718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Joined - First Purchase Coming! Questions

Old 01-27-2019, 10:47 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 149 Posts

Hello and welcome to the world of Porsche. I'm not sure how much help this will be but I have owned two 911's and just ordered a Cayman GTS. One 911 was bought off the showroom and the other was a CPO purchase. The Cayman is the first purchased from scratch. Before going to the dealership, I spent extensive time on the configurator and looked at in stock cars, particularly CPO and used. I couldn't find the exact build I wanted so I decided to order new and contacted several local dealerships upfront to see what they were offering. Had I found a CPO to my liking, I would have gone that route - more bang for the buck.

The norm here seemed to be around 6 - 8% off list and other incentives like a trip down to Atlanta to pick up the car with the dealership picking up that cost and airfare. I decided that my build, very similar to yours made the price of the S and GTS so close that it just seemed easier to go with the GTS. I called my closest dealer and gave him the parameters of the best offers and we agreed on a mutual acceptable price over the phone. I then visited and locked in the build and allocation with a $5K deposit. The allocation was in January for an early April tentative delivery. If you're looking for the car in April I would nail down the allocation very soon or get ready to buy something in stock and compromise on some of your desired options. 10% off list for something in stock would have been no problem here.

As far as things like power seats, personal choice. I had the 2 way seats in one car and the 14 way in the other. With entry and drive, the seats move back to make entry and exit easier and go back to the memory setting when started. The 2 way seats do not give you that function. Perhaps not important but up to you. Seats are a pretty expensive option but so is entry and drive so only you can decide if you want them. I also like the multifunction steering wheel but refuse to pay for colored seat belts, again - your choice only. Most of these types of options will not bring anything more back when it is time to sell.

As to MPG, I am currently driving an Audi RS3 as my DD (trying to sell that now) and I can state that the mileage figures are way off actual mileage unless you drive without engaging the turbo most of the time. If you are an aggressive or "spirited" driver, I would not expect to see the numbers that are advertised.

Good luck with your purchase.

Originally Posted by aldiaz2331
Hey Everyone!

Obviously new to the forum, just found it a few hours ago. I am in the process of ordering a Cayman S with all sorts of little goodies, it will be my first Porsche! I'm really excited and actually had a nice experience when I visited the dealership. I feel like I got more respect and was taken care of much better than when I purchased my Cadillac some years back.

Anywho, with ordering the car, what is the best time to start nailing down the actual price? I am used to buying cars, but I normally take what's on the lot unless there's nothing close to what I want, and I'm very picky! I've heard that you don't actually start talking about costs until the car comes in, and the negotiating (whatever little there may be with a custom order) begins.

Lastly, what are some of the real world MPG figures everyone is seeing from the 2.5L S? I don't particularly care, but am still curious if it's staying true to the sticker. Of course, I'm sure everyone is driving them to enjoy them, so what it will most likely be is, not even close because we all have the lead foot and heavy hand on the shifter. Thanks everyone for your thoughts in advance. I look forward to becoming part of the Porsche Owners family.

BTW: My build

Base Price 718 Cayman S

Exterior Color
Agate Grey Metallic
Interior Color
Standard Interior in Black i.c.w. Leather Sport Seats Plus
Packages
Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
Bi-Xenon™ Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System
Light Design Package
Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
Porsche Entry & Drive
2-Zone Automatic Climate Control
Seat Heating
Seat Ventilation
Exterior
"718 Cayman S" Logo changed to "718"
Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in Exterior Color Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Performance
6-speed Manual Transmission
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (Lowered 10 mm)
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Tailpipes in Silver Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Power Steering Plus
Wheels
19" Boxster S Wheels
Lights and Vision
Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
Interior
GT Sport Steering Wheel
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Audio and Communications
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Apple CarPlay® incl. Siri®
Old 01-27-2019, 01:17 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 01-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Max718-19
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and good luck on your Cayman purchase. My experience was to negotiate on the spec I wanted, which is similar to yours for 19 Boxster S. I found GTS 5k higher and did not want 20in wheels or alcantara. I also have 6spd manual. I average 27mph on mixed driving. PSE is standard equipment on all 2019 Boxster and Caymans. I locked price 2 months before a build slot was available. Work for 5-8%. I worked across 3 dealers.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:33 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All turbo charged cars in particular have MPG figures that can vary substantially based on how you drive it. You can get the quoted MPG but chances are that you won't drive it in the manner that they drive to get those quoted figures.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:42 PM
aldiaz2331
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for the kind words. My order is in!! The dealer I ultimately went through had 3 spots ready to go for February 5th. Right now the tentative date to get the car is May 17th. I'm hoping for a bit sooner. I did wind up tweaking the build around a bit, adding the LED headlights and leaving the whole model badge. Ultimately, I'm really excited about the car and can't wait until I take delivery! Today it's 60* here in Rochester, NY and as I was driving around for a little bit, I heard a car coming down the road, it was a Cayman, and it just made me smile to think about the idea that soon that would be me!
Old 02-04-2019, 02:48 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by aldiaz2331
Thank you everyone for the kind words. My order is in!! The dealer I ultimately went through had 3 spots ready to go for February 5th. Right now the tentative date to get the car is May 17th. I'm hoping for a bit sooner. I did wind up tweaking the build around a bit, adding the LED headlights and leaving the whole model badge. Ultimately, I'm really excited about the car and can't wait until I take delivery! Today it's 60* here in Rochester, NY and as I was driving around for a little bit, I heard a car coming down the road, it was a Cayman, and it just made me smile to think about the idea that soon that would be me!
FYI There is a dedicated 718 forum. www.718forum.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just Joined - First Purchase Coming! Questions