Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Geneva - 718 Spyder - best value winner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:32 PM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Geneva - 718 Spyder - best value winner?

We are rapidly approaching Geneva, and I hope the new 2020 718 Spyder will be revealed, rumored to be available in the US around December 2019.

Am I wrong in thinking this could be the best value opportunity in a while? Consider:

1) Appears to be NA (if yes, one of only 2 available Porsche NA convertibles)
2) Stick available
3) Compared to something like the speedster, likely half the price, or less
4) From the spy shots I actually like the aesthetics even better, the double hump look is always classic
5) Porsche will build enough I would assume it wont be as difficult as getting a GT3 or RS
6) Love convertibles

What am I missing? Hope we see it!
The following users liked this post:
Surge74 (06-23-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I think it could be a very, very sweet car. Hopefully they don't overengineer it with too many gimmicks.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by indianam3
We are rapidly approaching Geneva, and I hope the new 2020 718 Spyder will be revealed, rumored to be available in the US around December 2019.

Am I wrong in thinking this could be the best value opportunity in a while? Consider:

1) Appears to be NA (if yes, one of only 2 available Porsche NA convertibles) Will it have the GT3 4.0 or a GT4 Clubsport 3.8, former is what you want!
2) Stick available
4) From the spy shots I actually like the aesthetics even better, the double hump look is always classic
5) Porsche will build enough I would assume it wont be as difficult as getting a GT3 or RS
6) Love convertibles

What am I missing? Hope we see it!
Will it have the GT3 4.0 or a GT4 Clubsport 3.8, former is what you want!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:25 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If they put a 9000rpm 4.0 in it with 500/520 hp, sure, but it will be down on power and rpms from the GT3/RS/Speedster motor and, while it will be great, it won’t be GT3/speedster great.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:50 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

The last one was great. I've seen the new one and love it, have not seen official HP etc on it
Old 03-05-2019, 12:07 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The last one was great. I've seen the new one and love it, have not seen official HP etc on it
CJ. do you know if it will be revealed at Geneva?
Old 03-05-2019, 12:58 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

Would love to know if they'll surprise us with gt4 and Spyder but it doesn't seem like it :-/
Old 03-05-2019, 01:09 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
Would love to know if they'll surprise us with gt4 and Spyder but it doesn't seem like it :-/
My dealer said it might not be until Goodwood to reveal the GT4/Spyder.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:39 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

As a former owner of a 2016 Spyder and current owner of a GT4, I can say these cars really have a greater tendency to spin up the wheels than 911s under low speed hard acceleration, which is what most tend to think is the playground area of US driving. So dreaming of high(er) hp makes little sense to me. In order to add noticeable power you'll have to have far more traction than the 2016 models. In Germany higher power is of more use.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:34 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

1) Appears to be NA (if yes, one of only 2 available Porsche NA convertibles)
2) Stick available
6) Love convertibles
If you haven't already, you'll want to visit the 987-981 forum where there are 1,337 posts debating and discussing at length the 982 Spyder with respect to styling, anticipated cost/value, suspected mechanical specs, the possibility of it being a GT Dept. product, and the way it will likely differ from the 981 Spyder. See:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...t4-spyder.html

To address your specific points:

1) Appears to be NA - Yes
2) Stick available - Yes
3) Compared to something like the speedster, likely half the price, or less - Probably a fair statement, although the 982 will not be the value proposition the 981 Spyder or GT4 was. Porsche has certainly realized that it left money on the table when it priced the 981 GT4 and Spyder and they are unlikely to make that same mistake again. And if the car turns out to be a GT product, well, nothing GT is cheap! My wild guess is a base price north of $110K, perhaps well north, with a nicely equipped car north of $130K, although I'm in the minority with most thinking that's high.
4) From the spy shots I actually like the aesthetics even better, the double hump look is always classic Yes, the humps always look great and basically define the Spyder stylistically, but what has caused concern among many is the rear diffuser, which in test mules has looked far from elegant and tacked on in a way that looks, well, tacky. Personal opinion, of course, and YMMV.
5) Porsche will build enough I would assume it wont be as difficult as getting a GT3 or RS Don't be too sure. Historically, Spyder production has been very limited. 987 and 981 Spyders brought to the U.S. numbered in the mid-high 800's. There were 3x more GT4s sold than 981 Spyders as I recall. Thus, if history is any indication, supply will not be plentiful.
6) Love convertibles Ditto!

What am I missing?
Potentially, quite a bit depending on what you want in your sportscar. As MidEngineRules points out, the 981 Spyder has certain driving characteristics many of us cherish. Being purposefully under-tired, the car has a playful quality to it. A fear some of us have is that the 982 Spyder, particularly if it is a GT car, will have much more of everything -- hp, brakes, rubber, aero, etc. -- which will change the handling dynamics of the car considerably, perhaps making it heavier and/or more track focused and less street oriented. While more is usually better, that is not always the case and the Spyder ethos has always been less is more. By worshiping at the alter of ultimate grip, the car may be a totally different animal than the Spyders that have preceded it. Many of us don't think the car needs any more power so the 3.8 or 4.0 speculation that rages on is somewhat academic.

Personally, I think it's going to be a heck of a car on paper with stats and specs to make your mouth water, although high priced, not as much fun on the street, probably heavier, and more "serious" in nature, particularly if AP breathes on it. Basically, it's looking like an evolution of the Spyder some would prefer see go in a different direction, but that's a personal opinion and I can see the appeal for many -- more powerful, more expensive, faster, etc. My preference would have been to focus on shedding weight rather than adding power, rubber, grip, et al., because nothing beats the feel of a lightweight car and the ability to exploit on the street more power, rubber, grip, etc. is questionable IMO.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:45 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

^I would doubt that the spyder will approach track focus with associated parts. It'll get taste but IMO will be a street focused car.

Looking forward to it as I've always liked convertibles though never owned one. So that plus solid driving ability would be nice. Tough choice between that and 718 GT4.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:06 PM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
If you haven't already, you'll want to visit the 987-981 forum where there are 1,337 posts debating and discussing at length the 982 Spyder with respect to styling, anticipated cost/value, suspected mechanical specs, the possibility of it being a GT Dept. product, and the way it will likely differ from the 981 Spyder. See:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...t4-spyder.html

To address your specific points:

1) Appears to be NA - Yes
2) Stick available - Yes
3) Compared to something like the speedster, likely half the price, or less - Probably a fair statement, although the 982 will not be the value proposition the 981 Spyder or GT4 was. Porsche has certainly realized that it left money on the table when it priced the 981 GT4 and Spyder and they are unlikely to make that same mistake again. And if the car turns out to be a GT product, well, nothing GT is cheap! My wild guess is a base price north of $110K, perhaps well north, with a nicely equipped car north of $130K, although I'm in the minority with most thinking that's high.
4) From the spy shots I actually like the aesthetics even better, the double hump look is always classic Yes, the humps always look great and basically define the Spyder stylistically, but what has caused concern among many is the rear diffuser, which in test mules has looked far from elegant and tacked on in a way that looks, well, tacky. Personal opinion, of course, and YMMV.
5) Porsche will build enough I would assume it wont be as difficult as getting a GT3 or RS Don't be too sure. Historically, Spyder production has been very limited. 987 and 981 Spyders brought to the U.S. numbered in the mid-high 800's. There were 3x more GT4s sold than 981 Spyders as I recall. Thus, if history is any indication, supply will not be plentiful.
6) Love convertibles Ditto!

Potentially, quite a bit depending on what you want in your sportscar. As MidEngineRules points out, the 981 Spyder has certain driving characteristics many of us cherish. Being purposefully under-tired, the car has a playful quality to it. A fear some of us have is that the 982 Spyder, particularly if it is a GT car, will have much more of everything -- hp, brakes, rubber, aero, etc. -- which will change the handling dynamics of the car considerably, perhaps making it heavier and/or more track focused and less street oriented. While more is usually better, that is not always the case and the Spyder ethos has always been less is more. By worshiping at the alter of ultimate grip, the car may be a totally different animal than the Spyders that have preceded it. Many of us don't think the car needs any more power so the 3.8 or 4.0 speculation that rages on is somewhat academic.

Personally, I think it's going to be a heck of a car on paper with stats and specs to make your mouth water, although high priced, not as much fun on the street, probably heavier, and more "serious" in nature, particularly if AP breathes on it. Basically, it's looking like an evolution of the Spyder some would prefer see go in a different direction, but that's a personal opinion and I can see the appeal for many -- more powerful, more expensive, faster, etc. My preference would have been to focus on shedding weight rather than adding power, rubber, grip, et al., because nothing beats the feel of a lightweight car and the ability to exploit on the street more power, rubber, grip, etc. is questionable IMO.

Thanks for all the info!! Nice write up! I have owned one Boxster in the past, a 981, and miss it every day.

Question for you, I attended the NY International Auto show last year and will again this year. As Detroit has softened here in the US, the 991.2 GT3 RS and 911T debuted here in NYC last year.

Any chance the Spyder/GT4 might show up in NYC in April instead of GW ?

Thx!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Any chance the Spyder/GT4 might show up in NYC in April instead of GW ?
Not a chance (unfortunately). And Goodwood may be a pipe dream if recent articles discussing the status of future 718 models and their introductions are to be believed.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:38 PM
PLAY_HRD
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This weekend I was informed by a dealer that the 2020 Spyder will have the 4.0 engine, but no additional specs about hp were known. Even if it is a detuned 4.0 it should add improved low and mid-range torque. I'm holding out hope Porsche has finally put the proper rear gearing in the car, but I doubt they've fixed this "dead horse" issue. Porsche loves to purposely engineer flaws in their lesser cars to encourage buyer to buy the more expensive offerings... aka 911. The Spyder should a engineered as a great road car, that can easily handle autocross but isn't a full on track car.

Last edited by PLAY_HRD; 03-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:13 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAY_HRD
This weekend I was informed by a dealer that the 2020 Spyder will have the 4.0 engine, but no additional specs about hp were known. Even if it is a detuned 4.0 it should add improved low and mid-range torque. I'm holding out hope Porsche has finally put the proper rear gearing in the car, but I doubt they've fixed this "dead horse" issue. Porsche loves to purposely engineer flaws in their lesser cars to encourage buyer to buy the more expensive offerings... aka 911. The Spyder should a engineered as a great road car, that can easily handle autocross but isn't a full on track car.
The Spyder was never intended to be a track car, otherwise Porsche would have handed it over the GT department which they didn't. I can't imagine that 4 years has changed this philosophy. The Spyder is usually the lightest weight offering in a given year. With lightweight you don't want massive torque, unless all you want to do is push the limits of traction. Nonetheless, if these cars are judged by their residual value, the entry level 911s are the lesser cars.

Quick Reply: Geneva - 718 Spyder - best value winner?