Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 to replace GT4 for AutoX?

Old 01-20-2019, 12:29 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 718 to replace GT4 for AutoX?

My wife currently has a GT4. She loves it, but wants to get more into AutoX and DE, and I would rather sell it, get something cheaper, and have more money to do the events. She is a novice, as am I, so car choice won't make a huge difference.

We have primarily been looking at 987.2 Spyder models (very light) or other 987.2 models, perhaps a 991, but what about a base 718 Cayman? I haven't driven one. Will the stock non-PASM suspension be a huge let down over the GT4? One of the nice things about the 987.2 Spyder is that it gets the Cayman R suspension. I can also easily find X73 on a 981. I don't see many base 718 models with any sort of suspension upgrade. As you know, the GT4 is amazingly locked down and a real joy to drive.

Thoughts?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:05 PM
NOVA718
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT4 fared well at the national autocross event in 2018. A GT4 won the event. So nothing uncompetitive about the car.

Autocross has classes that ensure competitiveness. As a novice, you will do just as well (or poorly) against the field no matter what car you have. So I would say going to autocross is no necessarily a good reason to part with a car like the GT4. Autocross events are cheap, track days not so much. I would suggest you look at the upcoming Cayman T. It is the base model with all the suspension and chassis upgrades you want. My wife and I have been doing AX for 3 years now and we are looking hard at the Cayman T for AX and Time Trials. The only thing that sucks is that with the 20" wheels you can't get the 200 treadwear Bridgestone RE-71Rs that currently rule autocross. Strangely enough the GT4 can get them. I'd try a year with the GT4 to see if the costs are as bad as you think. You really just burn through tires, pads, and rotors. Are those particularly expensive on the GT4?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NOVA718
The GT4 fared well at the national autocross event in 2018. A GT4 won the event. So nothing uncompetitive about the car.

Autocross has classes that ensure competitiveness. As a novice, you will do just as well (or poorly) against the field no matter what car you have. So I would say going to autocross is no necessarily a good reason to part with a car like the GT4. Autocross events are cheap, track days not so much. I would suggest you look at the upcoming Cayman T. It is the base model with all the suspension and chassis upgrades you want. My wife and I have been doing AX for 3 years now and we are looking hard at the Cayman T for AX and Time Trials. The only thing that sucks is that with the 20" wheels you can't get the 200 treadwear Bridgestone RE-71Rs that currently rule autocross. Strangely enough the GT4 can get them. I'd try a year with the GT4 to see if the costs are as bad as you think. You really just burn through tires, pads, and rotors. Are those particularly expensive on the GT4?
Hi Nova,

Thank you for the response! It is more about the overall cost of the car: I could get into a low mile base 718 for the low 50's, and sell the GT4 for the mid 80's. I wouldn't mind having that cash on hand! From a driving perspective, I don't want the 718 to be a huge step down from the amazing GT4, but I also don't mind a bit less of a financial commitment! It will also be my occasional DD, which the GT4 excels at!
Old 01-20-2019, 02:54 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

One question I have is what class do you plan to auto-x in? From a powertrain point of view, I would guess the 718 with the low-mid range torque advantage of the turbo-4 would be better for auto-x than the GT4 along with the super tall 1st and 2nd gear of the GT4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 718 to replace GT4 for AutoX?