Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   718 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-forum-246/)
-   -   Back to six cylinder? (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-forum/1127821-back-to-six-cylinder.html)

Archimedes 02-14-2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR (Post 15634798)
The GT2 RS begs to differ! :D

Strangely, most of the reviewers are preferring the GT3 RS to the GT2 RS.

My point being, NA is only a dead end due to regulatory pressures, not due to any inherent flaw. For many, it still provides the most visceral, involved driving experience you can get. There will be naturally aspirated cars sold for a while yet and there will always be millions of them out there for purchase on the secondary market. Some people don't have shiny penny syndrome and some don't see a closed course lap time as the most important factor in their buying decision. Different strokes and all that.

CaymanSinAR 02-14-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 15638941)
For many, it still provides the most visceral, involved driving experience you can get.

This with a side of this.

Aside from a day at the track a couple of weekends ago it's been a long time since I've driven my 981 BGTS (too cold for summer tires). Put a new set of wheels and tires on it and drove it today to make sure they were balanced properly. Man, what a world of difference between it and my 991.2. I really like my 991.2 as a daily, but I'd forgotten how special the 981 really is. The sound is so raw, visceral, and aggressive. And that's in regular driving without PSE engaged. Everything feels mechanical and surgical precise. Love it.

I took my 2001 Miata out over the weekend. First time since October. After an hour of driving my face hurt from smiling. No better car for fun driving on the street.

MidEngineRules 02-14-2019 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR (Post 15638971)
This with a side of this.

Aside from a day at the track a couple of weekends ago it's been a long time since I've driven my 981 BGTS (too cold for summer tires). Put a new set of wheels and tires on it and drove it today to make sure they were balanced properly. Man, what a world of difference between it and my 991.2. I really like my 991.2 as a daily, but I'd forgotten how special the 981 really is. The sound is so raw, visceral, and aggressive. And that's in regular driving without PSE engaged. Everything feels mechanical and surgical precise. Love it.

I took my 2001 Miata out over the weekend. First time since October. After an hour of driving my face hurt from smiling. No better car for fun driving on the street.

Concur with explanation. The 991.2, while brilliant, is sedate. It's a great environment in which to drive in, but viscerally it's lacking. 991.1s and 981s are far better toys if you want lots of feedback from planting your foot. I also owned 2 first generation Miatas when I lived in Hawaii. I thought they were the perfect island car. I agree on slow roads they are a lot of fun as you get to wind them up. On bigger roads, the NA6 provides the same sensation, if you can get over the extra risk to your license. There's nothing a Miata can do better than a Porsche, except give you more thrill at lower speeds. My issue with the 718 has always been that the car is too easy to drive; therefore lacks fun. I say that with one (718 BGTS) sitting in my garage. Definitely the least fun Boxster/Cayman I've owned (of 6), no matter how capable and quick it is. And it is definitely capable and quick.

CaymanSinAR 02-14-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules (Post 15639203)
There's nothing a Miata can do better than a Porsche, except give you more thrill at lower speeds.

The only caveat I'll add to that is lightness. Of course that might be part of what you are referencing, but as much as I love my 981 it can't match the the feeling of lightness I get when driving my Miata. You can steer it through the curviest canyon with nothing more than a thumb and index finger on each hand, placing the car exactly where you want it with little more than a thought. And that steering feel...*

* I know. Not fair to compare the hydraulic NB2 to the electric 981.

MidEngineRules 02-14-2019 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR (Post 15639331)
The only caveat I'll add to that is lightness. Of course that might be part of what you are referencing, but as much as I love my 981 it can't match the the feeling of lightness I get when driving my Miata. You can steer it through the curviest canyon with nothing more than a thumb and index finger on each hand, placing the car exactly where you want it with little more than a thought. And that steering feel...*

* I know. Not fair to compare the hydraulic NB2 to the electric 981.

One reason I love 987s so much is the steering. Combined with X73 suspension such as standard in the 2011 Boxster Spyder and 2012 Cayman R made for the most balanced and precise Porsches I've owned. They are also the lightest Porsches I've owned or driven. The RS60 as in my avatar is an honorable mention as it ushered in 300 hp 987s, and the howl of the non-DFI motor w/PSE is intoxicating. 987s have a fun factor that Porsche progressed away from. Partly that tossible feeling.

chriswd62 02-20-2019 09:51 AM

Here are some new spy shots of the Boxster, with some close up shots of the rear diffuser and exhaust. Another thing that stands out to me is the ride height, as it looks to sit a bit higher than the cars equipped with the Sport PASM option. I'm wondering if this model will be offered with the standard -10mm PASM, along with Sport PASM, just like the standard 718 S and GTS.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b55510e478.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...367153f29b.jpg

Nin Din Din 02-20-2019 03:26 PM

Briefly last Spring I looked for a 718 Box S for my wife. Glad I kept my powder dry. If the 6 cyl 718 comes out next year, we’ll be a 3 Porsche family.

Yellow Submarine 02-20-2019 03:56 PM

Maybe it's a 2 cylinder. Would be a fitting stopgap for 2022 when the 718 will be a zero cilinder EV.

:icon107:

worf928 02-20-2019 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine (Post 15652286)
Maybe it's a 2 cylinder. Would be a fitting stopgap for 2022 when the 718 will be a zero cilinder EV.

:icon107:

Too expensive to develop. A Flat 3 would be cheaper :)

visitador 02-21-2019 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by worf928
Too expensive to develop. A Flat 3 would be cheaper :)

Porsche is buying Subaru's 3.6 engine as a stopgap before full EV. Got a good price since Subaru is discontinuing it

worf928 02-21-2019 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by visitador (Post 15654577)
Porsche is buying Subaru's 3.6 engine as a stopgap before full EV. Got a good price since Subaru is discontinuing it

Whao. You may have crossed a line there.

visitador 02-21-2019 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by worf928

Yup
:roflmao:

worf928 02-21-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by visitador (Post 15654916)
Yup
:roflmao:

:p

DriveInHouston 02-21-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by visitador (Post 15654577)

Originally Posted by worf928 (Post 15654794)

He's got it half right worf928.

It is an even trade. Porsche got the Subaru engines to try to figure out why Japanese taxis for crying out loud, are blowing the doors off the Carreras for the last twenty years...

Subaru in return, got a boatload of NA-6 engines that are useless (to Porsche anyway). They are trying to put them in one of their cheaper SUVs like the Forester... :bigbye:

worf928 02-21-2019 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by DriveInHouston (Post 15655267)
It is an even trade. Porsche got the Subaru engines to try to figure out why Japanese taxis for crying out loud, are blowing the doors off the Carreras for the last twenty years...

Subaru in return, got a boatload of NA-6 engines that are useless (to Porsche anyway). They are trying to put them in one of their cheaper SUVs like the Forester... :bigbye:

Peyote? Naw, that was outta fashion already when I grew up in Texas. Must be the refinery fumes. You live on the Galveston side, yes? :p