Sponsored by:

Finally drove a 718...loved it

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:32 PM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
I'm getting ready to be perhaps the shortest 718 owner in history. I originally bought the car (GTS) for my wife, and Apple CarPlay was a must. While every drive in it is disappointing (to me more so than my wife) mainly due not to the power of the motor or handling of the car, but how terribly rough the motor is in normal driving. I had opted to trade my Targa 4S for a GT4 I've been searching for, but now opt to get rid of the 718 instead. So my wife gets the 991.2 Targa (which is mega loaded including Apple CarPlay). In my shopping I contacted every single dealer with a GT4 for sale (about 20), plus many dealers with 981 Spyders, and 2 with 987 Spyders. What I've discovered is that 718s, no matter how equipped, lose tremendous value compared to most other Porsches. Dealers really don't want them back. I say buy one if you're planning on keeping it for a very long time (life of the loan or beyond). I would say that for a 991.2 as well unless it's a 911 T or GT2/3. The only Boxsters/Caymans that are keeping their value are Spyders (987 and 981), Cayman Rs, and GT4s. Your 981 GTS will keep its value far better than any 718. Several dealers made comments about the next generation 718 which is coming soon, and that it's going to make current 718 values drop even more. So I'm getting out of my 718 now, Apple CarPlay or not. Send your VIN to a dealer and see the abysmal trade in value yourself. As an example my 2017 Targa 4S with a MSRP of $178k now has a trade in value of around $125k and retail value of around $141k. It's a sinking ship. So are all 718s.

My last comment about 718 power is while yes it has power, but you have to put your foot into it to make it move just like a 981. Before owning one, all I ever heard is that a 718's power is effortless and that the 981 has to be majorly revved comparatively. That's BS. With the 718 you do feel a little more pull at lower rpms but by no means are you blasting away unless you're giving it gobs of throttle, just like a 981. But that little bit of extra torque is so not worth the awkwardness of the power delivery. And the sound of the 718 is so bad, I can't stand it. So after this, I'm not coming back to the 718 board unless it's to add comments to this thread.

thanks for the frank anecdote.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:54 PM
bluetick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Current Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman Will Stick Around Until 2023

Several dealers made comments about the next generation 718 which is coming soon. . . .
Soon-retiring Porsche sports car boss August Achleitner explains the surprising reason a new generation 718 is a while away.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...round-to-2023/
Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetick
Soon-retiring Porsche sports car boss August Achleitner explains the surprising reason a new generation 718 is a while away.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...round-to-2023/
Read that. If accurate which probably is, I can see sales really going south which could equate to big dealer discounts on new cars to the detriment of current car values.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:44 AM
bluetick
Instructor

Read that. If accurate which probably is, I can see sales really going south which could equate to big dealer discounts on new cars to the detriment of current car values.
Fortunately for me, I understood I was buying a depreciating asset, not a Bugatti. Big dealer discounts on new cars, such as they may or may not be, will not diminish my enjoyment of this car on the street or on the track.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:56 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bluetick

Fortunately for me, I understood I was buying a depreciating asset, not a Bugatti. Big dealer discounts on new cars, such as they may or may not be, will not diminish my enjoyment of this car on the street or on the track.
I'm so glad
Old 03-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Mbern
Intermediate

MidEngineRules,

I struggle to understand what compels you to hang around in a forum for cars you despise. I have owned many BMW's, some newer, but mostly older M3's for 25 years and have loved them the whole way. I still have two E36 M3 sedans. I am at a point where I can 'afford' a 718 base Cayman and absolutely love it. I can 'afford' higher end Porsches if I wanted to but I'm old and fat now so the base Cayman is fine for me, at least for now. I prefer the 6 cylinder engine in the previous Cayman but chose a 2k mile CPO car with 5 years, 7 months of Porsche warranty. My choice. And yes, I think the 6 cylinder cars sound better.

Now that I drank the Porsche Kool aide, I don't troll BMW forums to let everyone there know what a second class, worthless piece of **** they own. And how much better my car is. Or how much smarter I am. You can obviously afford many expensive Porsches and that's great for you. For some, including people reading your rants, the base Cayman may be the nicest, most expensive car they will ever own.

I encourage friends who own their version of their attainable dream car whether its a Ferrari, GT3 RS, Civic R, beetle turbo, or a ragged out 325. My friends run the full range. They are all car lovers and love what they can afford to drive. I loved what I could afford to drive most of my life. No apologies.

You come across like an insecure, successful Porsche owner who makes himself feel better by trashing others. And its probably not just on this forum....

So you might consider either going elsewhere or softening your tone. Just a thought....
Old 03-08-2019, 01:08 PM
idyfohu
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

@Mbern, poignant. +1
Old 03-08-2019, 03:35 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mbern
MidEngineRules,

I struggle to understand what compels you to hang around in a forum for cars you despise. I have owned many BMW's, some newer, but mostly older M3's for 25 years and have loved them the whole way. I still have two E36 M3 sedans. I am at a point where I can 'afford' a 718 base Cayman and absolutely love it. I can 'afford' higher end Porsches if I wanted to but I'm old and fat now so the base Cayman is fine for me, at least for now. I prefer the 6 cylinder engine in the previous Cayman but chose a 2k mile CPO car with 5 years, 7 months of Porsche warranty. My choice. And yes, I think the 6 cylinder cars sound better.

Now that I drank the Porsche Kool aide, I don't troll BMW forums to let everyone there know what a second class, worthless piece of **** they own. And how much better my car is. Or how much smarter I am. You can obviously afford many expensive Porsches and that's great for you. For some, including people reading your rants, the base Cayman may be the nicest, most expensive car they will ever own.

I encourage friends who own their version of their attainable dream car whether its a Ferrari, GT3 RS, Civic R, beetle turbo, or a ragged out 325. My friends run the full range. They are all car lovers and love what they can afford to drive. I loved what I could afford to drive most of my life. No apologies.

You come across like an insecure, successful Porsche owner who makes himself feel better by trashing others. And its probably not just on this forum....

So you might consider either going elsewhere or softening your tone. Just a thought....
I don't think it's your business to try to analyze forum members. No need to struggle. Plus you're not good at it.

Up until last Saturday (6 days ago) I owned a mild-spec 718 GTS so I'm not just trolling. It was my 9th Porsche. I find what Porsche will or won't do interesting. I love mid engine Porsches generally speaking and the 718 is the newest thing and its future is interesting. Everything but the 4 cylinder motor is fine with me, no matter how powerful or track capable it is. I only contribute to this forum (now) when I think there's misinformation or just straight Porsche talk. I've also advocated many times for base models over higher performance versions because they're more fun to wring out. Before buying the GTS, I optioned a base 718 Boxster but with the options I wanted the GTS was a better buy. I also found a used 2017 base Cayman locally with PDK and sport chrono and someone beat me to it. This car was something foe my wife and I to get more use of than the Targa. I never argue for more peak power, which is why I find myself at odds here especially when 981 bashing exists. To me it's about fun and reward. So my preference first is the 987 low production models (orange limited edition Boxsters, RS60 Spyder, 2011/12 Spyder and Cayman R) and second the 981 Spyder and GT4. Hard to think someone would buy new when those can still be had, and especially if driving is truly your motivation versus electronic gadgetry.

I also don't find lower end Carreras these days very exciting until I saw the Carrera T, which is impressive in its minimalist approach. I think of it as a Cayman with a large empty space behind the seats. Anyone who looks to spec a 6 digit 718 Cayman (very possible) should also consider the Carrera T. Some Carrera Ts are sitting on lots with the price slashed making them really good buys. It's also a more limited production car than a 718 so future value favors the T.

Anyway...enjoy what you have/like, and so will I.

Cheers

Old 03-08-2019, 03:37 PM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbern
MidEngineRules,

it's not a question of $$ from his perspective; you can get a cayman R or 987 Spyder for alot less money than a 4-cyl 718. plus, nobody likes an echo chamber. he brings up some viable points.

ETA: i think the 718 is an objectively desirable car, but certainly there's room for debate as there is with any car. 911s, being rear-engined, certainly aren't for everyone no matter how high the sticker.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:17 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chester7

Additionally, most GT4's I see for sale have at least two prior owners, despite mileage in the less than 6,000 range. This implies, to me at least, the GT4 may be a bit too track oriented for the street.
I had the same apprehension but what I've found is the ride isn't brutal (much more x73 like) and the stereo isn't bad either considering there were no stereo upgrade options. I got my GT4 for $10k under original MSRP which believe it or not is a good deal. Mine had 2150 miles at delivery. Ultimately I really missed NA, and for a long period of time I had 2 Porsches in the garage, mainly 987s ('08 and '11 Spyders and R). Now I found myself with a 991.2 Targa 4S and a 982 Boxster GTS (both PDK) in the garage and I started to really miss what I felt were more fun cars to own and operate. So I felt compelled to change at least one to NA for my sanity, which I did.

Of course I just had left knee surgery yesterday so I can't drive it for a while. Sucks!!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:45 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

I had the same apprehension but what I've found is the ride isn't brutal (much more x73 like) and the stereo isn't bad either considering there were no stereo upgrade options. I got my GT4 for $10k under original MSRP which believe it or not is a good deal. Mine had 2150 miles at delivery. Ultimately I really missed NA, and for a long period of time I had 2 Porsches in the garage, mainly 987s ('08 and '11 Spyders and R). Now I found myself with a 991.2 Targa 4S and a 982 Boxster GTS (both PDK) in the garage and I started to really miss what I felt were more fun cars to own and operate. So I felt compelled to change at least one to NA for my sanity, which I did.

Of course I just had left knee surgery yesterday so I can't drive it for a while. Sucks!!
Glad you like your GT4! I really wanted one but my driveway is so steep that I have to back all of my cars out on an angle. I avoided the Sport PASM on my CGTS order because I fear that is too low. I think you got a great deal at $10,000 off MSRP.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:40 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chester7
Glad you like your GT4! I really wanted one but my driveway is so steep that I have to back all of my cars out on an angle. I avoided the Sport PASM on my CGTS order because I fear that is too low. I think you got a great deal at $10,000 off MSRP.
Danke!

I found a house for sale which I liked better than what I bought 6 years ago, but the driveway was so steep you could never get a Porsche sports car up or down without badly scrapping the front end. My driveway has a little elevation change of about 2 feet from where it meets the street to the garage and I still have to go slow onto it otherwise the leading edge of the bumper lip would scrape. I can live with any Porsche suspension option, but that's about it.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:16 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Sometimes, it is good to have different perspectives on forums. When I joined Ferrarichat over 15 years ago, I decided that even Ferrari's (I have a tuned California T with 488 power and a Capristo exhaust) can be better and set out to change one of mine. I was almost thrown off. Now I get asked questions about what can be done. I have 4 Porsche's right now (2 911's ( one 911 has over 335K invested in it a one of a kind) 2 718 Caymans), and I they could not be more different, but I like them all. My base gearshift 718 has already had it's ECU unlocked and it is tunes, today starts the install of the downpipe, exhaust, sort shift kit, and new pedals. I don't know exactly how much power it will gain, my guess would be about what a current GTS has, but it will certainly sound better. I tend to think no car out of the box is perfect for me, so I try and make them better, if that does not work, well then I move on. One of the techs at Algar Ferrari recently said something to me it was this "Dude you have probably forgotten what you forgot about cars". He might be right but I like to read about what people think about their cars, I don't usually agree, but I defend their right to their opinions.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

This YouTube clip is a year old now, but I think it's relevant here if for no other reason than to add another perspective re the 718: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhfb9uDGRE
Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 AM
Robbie Ezcurra
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Finally drove a 718...loved it