Sponsored by:

Finally drove a 718...loved it

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanic
This YouTube clip is a year old now, but I think it's relevant here if for no other reason than to add another perspective re the 718: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhfb9uDGRE
Another perspective is right. Probably the oddest framing of a presenter I've ever seen, including crotch shots, and totally hilarious when he's sitting facing backward in the driver's seat. 4 minutes is all I could handle, and the first 2 minutes were all about how he likes the satin color finish of the wheels and front and rear fascia trim.

Not good
Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 PM
tehone
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Another perspective is right. Probably the oddest framing of a presenter I've ever seen, including crotch shots, and totally hilarious when he's sitting facing backward in the driver's seat. 4 minutes is all I could handle, and the first 2 minutes were all about how he likes the satin color finish of the wheels and front and rear fascia trim.

Not good
You can't help yourself can you! Don't forget your fries on the way out >

Otherwise, and interesting review and with exceptional camera work. European humour lost on some?

Thanks for posting.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM
jimmuller
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought some his logic didn't make sense, and when I watch videos like that I certainly don't need so much time with just music over panning images with no substantive content. But it was entertaining enough. Much of what he said made sense. Just not all of it!
Old 04-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Yc911Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 460 Posts

Not good
A bit odd but a decent review from a true driver, as a PDK gts owner I agree with him that MT suits this car better(if not mainly a track toy) . For me the most enjoyable driving with this car was done on somewhat twisty back road(with cornering speed ranging 30-60 mph) and I found myself just leave PDK to manual mode & paddling between 2-3 most of the time, so I'd imagine it will be more engaging & fun with an actual MT. Furthermore I think if budget/garage space allow, this and a 991 3rs would be a perfect p-car pair, but now I can only have one fun car so really looking forward to what the upcoming 718 spyder brings.

Just my 2c on the review & 718 gts
Old 04-10-2019, 09:43 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tehone
You can't help yourself can you! Don't forget your fries on the way out >

Otherwise, and interesting review and with exceptional camera work. European humour lost on some?

Thanks for posting.
I remember my second post. I lived in Europe. Perhaps you've visited??
Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM
tehone
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, yes, yes, we know you lived in Germany for 10 minutes. Maybe I've lived in Europe for longer and in more countries than you?
Your opinion of that video was ignorant, smug and worthless. Could you admit you know nothing about video producing?
Ketchup with the fries >>>
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

WOW! Someone that hates a car, just can't help but commenting over and over about said car that they no longer own. Dude get a life!
Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tehone
Yes, yes, yes, we know you lived in Germany for 10 minutes. Maybe I've lived in Europe for longer and in more countries than you?
I doubt it. 30 years of military service takes you places, some good-some bad, and people like you should just say thanks to all the people who make huge sacrifices so you be this contentious to a brand new audience you wish to be part of. My advice is lighten up. You're on your 3rd post and you're picking fights over an observation that was quite innocent actually and not meant to flame the guy. In your world is everyone required to share your opinions? Or just keep being this contentious over nothing and you won't last long here. Your choice. I'm sure your 4th post will be as snippy and idiotic.

Same for you X2Board. The day I comment about a 718 is the day you should post that. Until then, pretend you're your a nice guy from my home state.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I suspect MidEngineRules is just one of those guys who is perfectly nice and normal in person. He just has a way of being annoyingly opinionated on a message forum, and gets his rocks off on seeing people react. I think it's cute. He's certainly entertaining me, and I hope I get to meet him one day for a twisty mountain drive (even if they're just crappy mountains, since we're obviously not in Europe).

PS - I'll also buy you a beer after. Thanks for your service! Which branch?
Old 04-11-2019, 04:19 PM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've watched that video a couple/three times, and, you know, I just didn't notice that man's crotch at all. Not one bit. I mean, I'm sure he has one. But there was nothing about that video that drew my attention away from the automobiles, and directed it to the man's crotch, or his genitalia. I, for one, was consistently more interested in the cars, and the discussion concerning them, than I was in that man's crotch. Perhaps I should watch the video again, and be thinking about that man's crotch, and then see if I notice it. I could pause the video, and count the appearances. Maybe there is something very special about his crotch, and the enclosed (they are enclosed, aren't they? I didn't miss that, did I?) male genitalia. Maybe I'm missing an important part of that video. Come to think of it - was it really a video about the 718 at all? Right now I can't recall what the title was. Maybe, in fact, it was a video about men's crotches, and there were a couple of cars in it.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:20 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Same for you X2Board. The day I comment about a 718 is the day you should post that. Until then, pretend you're your a nice guy from my home state.
MidEngineRules, I am a nice guy

Thank you for your service first of all! Using myself as an example, I bought a 2016 Miata ND, after I sold my 991S, it turned out that I hated that car with a passion after a few months of ownership. I just don't see the need to go back to the Miata forums and crap on the car, as there are people that genuinely love it. All I'm trying to say is that your personal experience does not translate to someone else's. I bought a 718 S, it turns out that I enjoy it as much as I did my 991, 4 banger sound and all.

I should not have said "get a life", but enjoy what you enjoy, and let others enjoy what they enjoy.

If our paths should cross one of these days, the first round is on me!

Kind regards,

-Marlon
Old 04-12-2019, 11:42 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
I suspect MidEngineRules is just one of those guys who is perfectly nice and normal in person. He just has a way of being annoyingly opinionated on a message forum, and gets his rocks off on seeing people react. I think it's cute. He's certainly entertaining me, and I hope I get to meet him one day for a twisty mountain drive (even if they're just crappy mountains, since we're obviously not in Europe).

Well I learned to really drive in the mountains of North Carolina where I went to college. I'm from Charlotte, born and raised, and have many relatives in SC. Took my first steps on Myrtle Beach where we had a nothing little summer place. I don't get my rocks off on trying to be contentious. The opposite actually. I'm just direct and have a history of pulling for the underdog and giving the flipside of things. I think the 981 was getting blasted quite unfairly by 718 owners which I didn't like. It would have been great for all to play nice. But that wasn't the case and giving the 982 its own sub forum was the right answer. I'm not a more power is better guy. I prefer the 987 over any 981/982 for pure driving enjoyment. My only hang up currently is I cringe at every reference to the 718 GT4 or 718 Spyder. Those are 981.2s!

Cheers!
Old 04-12-2019, 02:05 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 496 Likes on 231 Posts

Agreed, and different viewpoints make a good forum, JMHO.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:03 PM
jimmuller
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

About that video...
Something doesn't make sense.

The guy in that video says the MT has 10 fewer lb-ft but holds the flat curve out to 6500 rpm. By Porsche's published specs for the PDK the curve is flat 2000-4500, with peak power at 6500. To put the numbers into perspective, if the torque is 280 lb-ft at 4500 it must have dropped to 194 lb-ft at 6500. If it dropped more than that the power peak would necessarily be at a lower rpm. Both engines are listed as 300ph and AFAIK both peaks are at 6500 rpm. So the implication is that MT isn't giving up much and presumably makes up the lost acceleration with the torque increase 4500 and 6500.

(Peak power occurs where, as rpm increases, the torque drops faster than the rpm is rising. In math terms dT/dR < -1. That's how you can calculate the torque at 6500 given what we know; it's the torque at plateau level times the ratio of rpms when it drops off to the rpm when peak power occurs.)

So if the supposed 270lb-ft torque curve really holds flat out to 6500rpm as he says then its power at that rpm would 417hp, i.e. 300 * (270 / 194). And unless torque falls off a cliff at 6500 the peak power would necessarily be at a higher rpm.

It could well be that for the MT the torque plateau is lower and falls off at a higher rpm, but that fall-off point can't be 6500. In fact, it can't be any higher than 4667rpm. I'm thinkin' the people doing those videos or writing those online articles saying specs like that aren't playing with a full gas tank. Their lights aren't on full high-beam. The are a few psi short of full tire pressure.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:35 PM
geemman
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree. I love my little mid-engine 4 banger Base Boxster. It is a very fun and fast (for me) car to drive and enjoy. There will always be haters who hate.

Oh, good. I'd hate for someone to talk about how much they love their car without having you here to �� all over it.

Quick Reply: Finally drove a 718...loved it