differences. Running said events with a low fuel level could create starvation issues, so that's not always the answer.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:36 AM
michael_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have too much to add, as this has already been an interesting read. This is certainly something I was following. I wish Porsche would allow us to spec and build an extra lightweight 912 esque car using today's platforms. I've been toying with the builder trying to see what options I would actually need or want in a distilled down sports car - and the driving factor when specing a car is always: How do I make it so simple and light that in 30 years it's still on the road and doesn't have a pesky navigation system which is long outdated compared to whatever cell phones are out at that time. It's tough to do in the time of electronic parking brakes, auto rev matching, blind spot and parking sensors, headlights that wash themselves, etc.

Anyways - back on track, thanks to those that posted the comparison weights of the buckets / brakes / etc!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When my SA was trying to talk me out of the power seats (he was trying to make sure I spec'd the things that were actually going to be important while keeping me in my price range) he mentioned that going w/ 2-way sport plus seats would save 40 lbs.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:16 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
That would depend on the driver. Someone asking the question might be the type that actually can feel the difference, or at least is participating in events where the results *could* be affected by small differences. Running said events with a low fuel level could create starvation issues, so that's not always the answer.
My input was in relation to street driving where gas levels aren't going to matter at all. Saving unsprung weight always makes a difference. If someone thinks they can feel small differences in option weight they're kidding themselves.

Quick Reply: Listed weight of car vs options